March 17, 200917 yr This usually includes transfers and early departures.... So if a kid entered School A but graduated from School B is A dinged?
March 17, 200917 yr Author from the link: The graduation rates were based on whether freshmen who entered school between the 1998-99 and 2001-02 school years earned diplomas within six years. Also noticed that FSU is 100%..... ugh... ok. It's easy when you got all the answers. 100% graduation rate and zero wins :thumb:
March 17, 200917 yr So if a kid entered School A but graduated from School B is A dinged? Yes.... Transfers really hurts them. Honestly this entire article is a little misleading. The APR is all that matters. If you are below a 925 for 3 years, a team can lose 10% of their scholarships (according to tidesport.org.) UofL is a 941, Morehead St is a 877, WKU 937 Edited March 17, 200917 yr by LCPATS
March 17, 200917 yr Yes.... Transfers really hurts them. Honestly this entire article is a little misleading. The APR is all that matters. If you are below a 925 for 3 years, a team can lose 10% of their scholarships (according to tidesport.org.) UofL is a 941, Morehead St is a 877, WKU 937 That's what I got from reading the study as well. Western has a 100 percent graduation rate, but their APR is lower than Louisville's. I really don't understand this study.
March 17, 200917 yr Yes.... Transfers really hurts them. Honestly this entire article is a little misleading. The APR is all that matters. If you are below a 925 for 3 years, a team can lose 10% of their scholarships (according to tidesport.org.) UofL is a 941, Morehead St is a 877, WKU 937 I think graduation rate is all that matters. That's why a student is supposedly in school, isnt it?
March 17, 200917 yr That's what I got from reading the study as well. Western has a 100 percent graduation rate, but their APR is lower than Louisville's. I really don't understand this study. Graduation rates and APR are independant of each other. One is a historical number, the other is more of a progress report for the roster at a particular point in time.
March 17, 200917 yr A study has been released that details graduation rates of the NCAA Tournament teams. Western Kentucky is one of 7 teams with a 100% graduation rate. U of L is a little less than stellar at 42%. UCONN is 33% North Carolina is 86% The five lowest rates were at Cal State Northridge (8 percent), Maryland (10 percent), Portland State (17 percent), Arizona (20 percent) and Clemson (29 percent). http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/news/story?id=3987923 What in the world is going on at CS-Northridge?:ohbrother: I take it is not going to class. :lol:
March 17, 200917 yr I am shocked at the disparity between African American and White basketball players when it comes to the graduation rate. For example: Morehead, 43% rate for African Americans and 60% for whites, Ohio State 44% African Americans and 100% whites, West Virginia, 30% and 50%. There are worse schools, but I was concentrating on our area schools. Anyone have an opinion on this?
March 17, 200917 yr I am shocked at the disparity between African American and White basketball players when it comes to the graduation rate. For example: Morehead, 43% rate for African Americans and 60% for whites, Ohio State 44% African Americans and 100% whites, West Virginia, 30% and 50%. There are worse schools, but I was concentrating on our area schools. Anyone have an opinion on this? What % of the basketball population at each school is white? My guess is that if you bring in 4 or 5 kids per year on average 1 to 1.5 are white. That is going to skew the numbers.
March 17, 200917 yr I think graduation rate is all that matters. That's why a student is supposedly in school, isnt it? I am referring to penalties/sanctions, etc. I disagree, a kid who goes to a major University to play basketball is not too concerned with graduating. That doesn't make it right, just the truth. It would be interesting to see how schools are graduating students as a whole, instead of breaking down by sports. I would be willing to beat many more athletes graduate than the normal student. The percentage would be very low. How many kids go one semester and quit? This statistics are flawed too. Most big universities have a lot of early departures and transfers that hurt their graduation rate. You should compare apples to apples.
March 17, 200917 yr McGee and T-Will are both on track to graduate. That is good enough for me. The "scholar-athlete" mantra for DI basketball and football has never held much water for me. Lets call it what it is, and all involved are guilty.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.