Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UNC and UK

Featured Replies

And their going to lead it again...:thumb:

 

So will UK. So what??

  • Replies 46
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So will UK. So what??

 

No they won't. Not after UNC takes over. :thumb:

No they won't. Not after UNC takes over. :thumb:

Did you think UNC would lose it back after they gained it before? What leads you to unequivocally say they'll never trail again?

Did you think UNC would lose it back after they gained it before? What leads you to unequivocally say they'll never trail again?

 

UK has Gillispie.

No they won't. Not after UNC takes over. :thumb:

 

:laugh::laugh:

You UK fans probably thought the day would never come that UK gets overtaken for the all time's wins list but that day will soon be here...:dancingpa

 

And their going to lead it again...:thumb:

 

I find it glaringly funny that you missed a game that you didn't even know they were playing, and are still a "proud" Tarheel fan....I find that convenient.

 

I'm a UK fan, but I for one could care less who's won more games. I despise those who feel they need to bring this up constantly. Championships is the number that is important.

 

 

Championships? Really? Most came well before most of us were born, and well before the game evolved into racial equality, etc.

I find it glaringly funny that you missed a game that you didn't even know they were playing, and are still a "proud" Tarheel fan....I find that convenient.

 

That's nice.

 

I must not be "proud" because RP said so...:scared: :lol:

Championships? Really? Most came well before most of us were born, and well before the game evolved into racial equality, etc.

What year would you say it's fair to start counting from? Obviously I know that the '58 title and before that is in the time you're talking about, but how far back should we go? I'd be interested in knowing the score from that point.

 

For instance, if we were starting from a round year, like 1970, UCLA would be in front with 6, followed by Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina with 3.

What year would you say it's fair to start counting from? Obviously I know that the '58 title and before that is in the time you're talking about, but how far back should we go? I'd be interested in knowing the score from that point.

 

IMO, I would say about where the integration took place.....was that '66, '69 etcetera....I'm not saying UK couldn't embrace that history, but I do think there's something there that wants for more....in reality a lot of today's youth (not in Kentucky) wouldn't embrace their history like it is here.

That's nice.

 

I must not be "proud" because RP said so...:scared: :lol:

 

Never said that....but most fans (and you know the derivative of the word) would know the goings on of their team. I'm just sayin'.

IMO, I would say about where the integration took place.....was that '66, '69 etcetera....I'm not saying UK couldn't embrace that history, but I do think there's something there that wants for more....in reality a lot of today's youth (not in Kentucky) wouldn't embrace their history like it is here.

I think fans of traditional programs always reach back that far, because it's part of their tradition. Other places have much more recent history, like a UConn, Michigan State, or Florida.

I think fans of traditional programs always reach back that far, because it's part of their tradition. Other places have much more recent history, like a UConn, Michigan State, or Florida.

True, now I tend to go back to when I was born (which was '77), that would put UK at 3, Duke at 3, etc....but I am not naive enough to not count the UCLA run, or the rest of the 70's. Before integration? I don't really care about it.

True, now I tend to go back to when I was born (which was '77), that would put UK at 3, Duke at 3, etc....but I am not naive enough to not count the UCLA run, or the rest of the 70's. Before integration? I don't really care about it.

 

I dont care about it before 95 or after 98. UK is at 2, Zona at 1 and no one else is close. :p

I find it glaringly funny that you missed a game that you didn't even know they were playing, and are still a "proud" Tarheel fan....I find that convenient.

 

 

 

 

Championships? Really? Most came well before most of us were born, and well before the game evolved into racial equality, etc.

 

Not totally accurate there.

 

UK has 7 NCAA titles. Of the 7, 4 were won when African-American players were involved.

 

1958 UK defeated Seattle with the great Elgin Baylor and Charley Brown. That's hardly a team without racial equality.

 

1978, 1996 and 1998 are self-evident. (though I might add that of the 7 primary players on the Duke Team KY defeated in '78, only 2 were African-American which might not speak well of racial equality on their side but I think it was just an anomaly not a statement ot racial equality at Duke. (sp?))

IMO, I would say about where the integration took place.....was that '66, '69 etcetera....I'm not saying UK couldn't embrace that history, but I do think there's something there that wants for more....in reality a lot of today's youth (not in Kentucky) wouldn't embrace their history like it is here.

 

Again, see my post above. Integration in the country was already happening. St. John's had Solly Walker on their 1952 NCAA runner-up team. That was a team UK smashed by 40 in Lexington and lost by about 5 to in the NCAA Tourney.

 

Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Bill Russell, KC Jones, and Wilt Chamberlin were all playing long before '66.

 

Now if you want to say that the South was not integrated you would be correct. That did not happen until the late 60's at any length and really until the early 70's. This was true in Football and Basketball both.

 

BTW, do you feel the same way about the Yankees? Do we disregard anything they did prior to Jackie Robinson? But since the league never really integrated much till the 60's, would we discount anything prior to that for the Yankees as well? The Celtics in the NBA?

 

As to embracing history, I agree, many of today's youth don't embrace KY basketball tradition. Why? Probably because we have been hit and miss in the contention scale for a decade. If you asked youth in the 90s they would have embraced KY tradition because they were winning and contending many of those years.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.