2009 Class 5A - Early Thoughts?

jbwill2

I thought we'd hear some early thoughts about Class 5A this year.

In Northern Kentucky, Highlands will likely be the preseason number-one team in 5A. I have heard that Dixie Heights will have a good amount of talent and experience returning, and should be improved over previous years' squads. CovCath will have a new coach this year, and it may be a "transition" year for them.

How is 5A looking in other parts of the state?

I am going to say in the Western side of the state it will be the usual suspects

Christian Co. lost everything I think even the waterboy graduated there so they will be down.

Bowling Green had a big graduation this year as well but with the Anderson kid they will be pretty good.

Owensboro has several returning from last year keyy loses Yorel Shemwell and Yante Williams and should be the team to come out of the west since they will have home field in the playoffs if they win their district.

Hoptown I still haven't figured them out they may be good but I don't see it.

JH lost several players this year and key players at that their district is the same as every year and they will have a nice record going into the playoffs.

I am going to say that you have the usual team from the NKY in Highlands in the state finals again for the umteenth year in a row and they will probably play Owensboro but I could see BG or JH getting there as well.

And being the state finals anything can happen. I think the best matchup would probably be Owensboro and Highlands for the finals with the Devils keeping it close until Collinsworth makes the Devils D pay the price.

That is just how I see it! Good Luck with spring ball and hope the weather is nice for everyone.

WESTSIDE:

Christian Co. returns every important skill player except their QB, most notably RB Vashaun Banks and WR Bubba Tandy. They did lose linemen, but linemen are never hard to find at Christian Co.

Owensboro must find a RB but that usually isn't hard to do at OHS. They have a great player in LB Khiry Maddox and a very good kicker.

BG returns a stud at RB in Anderson, but they will be breaking a new QB in 2009.

JH lost a very talented group of seniors, but they do return a 3 year starting QB and a dynamic RB in Savoy.

Hopkinsville and Madisonville are the wildcards in the west. They both have the talent to give anyone in the west problems.

I don't know about Doss or Oldham Co. I know Doss lost a pretty good QB in Unseld.

I am starting to believe home field means absolutely nothing in high school football. Ask John Hardin where their seasons ended the past 4 years. Owensboro was beaten on their home field in '07 by BG and returned the favor at BG in '08. I could give you numerous other examples, but you get the point.

Ranking the West right now:

1. Christian Co.

2. Owensboro /Bowling Green

3. John Hardin

4. Doss / Oldham

5. Hopkinsville / Madisonville

Harlan County is new to 5A so we will just have to wait and see. Of course I believe they are going to be successful. Coach Larkey will have a full season under his belt and a very important full offseason to work with. Go Bears!!