Kentucky/Vanderbilt UPDATES

Wireman

I don't understand how anyone can fault Meeks for his play this season. He is the only person on the team who can shoot from the outside consistently and is our only threat to score outside of PP. If he wasn't this aggressive then PP would be gettin double and triple teamed all game.

I mean what do you want him to do...if he drives he is either gonna get fouled or make the shot the majority of the time and if he does kick it out then it will result in a missed shot or turnover. Also, a lot of the time when he does miss there is so much help defense on him that it makes for an easy offense rebound.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how anyone can fault Meeks for his play this season. He is the only person on the team who can shoot from the outside consistently and is our only threat to score outside of PP. If he wasn't this aggressive then PP would be gettin double and triple teamed all game.

I mean what do you want him to do...if he drives he is either gonna get fouled or make the shot the majority of the time and if he does kick it out then it will result in a missed shot or turnover. Also, a lot of the time when he does miss there is so much help defense on him that it makes for an easy offense rebound.

:thumb:

I just don't understand why anyone would encourage a player to ignore an open teammate? That perplexes me beyond belief. As many shots as Meeks takes a game he should be averaging 40 instead of 25. I could get 10-15 a game with that many shots out of sheer luck, and I was a terrible basketball player. The logic just makes no sense. I agree with the playing hard and being aggressive but why should he take terrible shots with open teammates. His teammates aren't that bad.

Just look at how Stevenson played today, would you not want him to pass to an open Stevenson?

I don't know that I've seen him pass up that many open teammates. Wasn't that Meeks that just passed on a FT line jumper to kick it out to an open Harris for a 3?

He has the green light all game, every game as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't understand why anyone would encourage a player to ignore an open teammate? That perplexes me beyond belief. As many shots as Meeks takes a game he should be averaging 40 instead of 25. I could get 10-15 a game with that many shots out of sheer luck, and I was a terrible basketball player. The logic just makes no sense. I agree with the playing hard and being aggressive but why should he take terrible shots with open teammates. His teammates aren't that bad.

Meeks is shooting 47% on the year. Thats a very good %. He does not shoot too much.

Meeks is shooting 47% on the year. Thats a very good %. He does not shoot too much.

To me he would shoot about 65% though if he took open shots and passed when he wasn't open. He rarely misses wide open and his percentage would be through the roof if he would distribute the ball.

Just look at how Stevenson played today, would you not want him to pass to an open Stevenson?

Stevenson's game is to be a defensive stopper and not let anyone get any easy baskets when they get in the paint. He can get offensive boards and put backs on offense.

And of course if he is wide open then I want Meeks to pass it to him and he probably would. But if it is between Meeks driving with someone guarding him or Perry with somone on him, then I take Meeks everytime. Think about it, how many times have you seen Stevenson make any form of a lowpost move. He is good at what he does, but he is not a very effective offensive weapon amd drops half of the passes that are thrown to him.

Stevenson's game is to be a defensive stopper and not let anyone get any easy baskets when they get in the paint. He can get offensive boards and put backs on offense.

And of course if he is wide open then I want Meeks to pass it to him and he probably would. But if it is between Meeks driving with someone guarding him or Perry with somone on him, then I take Meeks everytime. Think about it, how many times have you seen Stevenson make any form of a lowpost move. He is good at what he does, but he is not a very effective offensive weapon amd drops half of the passes that are thrown to him.

I agree he won't make many moves when covered but how many times have you seen Meeks drive where Stevenson or Patterson's man has slid over to get the double team and Meeks still throws the shot up.