January 6, 200917 yr Where do you get your brakes done? We really need to get new brakes, and a possible thermostat. Just wondering if you have some one you like alot, or that have great prices for the work they do. Thanks.
January 6, 200917 yr Where do you get your brakes done? We really need to get new brakes, and a possible thermostat. Just wondering if you have some one you like alot, or that have great prices for the work they do. Thanks. Just tell the mister to do them. Both are easy to do.
January 6, 200917 yr I would actually stay away from the brake shops like a Midas or Car X. They are usually pretty high. The mom and pops garages are typically the cheapest. Especially if you tell one how much a Midas is trying to charge you. The only thing is you might have to wait 2-3 days for it to be done.
January 6, 200917 yr Where do you get your brakes done? We really need to get new brakes, and a possible thermostat. Just wondering if you have some one you like alot, or that have great prices for the work they do. Thanks. If you can't get the hubby to do it, look at Smith's in Covington or Konen (sp??) Pit Stop in Bellevue. Personally, I would never go near a Midas or Car X.
January 7, 200917 yr If you have a Honda I have a guy who has been a Honda mechanic for 30 yrs, was ranked the top Honda mechanic in the United states and is a great guy. He has cut back to only doing it a couple nights a week and is in the reserves as well so he is gone a lot but is very reasonable and a perfectionist. He is in Bellevue and works out of his own 2 story garage. If he isnt available I always go to Smith Muffler in Covington. Those guys are some of the most honest folks I have ever dealt with. This thread actually is a reminder for me to call my guy and get my rear brakes done on the Accord. thanks
January 7, 200917 yr Area car dealerships are hurting bad right now. If you can, take your car to the dealership to have the work done. Most dealerships have service departments. It might be more expensive than a mom and pop garage, but it will be cheaper than a big chain auto garage.
January 7, 200917 yr Author Well......I took my car to sears today! BAD IDEA. Awful service. I went in at 10am, they said they would check it out and call me in and hour to let me know the damage lol. Well at 11:30am I had to call them and they told me what was going on and that they were starting on it and it would be a couple of hours. Ok to me that means around 1 or so. Well at 3 they were not done. So at 3:30 they bring it down, and do NOT test drive it. I was in a hurry and already late for something so I pay and head out. ( keep in mind I had been myself at the mall with the 2 kids for 5 hrs.) I am driving home and notice a loud knocking in the back as I am driving. I don't think anything about it and get home. I call and tell them about it and they tell me to bring it back and they will take a look at it. I take it back in at 6:30pm, and I wait again with hubby and son until 8:45pm for them to tell me that they don't know what it is and they are going to have to take it back apart and start over again and I need to bring it back in tomorrow. Are you kidding me? I am sorry but when something is taken in to be fixed, it needs to stay there till its fixed. So I am taking it in tomorrow morning and telling them...."Do not call me until you know its fixed" and then I am going to pitch a fit. I haven't decided who I want to talk to yet. The manager or corporate. AWFUL!!!
January 7, 200917 yr If he isnt available I always go to Smith Muffler in Covington. Those guys are some of the most honest folks I have ever dealt with. This thread actually is a reminder for me to call my guy and get my rear brakes done on the Accord. thanks The thing I really like about Smith's is that you're allowed in the garage. They show you what's wrong. They're honest about what has to be done at the time, and when things can wait. They also have different guys that specialize on certain makes if you have a complex issue.
January 7, 200917 yr I wish I would have gone to a mom and pop garage. :( You didn't give us any time to respond. :lol:
January 7, 200917 yr I will never go to Sears for anything car related. Last year, when my wife was out of town, I got a flat tire. I put on the spare and drove it a short distance to Sears for a new tire. I gave them the key and they said it would be about an hour. An hour later, I came back, saw my car in the parking lot with the new tire, and headed for the register. At the register, they could not find my key, so they started searching for it. 15 minutes later, they came back and apologized about losing my key. The manager asked if I had a spare to make a new copy, to which I replied that my spare key was with my wife 200 miles away. They looked around for another 30 minutes before they decided to call a locksmith. It took another hour for the locksmith to get there to start making a new key. He said it would be ready in 15 minutes. An hour later, I looked to see if he was done. He made the new key fit in the passenger doors and ignition, but it would not fit the trunk. Exasperated, he said he could call in someone else to try, but it would be another couple of hours. I told the sears attendant that I had waited long enough and refused to let them waste any more of my time. I ended up speaking with a tire center manager who told me to wait 24 hours to see if the original key would show up. If not, take the car to a dealer and send the bill to Sears. Tired and frustrated, I accepted and asked for the new key that was made so I could get home. He said he would give me the key after I paid for the tire. I was there 6 hours to get one tire replaced, did not have a reliable key to my car, and this guy still wanted me to pay full price for the tire. Needless to say, I was not happy. When I demanded a discount, the manager told me that he had already paid the locksmith $100 for the new key, and that I would not be responsible for that. Seeing I was getting nowhere, I went to find the store manager. She saw that I was frustrated and asked what she could do that would make me happy. A 10% discount? I just laughed and said I would be happy to have 5 hours of my life back and the original key to my car. I had her sign a statement saying that Sears would cover ALL costs associated with getting a new key made at a dealership. I at least wanted something in writing from Sears in case the next day everyone seemed to forget what was agreed upon. Long story short, they found my key that evening and personally delivered it to my house. I ended up paying full price for the tire. NEVER GO TO SEARS FOR CAR REPAIRS!!!
January 7, 200917 yr Author I will never go to Sears for anything car related. Last year, when my wife was out of town, I got a flat tire. I put on the spare and drove it a short distance to Sears for a new tire. I gave them the key and they said it would be about an hour. An hour later, I came back, saw my car in the parking lot with the new tire, and headed for the register. At the register, they could not find my key, so they started searching for it. 15 minutes later, they came back and apologized about losing my key. The manager asked if I had a spare to make a new copy, to which I replied that my spare key was with my wife 200 miles away. They looked around for another 30 minutes before they decided to call a locksmith. It took another hour for the locksmith to get there to start making a new key. He said it would be ready in 15 minutes. An hour later, I looked to see if he was done. He made the new key fit in the passenger doors and ignition, but it would not fit the trunk. Exasperated, he said he could call in someone else to try, but it would be another couple of hours. I told the sears attendant that I had waited long enough and refused to let them waste any more of my time. I ended up speaking with a tire center manager who told me to wait 24 hours to see if the original key would show up. If not, take the car to a dealer and send the bill to Sears. Tired and frustrated, I accepted and asked for the new key that was made so I could get home. He said he would give me the key after I paid for the tire. I was there 6 hours to get one tire replaced, did not have a reliable key to my car, and this guy still wanted me to pay full price for the tire. Needless to say, I was not happy. When I demanded a discount, the manager told me that he had already paid the locksmith $100 for the new key, and that I would not be responsible for that. Seeing I was getting nowhere, I went to find the store manager. She saw that I was frustrated and asked what she could do that would make me happy. A 10% discount? I just laughed and said I would be happy to have 5 hours of my life back and the original key to my car. I had her sign a statement saying that Sears would cover ALL costs associated with getting a new key made at a dealership. I at least wanted something in writing from Sears in case the next day everyone seemed to forget what was agreed upon. Long story short, they found my key that evening and personally delivered it to my house. I ended up paying full price for the tire. NEVER GO TO SEARS FOR CAR REPAIRS!!! This is my lesson learned. They pulled this stunt when we got an alignment on our tires too. 6 hours later we were still waiting. Awful.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.