Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LCD or Plasma tv?

Featured Replies

My dad has put me in charge of buying him a tv (with his money of course). Requirements are a min of 50". What would you recommend? Doesn't one of them have to be recharged every 5 years or something?

  • Author

Does LCD require recharging?

I just bought an LCD for my daughter for Christmas. We love it. One hint, though...buy an audio package. The sound sucks without it. :lol:

Does LCD require recharging?
Neither Plasma or LCD need recgarging. That's really a myth (and there are several) about plasma. The gases are hermetically sealed permanently at the factory and never need recharging.

Plasma Television Advantages:

 

For Plasma televisions, the advantages over LCD, are: Better contrast ratio, better ability to render deep blacks, more color depth, better motion tracking (response time), better viewing angles and more availability in very large screen sizes.

 

LCD Television Advantages:

 

LCD television advantages include no burn-in susceptibility, cooler running, less screen glare, more functional at high altitudes, longer display life (although improvements are being made in Plasma screen life), looks better in brightly lit rooms.

Plasma. They are a lot better I have one of each and LOVE my plasma.

I have a 50 inch plasma and a 37 inch LCD. I like the plasma 10 times better! No worry for burn in either. Their is a burn-in prevention feature that they tell you to do once every few weeks. It takes 5 minutes and your screen goes from black, to white, to gray. Also, unless you plan on using the TV strictly for gaming, get a 720 instead of a 1080.

Plasma Television Advantages:

 

For Plasma televisions, the advantages over LCD, are: Better contrast ratio, better ability to render deep blacks, more color depth, better motion tracking (response time), better viewing angles and more availability in very large screen sizes.

 

LCD Television Advantages:

 

LCD television advantages include no burn-in susceptibility, cooler running, less screen glare, more functional at high altitudes, longer display life (although improvements are being made in Plasma screen life), looks better in brightly lit rooms.

 

This really doesn't exist in today's plasma TV's. It did in the original versions a few years ago.

 

I own 2 LCD's and 1 Plasma (all 50" or larger) and I would choose the plasma hands down.

  • Author

My parents are 60, they don't watch any blue ray, no games, its going to soley for TV, they aren't technology savvy so they need something with really no maintenance, so what would you recommend?

West KY (Marion I presume) TV reception is NOT great on a Plasma or LCD for the most part. I would highly advise them if they don't have them already to see what HD channels are available and with what companies.

 

I would definitely go with Plasma if they want a 50 inch, best bang for your buck TV--I would look into the Panasonic and Samsung brands. Do NOT buy overpriced cables from the box stores, get them off the internet!

 

Look at http://www.avsforum.com for a good place for non-bias reviews!

  • Author

They have dish, and yes they are in Marion

My parents are 60, they don't watch any blue ray, no games, its going to soley for TV, they aren't technology savvy so they need something with really no maintenance, so what would you recommend?

 

It won't be all that long before TV HD is broadcast exclusively in 1080, so to stay ahead of the game (and assuming it's in your budget), I'd go for a 1080 plasma. Our Panasonic is awesome and was reasonably priced. I've heard Vizio (sold at Sam's and Wal-mart) is not bad for a discount brand, but have no firsthand experience with them.

We have an LCD and love it, its a Samsung.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.