Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

16 Teams to State Tournament at Applebee's???

Featured Replies

You make good points with the different size schools that have been successful. But, these are High School kids and I think it would be great to have as many kids, within reason, experience a chance at a State Championship.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great information! Any idea how to figure out what the various column headers stand for? :confused:

 

CY - Current Year

PY - Previous Year

2yr enrollment - jr-sr

3yr enrollment - soph, jr, sr

4yr enrollment - frosh, soph, jr, sr

male enrollment

 

all this is semi-educated jethro bodine guesses:jump:

Two or three classes would be enough for every sport except football.

 

Not sure golf or tennis need classes.

CY - Current Year

PY - Previous Year

2yr enrollment - jr-sr

3yr enrollment - soph, jr, sr

4yr enrollment - frosh, soph, jr, sr

male enrollment

 

all this is semi-educated jethro bodine guesses:jump:

 

You got a whole lot further than I did. So I guess I don't even qualify to be a fry cook. ;) The other problem now in looking at that list is knowing which schools (mostly smaller ones) have/don't have a baseball program.

You make good points with the different size schools that have been successful. But, these are High School kids and I think it would be great to have as many kids, within reason, experience a chance at a State Championship.

 

I hate to use cliche's, but I think it's more about the journey than the trophy. I bet if you polled all the kids at Lou. Christian Academy and asked them if last year they would have rather competed in a small school tournament and won a title versus going to Applebee's and losing in the first round not a one would take the trophy. The magical ball they played knocking off the Green Giants of Trinity and St.X, winning semi-state against John Hardin was very "Hoosieresque". Baseball is a funny game, and in my opinion it is a game that gives the smaller schools the best chance at winning against the larger schools compared to the other two major sports of football and basketball.

 

I ask again, is a class system for baseball what parents, coaches and administrators want, or is that what the student/athletes want? In my opinion, high school athletics is for the kids and they should have some input into whether there is a class system for baseball or not.

I hate to use cliche's, but I think it's more about the journey than the trophy. I bet if you polled all the kids at Lou. Christian Academy and asked them if last year they would have rather competed in a small school tournament and won a title versus going to Applebee's and losing in the first round not a one would take the trophy. The magical ball they played knocking off the Green Giants of Trinity and St.X, winning semi-state against John Hardin was very "Hoosieresque". Baseball is a funny game, and in my opinion it is a game that gives the smaller schools the best chance at winning against the larger schools compared to the other two major sports of football and basketball.

 

I ask again, is a class system for baseball what parents, coaches and administrators want, or is that what the student/athletes want? In my opinion, high school athletics is for the kids and they should have some input into whether there is a class system for baseball or not.

 

I agree that it is all about the kids. I think this would give more kids a chance to experience a "journey" regardless if they win a trophy or not. Baseball is the sport that gives the underdog the best chance. The best team on paper may hit the heck out of the ball but if it is hit to someone.... well, that's why the game is great.

I hate to use cliche's, but I think it's more about the journey than the trophy. I bet if you polled all the kids at Lou. Christian Academy and asked them if last year they would have rather competed in a small school tournament and won a title versus going to Applebee's and losing in the first round not a one would take the trophy. The magical ball they played knocking off the Green Giants of Trinity and St.X, winning semi-state against John Hardin was very "Hoosieresque". Baseball is a funny game, and in my opinion it is a game that gives the smaller schools the best chance at winning against the larger schools compared to the other two major sports of football and basketball.

 

I ask again, is a class system for baseball what parents, coaches and administrators want, or is that what the student/athletes want? In my opinion, high school athletics is for the kids and they should have some input into whether there is a class system for baseball or not.

 

And how would you accomplish this?

I hate to use cliche's, but I think it's more about the journey than the trophy. I bet if you polled all the kids at Lou. Christian Academy and asked them if last year they would have rather competed in a small school tournament and won a title versus going to Applebee's and losing in the first round not a one would take the trophy. The magical ball they played knocking off the Green Giants of Trinity and St.X, winning semi-state against John Hardin was very "Hoosieresque". Baseball is a funny game, and in my opinion it is a game that gives the smaller schools the best chance at winning against the larger schools compared to the other two major sports of football and basketball.

I ask again, is a class system for baseball what parents, coaches and administrators want, or is that what the student/athletes want? In my opinion, high school athletics is for the kids and they should have some input into whether there is a class system for baseball or not.

 

I dont disagree that baseball gives smaller schools a better chance to win the title but what happened last year with LCA wont happen very often, thats what makes it a great story, but a majority of the time the larger schools are going to win the title just by the number of atheletes they pull from. A class system needs to be set up to consistently equal the playing field. :thumb:

And how would you accomplish this?

 

Good question....maybe give(elect) a student a seat on the KHSAA board of control similar to what colleges do with boards of trustees. If that's not workable, maybe the various athletic directors that do have a vote at the KHSAA could stop by practice and talk with some of the students to get their input before voting on a baseball class system.

I dont disagree that baseball gives smaller schools a better chance to win the title but what happened last year with LCA wont happen very often, thats what makes it a great story, but a majority of the time the larger schools are going to win the title just by the number of atheletes they pull from. A class system needs to be set up to consistently equal the playing field. :thumb:

 

GG, I beg to differ on your account of the facts:"a majority of the time the larger schools are going to win the title just by the number of atheletes they pull from." In the last 10 years that statement has not held true as only 3 titles have been won by 6A classified schools(Dunbar and PRP). If you back it up over the last 20 years, it is split dead even--10 titles for non-6A schools and 10 for large 6A. I'll give the non-6A title schools(Cov Cath, Boyd, Franklin-Simpson, Paintsville, Lex Christian, Lex Cath(2) and Harrison County(3).

If you look at this issue with some fact based objectivity you cannot conclude that a class system is needed. There are some really small private schools that probably have no chance of ever winning a title, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater because of that! There is already an All A classic tournament which allows those small schools to comepte against one another during the regular season. I'm sure a trophy is awarded, and those schools still get a shot at the bigger schools in the post season.

I guess I should have been more specific , but what I mean by larger schools, looking at the way the class systems were broken up here on this thread, is 4A and up. Although in this thread 4A is considered upper-mid. I am sure there are cases, and no I didnt research the last 10-20 years, that some schools smaller than 3A or below faired very well. You have to consider that in the schools you listed as smaller than 6A you are looking at some solid baseball programs over the years and private schools who have always placed a big emphasis on sports so they attract top athletes (Lec Cath, Cov Cath, LCA). I do agree with your Class A point.

 

GG, I beg to differ on your account of the facts:"a majority of the time the larger schools are going to win the title just by the number of atheletes they pull from." In the last 10 years that statement has not held true as only 3 titles have been won by 6A classified schools(Dunbar and PRP). If you back it up over the last 20 years, it is split dead even--10 titles for non-6A schools and 10 for large 6A. I'll give the non-6A title schools(Cov Cath, Boyd, Franklin-Simpson, Paintsville, Lex Christian, Lex Cath(2) and Harrison County(3).

If you look at this issue with some fact based objectivity you cannot conclude that a class system is needed. There are some really small private schools that probably have no chance of ever winning a title, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater because of that! There is already an All A classic tournament which allows those small schools to comepte against one another during the regular season. I'm sure a trophy is awarded, and those schools still get a shot at the bigger schools in the post season.

Strike, that hasn't been that long ago!:lol:

 

I'm interested in how a schedule for a 16-team state tournament would look. Maybe something like this:

 

Monday

First Round Games @ 10, 1, 4 and 7

 

Tuesday

First Round Games @ 10, 1, 4 and 7

 

Wednesday

Quarterfinals @ 10, 1, 4 and 7

 

Thursday

No Scheduled Games - Weather Makeup

 

Friday

Semifinals @ 4 and 7

 

Saturday

Championship @ 7

 

 

The single elimination format would be terrible for a 16 team tournament (How many single elimination baseball tournaments are you aware of, other than the one we use to crown a state champion?). I think leaving things the way they are, and taking the current state tournament structure to double elimination format would provide a much better solution.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.