Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA rule?

Featured Replies

(Sorry, should be KHSAA) I have been told that there is a new rule that states a player can now only play four years of Varsity basketball. Is this true? and I'm assuming if it is ..that it will include a grandfathering clause for players currently playing who may break that rule.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard it. Can't imagine its true.

 

The only "four year" rule I know of is that once a kid is promoted to 9th grade his/her 4 year eligibility count starts.

Never heard it. Can't imagine its true.

 

The only "four year" rule I know of is that once a kid is promoted to 9th grade his/her 4 year eligibility count starts.

 

:thumb: I doubt that this would become a rule, the only thing it does is hurt the younger players who are good enough to play up.

:thumb: I doubt that this would become a rule, the only thing it does is hurt the younger players who are good enough to play up.

 

Small schools need the younger players in more than a few places.

Small schools need the younger players in more than a few places.

 

Are we the only state that has schools so small that this a Ky problem only?

Are we the only state that has schools so small that this a Ky problem only?

 

No chance.

(Sorry, should be KHSAA) I have been told that there is a new rule that states a player can now only play four years of Varsity basketball. Is this true? and I'm assuming if it is ..that it will include a grandfathering clause for players currently playing who may break that rule.

 

That is true once you promote from 8th grade.

That is true once you promote from 8th grade.

 

So if you're an eith grader you have 5 years? How about a 7th grader?

No chance.

 

Are we the only state that allows middle or grade schoolers to play varsity sports?

Are we the only state that allows middle or grade schoolers to play varsity sports?

 

I'd assume that all states allow middle schoolers to play basketball. We don't allow middle schoolers to play football or wrestle.

So if you're an eith grader you have 5 years? How about a 7th grader?

 

The rule is only in effect from the time you're promoted from the 8th grade.

I'd assume that all states allow middle schoolers to play basketball. We don't allow middle schoolers to play football or wrestle.

 

I believe very few states allow this.

 

33.3) 7th & 8th grade students may not practice with, participate on the same team with or

compete against 9th through 12th grade students.

 

OHSAA General Rules

Edited by malachicrunch

I believe very few states allow this.

 

OH, and IN don't allow middle schoolers to play up. I don't know about the others.

OH, and IN don't allow middle schoolers to play up. I don't know about the others.

 

I may be wrong, but I think Ky is one of few that allow this practice. I just wonder how all of the small schools in these other states put teams on the court without using the young kids.

I may be wrong, but I think Ky is one of few that allow this practice. I just wonder how all of the small schools in these other states put teams on the court without using the young kids.

 

I can only speak of my first hand knowledge from Ohio, but you field teams that aren't competitive most of the time to have numbers. Freshmen teams are becoming rarer and rarer. Kids play both JV and Varsity to fit rosters.

 

With Ohio's 4 year rule, middle school kids can be pulled up, but they only get 4 years eligibility. So why waste their middle school years? Also, because Ohio has the 4 year rule, I think it is funny how people still say the Moss girl is going to transfer to Lakota West in Ohio. She is currently playing her 4th year of Varsity in KY? She wouldn't be allowed to see the floor in OH due to her 4 years being up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.