Ryle 75 Cooper 17

poon

I spoke to Coach Mullins last night. Although he didn't say if he pulled the starters, but I have a hard time believing that he would have left them in the whole game, or even the first half.

I would think that Ryle's 2nd five would have won this game handily, but wow - there is no shot clock, run some plays, work on things, this certainly has the feel of push, push, push!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a joke for some of you to criticize Ryle without having watched the game.

Obviously we missed the game, so please help explain how this game was so lopsided. I've seen other scores against Cooper against teams as good or Better (HHS) that did not have this big of a margin. What was so different in this contest?

So, its the classic dilemma. You have varsity boys who may not get a lot of PT who now get to play. They've busted their humps every day and have done everything asked of them. You're now going to tell them to not to shoot or not to play defense? Not me. I won't have them pressing. I won't even have them waiting at half court. However, past that I'll have them playing tough D like I teach them in practice. I'll have them running our sets. If Cooper can't stop them, that's a Cooper problem not my problem. I might rule out 3 pt attempts but I'm not telling a kid to not get his name in the boxscore.

Coach Sullivan understands that.

:thumb:

Obviously we missed the game, so please help explain how this game was so lopsided. I've seen other scores against Cooper against teams as good or Better (HHS) that did not have this big of a margin. What was so different in this contest?

Highlands scored 10 more points (85) vs. Cooper than Ryle did, so I don't exactly think the Birds were holding back...the only reason the margin was smaller (a measly 36 point victory margin for Highlands) was because Ryle managed to score a whopping 49 points against them.

That could be easily explained by a better night shooting for Cooper...(than they had against Ryle).

Or it could be that Ryle's subs are better than Highlands'...

Original Rookie is right...having not been at the game, based on the info we have, we really shouldn't be throwing stones here. The score was ugly, but I suspect that may not be the first time for Cooper this year.

Highlands scored 10 more points (85) vs. Cooper than Ryle did, so I don't exactly think the Birds were holding back...the only reason the margin was smaller (a measly 36 point victory margin for Highlands) was because Ryle managed to score a whopping 49 points against them.

That could be easily explained by a better night shooting for Cooper...(than they had against Ryle).

Or it could be that Ryle's subs are better than Highlands'...

Original Rookie is right...having not been at the game, based on the info we have, we really shouldn't be throwing stones here. The score was ugly, but I suspect that may not be the first time for Cooper this year.

:confused: Hmm, well, Okay

Regardless, the biggest embarrasment should be for the person responsible for the Cooper schedule. That person gave them no chance. Blueflyer you should be on their case more than anything.

Cmon, that's a stretch. As a first year team, your lucky to get games scheduled period, you take what you can get. And in this case, teams were willingly ready to get Cooper on their schedule because they knew they would get easy wins. So in this thoery, it's an even bigger embarrasment for for a team to schedule Cooper just for the easy blowout victory!

I can't believe we are still talking about the Ryle/Cooper game. I was there and I can tell you for a fact Ryle did not try to run up the score. Ryle has 15 players on the roster and they all played. It was one on those nights where Ryle made a lot of shots. Ryle has always played good defense and unfortunitly for Cooper, their shots just did not fall. Ryle did not put on a full course press or play any trapping defense. Ryle scored 31 points in the 1st quarter and the starter were out for the most part 6 minutes into the game. A few played a few minutes in the 2nd quarter and all starters started the 3rd quarter and played maybe 4 minutes and that was it for them. Ryle has pretty good 6 thru 9 players and they played some but the 10 through 15 players played most of the 2nd half. Not sure what else Coach Mullins could have done.

:confused: Hmm, well, Okay

Sorry, Skunk (and BlueFlyer), if I wasn't clear. Sometimes the fingers type faster than my brain thinks (and sometimes my brain just doesn't think!).

To at least clear up my points a bit...

1) Highlands hardly let up on the gas pedal, if you strictly look at what they scored. (85 points) (Understand I'm not accusing Highlands of running up the score! I don't think they did! But Highlands' game with Cooper - a 36 point victory - was brought up earlier in this thread as evidence that not everyone was running up the score) So IF being a good sport is not scoring a lot of points on an undermanned foe, that wasn't a good example to use.

2) The only reason the Highlands game was "closer" could be explained by a number of reasons, none of which necessarily prove that Highlands was a better "sport". Among the two I cite, 1) Cooper could have shot better (something that isn't always a product of good defense vs. bad defense) or 2) the Ryle subs may just be better than Highlands, resulting in a greater deficit.

I hope that clears up my logic. Again, I'm NOT accusing Highlands of running up the score. I'm just pointing out that a Highlands' 36 point win doesn't exactly serve as very good logic in trying to make the point that Ryle did.

And my conclusion is simple - you really cannot determine how the coach coached unless you were at the game.

Skunk is also right about schedules...first year teams really struggle to get the schedule they want. I applaud Cooper for tackling some biggies. If they don't let it beat them down, they'll be better for it in the end.

BlueFlyer - not sure we see eye to eye on this game...but I will agree with you 100% (game unseen) about the Iroquois-Brown score that just came out.

There's a separate thread if you want to comment, but we're on the same page on that one. Totally.

:thumb: I agree with this as well

Sorry, Skunk (and BlueFlyer), if I wasn't clear. Sometimes the fingers type faster than my brain thinks (and sometimes my brain just doesn't think!).

To at least clear up my points a bit...

1) Highlands hardly let up on the gas pedal, if you strictly look at what they scored. (85 points) (Understand I'm not accusing Highlands of running up the score! I don't think they did! But Highlands' game with Cooper - a 36 point victory - was brought up earlier in this thread as evidence that not everyone was running up the score) So IF being a good sport is not scoring a lot of points on an undermanned foe, that wasn't a good example to use.

2) The only reason the Highlands game was "closer" could be explained by a number of reasons, none of which necessarily prove that Highlands was a better "sport". Among the two I cite, 1) Cooper could have shot better (something that isn't always a product of good defense vs. bad defense) or 2) the Ryle subs may just be better than Highlands, resulting in a greater deficit.

I hope that clears up my logic. Again, I'm NOT accusing Highlands of running up the score. I'm just pointing out that a Highlands' 36 point win doesn't exactly serve as very good logic in trying to make the point that Ryle did.

And my conclusion is simple - you really cannot determine how the coach coached unless you were at the game.

Skunk is also right about schedules...first year teams really struggle to get the schedule they want. I applaud Cooper for tackling some biggies. If they don't let it beat them down, they'll be better for it in the end.

Very fair point. As an outsider, it's just difficult to figure. I think most of us have been involved in the game in some fashion. I just feel that there are things that you can do in HS basketball to minimize the score without telling your players to quit.

IMO - I think that the HHS game is reasonable, but to points made before, Cooper may well have shot that poorly in the Ryle game ad better in the HHS game

Why in the world would Coach Sullivan take Cooper's coaching job,after stints at Mason County,St.Patrick and Holmes(his alma mater)? Was it all about money? Does he plan on being there for ten years? He is fast becoming the new Mike Reitz.