December 8, 200817 yr These guys are constantly hanging around our backyard, so I thought I'd take a few pictures. They won't let you get real close, but they certainly don't just run away when they see us on the deck or hear a car door slam. We regularly have 8-10 deer hang around also and have seen several fox and coyote. [ATTACH]25252[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25250[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25251[/ATTACH]
December 9, 200817 yr Very nice group of guests. Here's some of our regulars. This girl gave birth there Some more friends
December 9, 200817 yr Great pics Cooperstown!! Those are the kind of visitors I wouldn't mind hanging around in the backyard!!! We have a few deer that show up in our backyard and always enjoy watchng them each evening.
December 9, 200817 yr Nice backyard coop. But those visitors can come to my yard whenever, just keep my neighbor out.
December 11, 200817 yr Cville, is that yours in your avatar? No. I sure wish it was. I haven't owned beagles since your pops and I last hunted. Your pops was a pretty good dog but in his older years started to cold trail and he couldn't wag his tail when the scent was fresh.:lol:
December 11, 200817 yr No. I sure wish it was. I haven't owned beagles since your pops and I last hunted. Your pops was a pretty good dog but in his older years started to cold trail and he couldn't wag his tail when the scent was fresh.:lol: Now all he does is bark.:irked: That pic may be one of the best looking beagles I've seen, beautiful.
December 11, 200817 yr Author Will try to post some pics of the deer that hang around, but they're usually there in the early evening and not enough light. This year is the first time we've ever seen a buck in our yard (either a 6 or 8-pointer). Pretty cool. I know it's just deer, but I just find it fascinating when they are in the middle of your yard, 20 yards behind my daughter's trampoline. BTW, deer guys - I have a question. We keep a 5 million power spotlight by the deck door to shine out and look for them at night. Someone told me that this is technically illegal even though we obviously don't intend to shoot them. I assumed it was only illegal to spotlight deer if you were hunting. What's the scoop? Also, I frequently put out corn, apples, molasses, etc.. in the back to attract them. Anything wrong with this?
December 11, 200817 yr Now all he does is bark.:irked: That pic may be one of the best looking beagles I've seen, beautiful. :lol: You and I both know that his bark is bigger than his bite!! I thought the same thing. It sure brought back memories of a few years back. I am thinking of getting another one. If so, the hunt is on!!! You & Pops are invited!
December 11, 200817 yr Will try to post some pics of the deer that hang around, but they're usually there in the early evening and not enough light. This year is the first time we've ever seen a buck in our yard (either a 6 or 8-pointer). Pretty cool. I know it's just deer, but I just find it fascinating when they are in the middle of your yard, 20 yards behind my daughter's trampoline. BTW, deer guys - I have a question. We keep a 5 million power spotlight by the deck door to shine out and look for them at night. Someone told me that this is technically illegal even though we obviously don't intend to shoot them. I assumed it was only illegal to spotlight deer if you were hunting. What's the scoop? Also, I frequently put out corn, apples, molasses, etc.. in the back to attract them. Anything wrong with this? Spotlighting::: No Person may deliberately cast the rays of a spotlight or other artificial light into any field, pasture, woodlands, or forest, whether public or private, where wildlife or domestic livestock may reasonably be expected to be located. Shining artificial lights into private rsidences or other structures is also prohibited. This does not apply to the rays of headlights of vehicles engaged in a normal course of travel; lights being used in a legitimate agricultural activities; to anyone invovled in activities legitimate to his or her business or occupation; circumstances including lawful hunting activities; or any landowner, his or her immediately family or any paid employee while working on his or her land at that time. No person shall take wildlife, except raccoons,oppossums,fishes and frogs, using lights or other means designed to blind wildlife or make wildlife visible at night. http://www.fw.ky.gov Fish & Wildlife:: 1-800-858-1549
December 11, 200817 yr Author Spotlighting::: No Person may deliberately cast the rays of a spotlight or other artificial light into any field, pasture, woodlands, or forest, whether public or private, where wildlife or domestic livestock may reasonably be expected to be located. Shining artificial lights into private rsidences or other structures is also prohibited. This does not apply to the rays of headlights of vehicles engaged in a normal course of travel; lights being used in a legitimate agricultural activities; to anyone invovled in activities legitimate to his or her business or occupation; circumstances including lawful hunting activities; or any landowner, his or her immediately family or any paid employee while working on his or her land at that time. No person shall take wildlife, except raccoons,oppossums,fishes and frogs, using lights or other means designed to blind wildlife or make wildlife visible at night. http://www.fw.ky.gov Fish & Wildlife:: 1-800-858-1549 Thanks. So I guess we are in the wrong. I'll blame my wife. Since I probably plan to continue to do this anyways, let me ask this first. Briefly shining a light at a deer does not hurt them (their eyes) in any way, does it? I assume the point of this law was eliminate F&W from having to listen to people explain, "I wasn't really hunting them, I promise. I was just shining a light to look at them." (This, despite the rifle slung over the guy's shoulder).
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.