Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Backyard Visitors

Featured Replies

Thanks. So I guess we are in the wrong. I'll blame my wife. :D

 

Since I probably plan to continue to do this anyways, let me ask this first. Briefly shining a light at a deer does not hurt them (their eyes) in any way, does it? I assume the point of this law was eliminate F&W from having to listen to people explain, "I wasn't really hunting them, I promise. I was just shining a light to look at them." (This, despite the rifle slung over the guy's shoulder).

 

I doubt I am the one that can answer your question properly. Maybe someone with a degree in wildlife biology would be more suited to do so. I will say that I think it could cause damage or at least discomfort. I'm sure you have had bright lights in your eyes at night and the experience was uncomfortable, so I would guess the deer react in the same manner.

I do agree with your answer as to why the law was put into place. It takes away all excuses for the game law violator.

 

Maybe you can install a security light in the area where the deer frequent. Once they get used to it I doubt it would deter them from the area and you could still enjoy your backyard visitors without any worry of breaking any game laws or posting bond for your wife.:lol:

It's not my backyard. I took this pic at my campsite at Cave Run bagk diring the muzzleloading season. They fed right thru my camp.

CaveRunTurkeys.jpg?t=1229093852

  • Author
I doubt I am the one that can answer your question properly. Maybe someone with a degree in wildlife biology would be more suited to do so. I will say that I think it could cause damage or at least discomfort. I'm sure you have had bright lights in your eyes at night and the experience was uncomfortable, so I would guess the deer react in the same manner.

I do agree with your answer as to why the law was put into place. It takes away all excuses for the game law violator.

 

Maybe you can install a security light in the area where the deer frequent. Once they get used to it I doubt it would deter them from the area and you could still enjoy your backyard visitors without any worry of breaking any game laws or posting bond for your wife.:lol:

 

I do plan to call KY F&W and ask them this. I checked as thoroughly as I could on the Internet and could not find one article that mentioned that spotlighting was harmful to the deer's eyes, only that they were mesmerized by the light. I really want to continue doing this on occasion, as the wife and kids (and I) enjoy seeing them out there, but will absolutely discontinue if I find out it truly is harmful to them.

Is it your land you are shinig on? I would think you are fine shining the light from your back door. And no it doesnt hurt the deer shining the light in their eyes. If a F&W officer ticketed you for that from your house that would be very picky.

  • Author
Is it your land you are shinig on? I would think you are fine shining the light from your back door. And no it doesnt hurt the deer shining the light in their eyes. If a F&W officer ticketed you for that from your house that would be very picky.

 

Yes. We live in a subdivision, but don't have anyone behind us. I guess we do aim the light at the back of the neighbor's yard where it turns into heavier woods also, but the light isn't ever aimed at anyone's house.

I doubt I am the one that can answer your question properly. Maybe someone with a degree in wildlife biology would be more suited to do so. I will say that I think it could cause damage or at least discomfort. I'm sure you have had bright lights in your eyes at night and the experience was uncomfortable, so I would guess the deer react in the same manner.

I do agree with your answer as to why the law was put into place. It takes away all excuses for the game law violator.

 

Maybe you can install a security light in the area where the deer frequent. Once they get used to it I doubt it would deter them from the area and you could still enjoy your backyard visitors without any worry of breaking any game laws or posting bond for your wife.:lol:

 

What about the bright lights that come from the deer cams strapped to the trees? I mean the cheap kind that I have. (will be getting the infra red ones for Christmas I hope :lol:) Maybe since the flash isn't prolonged it doesn't bother them. We have all had the "nose up to the camera pic" so I would think it just gets them curious.

Yes. We live in a subdivision, but don't have anyone behind us. I guess we do aim the light at the back of the neighbor's yard where it turns into heavier woods also, but the light isn't ever aimed at anyone's house.

 

Keep shining that light then. I would.

  • Author
Here's a pretty cool pic.

 

Very cool pic! I assume he cleared it okay?

 

Dying to get some pics of the many deer that visit our yard, but hard now that it gets dark so early. And for some reason, they don't seem to be coming around in the morning any longer. Had a doe and little tiny baby one out there tonight. I put some new feed out there this weekend (I think it's called "Super 12" - mixture of corn, oats, barley or rice and molasses) and they seem to love it. Finished off a 50 lb. bag already.

Nice pics guys ! I started out with a gallon bucket of corn for the deer in my back yard. First I had one doe , then two ,then four, five,eight, and three different bucks, one nice eight pointer that would be a shooter. Several hundred pounds of corn later I'm going broke !! I think they smell it on each others breath !! They are enjoyable to watch. I do hunt them but not in my back yard , my wife says I look stupid in a tree stand in the back yard !:lol:

These deer were not in the backyard but they were heading that way. Sweeperboy and I witnessed 5 buck's and several does this evening right before dark. The biggest buck was still showing the younger buck's who's the boss. Witnessed several good fight's. I was surprised how much they were fighting. Sweep should have pictures in the morning.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.