Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Florida vs. USC - Hypothetically Speaking

Featured Replies

How do you think this match up would go?

 

I think that the Gators would handle USC pretty convincingly. I think that their offense is faster than anyone that USC has seen. I think that the Gators have more on the defensive side of the ball than what USC has seen as well.

 

Later.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably depends on where the game is played. East coast game goes to UF, west coast to USC. If we hold the game in St. Louis, I'd give the edge to Florida, but I think all 3 games would be 7-10 pts.

I think it would be a great game with a score no higher than both teams being around 21-24 points. I believe if they played 10 times, each might take 5.

I don't think that UF has seen anyone like USC on defense either. Sure, Bama has a great defense, but they didn't have the speed in the secondary to shut down the Gators. USC does. All world safety Taylor Mays (6-3, 225, 4.25 40-yard dash) would limit the deep ball with Ellison on the other side. I know the pac-10 isn't great but I think they've only given up one pass longer than 25 yards this season. Miola on the line would be big as well, Unlike Mt. Cody, he could actually play the entire game, and Cushing and Maualuga (sp?) are a combo of linebackers not matched by any in the country. This is really the best defense in the last handful of years, and it matches or betters UF or OU's offensive attack. I know that they aren't as tested in conference but this D is legit. Now, I don't know how well USC would be able to move the ball on UF, as USC's offense is consistent at best, and the Gators do have a very opportunistic defense, if USC couldn't score it would be a different story. But, honestly I'd say USC 24 UF, 20. I think USC stopping the Gators big play, and having the secondary to eliminate Hernandez, Murphy, Nelson and Co. would be the difference. I really think if USC played on the east coast they would be in the title game. They really get hurt by playing a pro-style low scoring game and not being on at primetime on abc or espn.

Personally I think everybody has way to much respect for USC. Last I saw they played somewhere around 60th strength of schedule and struggled to win several of those. I think Florida and Bama are both better than USC.

Ah, outside of the game they (USC) lost I don't think they really struggled much this season. They play pro-style, how many 60 to 14 games do you see in the NFL. Most teams just can't score enough to win. They may only win 31-10 or 28-14, but the games in reality aren't close. They really aren't challenged in conference which leads to boredom and playing around with teams, but they try to schedule tough as in the Ohio State series they have this year and next. I know, I know, OSU is nothing to the SEC or Big 12, but they are a consistent top 10, usually top 6 or 7 team in the country. And I don't see a whole lot of top programs with title aspirations looking to add the Trojans to their schedule anyways. It's tough for them to find games. Maybe they should just load up next year with UF, Oklahoma, Bama, and Texas. It's not like UF has had that rugged of a schedule this year either. All "tough" games were at home besides 'Bama. Cocktail party is neutral but is still in the state of Florida. SC is a top team, and don't get as much respect as they deserve.

This would be the best match-up, IMO. Speed is not something that would intimidate USC. This is one of the fastest D's in the country. Their D is solid, with strength and depth at all positions. The D is their strength (ask Notre Dame).

 

As a USC fan, what I don't like about this years team is their Offensive strategy. The team has the weapons at every position. But what I do not like about this years team is their willingness to bury teams. USC completely dominated their schedule with the exception of the Oregon State game. The beat UCLA convicingly at every phase of the game, but you could see that the offense was bored. Hard to imagine playing your rival, that you are bored. They could have easily have put 70 on the board, but you did not see that killer instinct. I believe that a challenge like Florida would bring that out of them.

 

I'll take Carroll in a championship game. Give him a month to prepare and he will beat you.

Pete Carroll does several things that the other top teams don't do. First, he pulls his starters. Several times this year Sanchez et. al. have been out early in the 4th.

 

Second, USC is a 60% running team, and with a lead, they are still running the ball in the face of 8-9 players in the box.

 

Third, Carroll will not play into the "style points" theory like Stoops & Co. I have seen them forego points in obvious field goal situations, take a knee inside the opposition 5 yard-line several times this season.

 

The only game that USC played that was closer than it should have been (other than the Oregon St. loss) was the 17-3 Arizona game, and I watched that and Arizona simply wasn't ever going to score. USC routed everybody else, and "bored" was a good way to describe their play this season.

I would take my Trojans in a close one. CatsCatsCats has made some good points.

Good game.

 

USC's defensive speed vs. Florida's offensive speed...with both units at 100% would be an intriguing matchup.

 

I think Florida is the better team and would win because USC's offense is inconsistent and can be frustrated.

The Gators by 2 TDS. USC has good team but play in weak Pac10. Think the Gators are just too fast on both sides of the ball for USC to handle. Still would like to see a playoff which would settle all arguements.

I disagree about the speed difference

I disagree about the speed difference

 

:thumb:

 

Nobody has a speed advantage vs. USC. The best you can hope for is even.

USC is not slow but nobody has the team speed of Florida. but like I said before wish there was a playoff system so fans of all the teams could see who was really the best team. I am a Florida fan so I think they are the best. But I also agree with some other posts that there maybe 8 teams that could be in the hunt with a playoff. Good luck to all the teams but I think the Gators will rule.

USC is not slow but nobody has the team speed of Florida. but like I said before wish there was a playoff system so fans of all the teams could see who was really the best team. I am a Florida fan so I think they are the best. But I also agree with some other posts that there maybe 8 teams that could be in the hunt with a playoff. Good luck to all the teams but I think the Gators will rule.

 

I agree with you that Florida is better than USC this year...and I'm a USC fan. But, USC is second to nobody when it comes to team speed.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.