Oldham Co @ Shelby Co thoughts?

Who wins?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The Rockets have gotten the monkey off it's back.

What O system will the Rockets run this week? Will they spread the field with all the young athletes or will they go with the big boys and run the POWER game. The D has not gotten the credit it deserves. I can see them doing many special things on special teams. Rockets 28-12.

Oldham and South are worlds apart this year...but credit Todd Shipley with working wonders at SC, completely revamping his offense from a pass-happy, wide-open affair with Cresap at QB, to an old-fashioned, smash-mouth power game, that is doing well now that they have those injured OL players back.

Shipley simply doesn't get enough credit for the coaching job he's done at SC...

I'm just not sure that last week's game really tells us too much about Shelby...

This game is an old-time rivalry, folks...and picking a rivalry game like this is pretty "iffy", regardless of records, talent, injuries, etc...

But Oldham is playing very well in all phases of the game. They're healthy, and can hurt you through the air and on the ground. And Matt Brown has done a phenomenal job in his first season with the team...a possible Coach of the Year candidate. Have to go with the Colonels in a close one, 24-21.

I agree Mike that Coach Shipley and staff and have a wonderful job of holding this team togather. However, don't think the spread O has been swept under the rug. They are at a point where at any given time a different set may take the field. OC is having a great year but is their competion any better than what the Rockets have been seeing all year?

OC has had a reasonable schedule - not overwhelming, but not patsies, either - but Shelby has had one of the most murderous schedules I've ever seen.

Oldham has played two of the same teams Shelby has - Scott County and Madison Central - and has also played St. X, Anderson County, and a solid Grant County squad that is having its best year ever. The Franklin County game was expected to be a test, but didn't turn out that way...

In all, Oldham will have played - when all is said and done - four teams from a larger class (6A), of which, three of those were ranked in the 6A top 10. Anderson has been in and out of the 5A top 10, and Franklin County was a pre-season #7 in 4A, and has been competitive all year.

Shelby's schedule has not turned out to be quite as horrific as I thought at first - North Hardin hasn't turned out to be as good as predicted, nor has North Bullitt, although both teams are definitely above-average - but Scott County, Eastern, Manual, and Madison Central all are 6A top 10 teams, Johnson Central is a monster top 10 5A team, and Doss has been in-and-out of the 5A top 10. Pretty brutal, overall, with no real breaks.

To answer your question, I think Shelby has had the overall tougher schedule - but Oldham has played a strong schedule, including the best team in the state, and has beaten some of the top teams on it, including a common opponent (Scott County).

I'm a fan of tough schedules, but Shelby's schedule might have been a bit more than the Rockets bargained for. When tough circumstances erupt (youth, injuries), you risk destroying the psyche of a team...they really needed the win over South last week.

I think Shelby has a fine chance of upending the Colonels this week because of the matchup - Shelby is showing the potential to be a solid power football team and that is the one type of team I think Oldham will have trouble with. If Shelby is forced to the air, this could get ugly. Oldham has done very well against passing teams this year. On the other hand, if Shelby run-blocks as well against the Colonels as they did last week against South, this could be a game of keep-away that the Rockets win handily.

Frankly, I was very impressed with what I saw of the Rockets last week, even though I'm afraid South did much to help make them look good.

I don't expect Shelby to throw the ball much unless they have to...

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the coin toss chooses to take the ball first...because I think the key to this game may be who gets the early lead, because that will enable that team to set the tone of the game and force the other team's hand...

Good luck to both teams! I'm looking for a typical Oldham - Shelby battle! :cool:

I would be willing to guess that the SHelby Co schedule has turned out a lot tougher then they had planned on when it was made 3 years ago. Think about North Hardin's, North Bullitt's or even Doss' status 3-4 years ago? Johnson Central was a late add on during the big storm week and they def added toughness to the schedule.

Eastern, South Oldham and Oldham have always been on the schedule and I would hope it would stay that way.

Manual was the one game that the Rockets added to the schedule hoping to see where they stacked up each year against the best.

Schedule would still have been tough and Shelby would still prob have 3-4 losses, but a winning season and success wouldve looked a lot more attainable had Cresap stayed healthy.

Hopefully Cresap is doing well and comes back strong next season for his junior year.

Col Mike, who does the rain and wet conditions give the advantage to, if either team?

Hard to predict what those schedules will be like when you put them together...teams change.

Personal opinion, I think the rain helps Shelby...power teams always do better in the slop. Oldham's more of a finesse team. Multi-faceted offense. They do have a "hoss" they can run, but they don't use him a lot; he's too valuable on defense.

Looking forward to it. IMO, this is one of the great rivalries...