Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spring Break Baseball Trip

Featured Replies

In talking to our head coach, the tough thing about fund-raising in advance in not knowing who will make the team the following Spring. How do you ask kids to fund raise in advance if there's a chance they won't even make the team? And conversely, what if a new student moves into the school during the winter and misses all the fundraising events, but makes the ball team?

 

I wish like heck our school would go down. Beats watching it rain/snow outside here in NKY and I very much agree the bonding experience, especially that early in the season, in invaluable. I've always been curious how some of the smaller schools up here in NKY ( schools like Walton, Bellevue, Lloyd, etc... ) make this trip down there. Good for them. I'm envious. :p

Players and parents, from the previous season can help with fund raising. Car Washes in the summer/fall, bake sales, concessions, golf scrambles, bingo, dinners, raffles, selling t-shirts, etc...The list is endless.

 

Who is on the roster, is not relevant to early fund-raising by the Coaches and parents.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players and parents, from the previous season can help with fund raising. Car Washes in the summer/fall, bake sales, concessions, golf scrambles, bingo, dinners, raffles, selling t-shirts, etc...The list is endless.

 

Who is on the roster, is not relevant to early fund-raising by the Coaches and parents.

 

Absolutely right.

Players and parents, from the previous season can help with fund raising. Car Washes in the summer/fall, bake sales, concessions, golf scrambles, bingo, dinners, raffles, selling t-shirts, etc...The list is endless.

 

Who is on the roster, is not relevant to early fund-raising by the Coaches and parents.

 

What happens when the player who does not get to play much for example in 2008, but his parents spend several hours at car washes etc. in the fall. Then in the tryout of 2009 he gets cut? That is not going to sit real well.

  • Author

I agree with what everyone is saying about fund raising and booster clubs helping. And that would be great. But I am talking about a coach who has said: Alright here is what your Kid owes to go on this trip, (no pay no go). No transportation provided, so you as parents must get them there and back. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR TO PLAYER OR PARENTS.

What happens when the player who does not get to play much for example in 2008, but his parents spend several hours at car washes etc. in the fall. Then in the tryout of 2009 he gets cut? That is not going to sit real well.
That is why the team is first and no place, for the individual. So are suggesting, if a parent works at fund raising, the Coach should base his roster spot, off that and not ability?

 

There are not many guarantees in life, especially in the realm of High School sports. Any fund raising done for a sport, is going to help the team and that should be the only goal.

 

I know many who fund raise for various sports, organizations, clubs and don't have student-athletes who play that sport.

 

I agree with what everyone is saying about fund raising and booster clubs helping. And that would be great. But I am talking about a coach who has said: Alright here is what your Kid owes to go on this trip, (no pay no go). No transportation provided, so you as parents must get them there and back. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR TO PLAYER OR PARENTS.
Trips cost money and if the obligation of the Player, to pay a portion, than I will assume he like the rest of the roster, in doing so.

 

Some can afford it, some have to raise it and many will struggle. If the fund raising goes well, perhaps it can offset those who aren't able to.

As a former head coach here is what I did

 

We went every other year alternating with the softball team so that is one way to make it work for Title IX.

 

I told parents, players, potential players and potential parenst that all returning players will help in fundraising and there is no option with it. Any player who wants to try out is more than welcome to help but needs to understand it does not in any way help his chances to make the team and will not be considered if they are on the fence with another kid. We take the best.

 

I tell parents any money raise is not soley for their child but for every child that is on the team. If they have a problem with that then that is their problem and not mine. Same deal for parents of players who are planning to try out - we appreciate the help but it doesn't guarantee anything.

 

When we get started on the work I tell the parents who show up that I agree with them that all parents should be there helping but some can't and won't show up for whatever reasons. We can either direct our energies towards the goal and accomplish something great for these kids or we can focus our energies on the ones not there and fall short.

 

This was the same attitude our softball coach took as well.

 

There is no easy solution to this but there is a lot of hard work needed to get this done. If you plan ahead and are honest then it will usually take care of itself for the good. I never broke it down each player is responsible for "X" amount because I didn't want to be forced into making the decision of making a kid stay home because he was a few dollars short. If they didn't do the fundraising then they were cut and they weren't required to be at every one. They had to make a percentage of fundraisers.

 

We provided a $5 a meal allowance at the fast food places but if we went to somewhere nice they had to pay for it or if there was any shopping they were responsible for that. But there were plenty of times I went into my own pocket to pay for a kid's meal if they didn't have it.

Agree 100% TF2709.

As a former head coach here is what I did

 

We went every other year alternating with the softball team so that is one way to make it work for Title IX.

 

I told parents, players, potential players and potential parenst that all returning players will help in fundraising and there is no option with it. Any player who wants to try out is more than welcome to help but needs to understand it does not in any way help his chances to make the team and will not be considered if they are on the fence with another kid. We take the best.

 

I tell parents any money raise is not soley for their child but for every child that is on the team. If they have a problem with that then that is their problem and not mine. Same deal for parents of players who are planning to try out - we appreciate the help but it doesn't guarantee anything.

 

When we get started on the work I tell the parents who show up that I agree with them that all parents should be there helping but some can't and won't show up for whatever reasons. We can either direct our energies towards the goal and accomplish something great for these kids or we can focus our energies on the ones not there and fall short.

 

This was the same attitude our softball coach took as well.

 

There is no easy solution to this but there is a lot of hard work needed to get this done. If you plan ahead and are honest then it will usually take care of itself for the good. I never broke it down each player is responsible for "X" amount because I didn't want to be forced into making the decision of making a kid stay home because he was a few dollars short. If they didn't do the fundraising then they were cut and they weren't required to be at every one. They had to make a percentage of fundraisers.

 

We provided a $5 a meal allowance at the fast food places but if we went to somewhere nice they had to pay for it or if there was any shopping they were responsible for that. But there were plenty of times I went into my own pocket to pay for a kid's meal if they didn't have it.

 

 

These are two great points for any booster club, regardless if it's for a spring break trip or not. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

As a former head coach here is what I did

 

We went every other year alternating with the softball team so that is one way to make it work for Title IX.

 

I told parents, players, potential players and potential parenst that all returning players will help in fundraising and there is no option with it. Any player who wants to try out is more than welcome to help but needs to understand it does not in any way help his chances to make the team and will not be considered if they are on the fence with another kid. We take the best.

 

I tell parents any money raise is not soley for their child but for every child that is on the team. If they have a problem with that then that is their problem and not mine. Same deal for parents of players who are planning to try out - we appreciate the help but it doesn't guarantee anything.

 

When we get started on the work I tell the parents who show up that I agree with them that all parents should be there helping but some can't and won't show up for whatever reasons. We can either direct our energies towards the goal and accomplish something great for these kids or we can focus our energies on the ones not there and fall short.

 

This was the same attitude our softball coach took as well.

 

There is no easy solution to this but there is a lot of hard work needed to get this done. If you plan ahead and are honest then it will usually take care of itself for the good. I never broke it down each player is responsible for "X" amount because I didn't want to be forced into making the decision of making a kid stay home because he was a few dollars short. If they didn't do the fundraising then they were cut and they weren't required to be at every one. They had to make a percentage of fundraisers.

 

We provided a $5 a meal allowance at the fast food places but if we went to somewhere nice they had to pay for it or if there was any shopping they were responsible for that. But there were plenty of times I went into my own pocket to pay for a kid's meal if they didn't have it.

 

Great post TigerFan:thumb:

How does this work with title ix. Does your Booster's also provide money for the girl's softball team to take a trip?

 

Nope, the girls raised their own funds and travelled as well.

Excellent post tigerfan! I suspect that many HS coaches dip into their own pockets on a regular basis... for all sports. But afterall, they get that big salary for coaching!! ;):D

Bluegrass - there have been some kids who have played for me that I believe I could have received a tax break from them. I wouldn't change a thing either.

 

We took a trip one year to Myrtle Beach SC and it was the first time some of my guys had ever seen the ocean. To see their faces when we were walking on the beach was worth every penny and minute working to raise money.

There have been some great posts in here. The competition aspect goes without saying. Your not going to find anything like it close. The problem does become the money as I know of a kid that was not allowed to play, (well he would have been allowed with stipulations), because his parents could not afford the Florida trip. this happened while otheres were allowed to miss the Florida trip for personal Spring Break plans. This is where you really get into messes!

Bluegrass - there have been some kids who have played for me that I believe I could have received a tax break from them. I wouldn't change a thing either.

 

We took a trip one year to Myrtle Beach SC and it was the first time some of my guys had ever seen the ocean. To see their faces when we were walking on the beach was worth every penny and minute working to raise money.

 

This is what HS sports is all about!!! Where were you at when I played.....:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.