Pulaski Co. 38 Southwestern 35

cammando

I was on my way home and Pulaski stopped Southwestern on 4th and goal from inside the 1 with around 2 minutes to play. Guess those special team problems made Anderson leery of going for the field goal and having to kickoff to the Maroons with a tie score.

Sounds like the Maroons capped off a great week against their crosstown rivals. Didn't they sweep the Freshman, JV and Varsity games against the Warriors?

Alex Abner had 426 all-purpose yards, 4TDs, & the stop on the goal line, forcing a fumble at the end of the game. When the SW kicker finally kicked one out of bounds in the 4th qtr to keep it from being returned, the SW side let out a huge cheer. Very funny stuff. SW did a very good job containing Chris Muse, but had no answer for Abner. Taylor Moat ran the ball well for the Warriors. The officials did a great job tonight letting the kids decide the game. They let them play. Congrats to the Maroons on the sweep this week.

It was an exciting game to watch as expected. Both teams played hard and put on a good show. What I don't understand is why the Warriors would continue to kick to Adners side of the field. With a few exceptions Southwestern is missing too many tackles, maybe they need to go back to tackle school. Mote had a good night stepping up and running the ball with King probably not 100%. Pulaski seemed to be able to pass at will, Southwesterns secondary needs some work. I believe Southwestern only had one fumble, a big improvement.

Pulaski stepped up & played as a TEAM tonight. Sure, Abner had some yards & big plays for PC, but the entire team came to play tonight, opening up huge holes for Abner to run thru either on kick returns or on run plays. This may have been the best TEAM effort PC has shown in several years! I don't remember what Muse had passing but I know he only had 35 yards on the ground.

If you told me Hines would not play & Muse would have only 35 yards rushing, I would say SW wins by 3-4 TDs. Great Job Maroons!!

I was on my way home and Pulaski stopped Southwestern on 4th and goal from inside the 1 with around 2 minutes to play. Guess those special team problems made Anderson leery of going for the field goal and having to kickoff to the Maroons with a tie score.

Sounds like the Maroons capped off a great week against their crosstown rivals. Didn't they sweep the Freshman, JV and Varsity games against the Warriors?

I understand the thinking of if we can't punch it in from the one we don't deserve the win, but I was shocked that they didn't kick the field goal. Maybe Dale's thinking was that they had struggled all night to stop each other and here was a chance to take a little pressure of of his D by getting the lead and not a tie. Seems like playing for the tie at home and going to OT would have been a better play, but hind sight is always a little better than the live view.

Sounds like Mote and Abner really stepped it up last night. I had been hearing that Alex was capable of this kind of game he just needed the touches, with Hines DQ he got the chance to show what he could do. I thought coming into the game that Hines would be missed much more on D than on O. Abner seems to be a more natural runner and was well suited to fill his spot on the O-side of the ball.

Congrats to both sounded like a great game.

I hope PC can get their offense going before the playoffs because the only thing that won the game for them was special teams.

I'm sure Hines return will help with that. The two games before the Southwestern game with Pulaski at near full strength on offense (I believe one of their strarting receivers was out) they scored 101 points. I don't think offense will be a problem for them. :rolleyes:

Besides, your yardage will be down when you basically run 3 kickoffs back for touchdowns. That's 3 possesions that ended in touchdowns that Pulaski's offense only had to produce 2 yards on. Pulaski's main concern is their defense--if it improves they'll be a very tough out in the playoffs. :thumb:

What were the hats that Pulaski broke out on the field after the game?

What was the trophy the announcers were talking about, is it a traveling trophy between the two schools?

As for the trophy, Cumberland Valley National Bank gave out an MVP for both teams & a Championship trophy. It was Mote for SW & Abner for PC.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited content