Dave Campbell's take on Varitek's tag

Basically Campbell is saying that the rules don't specifically state how long you have to hold onto the ball and he doesn't agree with the call. Of course since he has been a MLB umpire for so long his opinion is much more important than the crew that was at the game. :rolleyes:

The thing is they keep comparing it to either 1) A reciever catching the ball in the NFL and the ground jarring it loose which is just silly. or 2) A runner running over the catcher at home plate which is a totally different play. or 3) An outfielder catching a ball and running into the wall which is specifically referenced and not nearly the same circumstance.

This play is much closer to a throw to second base on a double play. If the pivot man holds the ball long enough to draw the out call from the umpire then it doesn't matter what he does from there. How many times have we seen a 2nd baseman hold the ball for a split second then bobble it trying to get it out of his glove and still get the out call? Varitek tagged Willits, who did nothing to jar the ball loose, took about a step and a half then fell down and dropped the ball. He wasn't juggling it, the ball wasn't trapped against his body, like on a collision at the plate, and it was well after the tag that he let go of the ball. Since the rules do not specify how long you have to hold the ball after a tag and the runner did not dislodge the ball I don't see how he could have been called safe. Even if he would have been safe Aybar hit a grounder to 1st which would not have scored anyone so they would have needed a 2 out hit which, except for Hunter, no one seemed to be able to get. Also, it had nothing to do with the Red Sox bottom of the 9th. They would have had the game tied and a runner on 2nd with 2 outs. Campbell was about the only one to say that he was safe. The whole Baseball Tonight Crew said he was out. Either way the Angels have only themselves to blame for the Series loss, if they play defense and hit with runners in scoring position they win anyway. The Sox did both of those and that is why they are the defending World Series Champions and not 1-9 in their last 3 playoff series versus the Angels.

Edited by AverageJoesGym

^ excellent and dead on...kudos.

Thanks, and since you were the one to make the call on the Rays early in the year (excellent job by the way) will they take down the Sox and make the Series? I have to be honest, they scare the heck out of me, I think Boston has to split in Tampa to have a chance.

I heard him say earlier that there should have at the very least been a conference by the crew. I agree w/ that. I believe the call was correct, but he could have asked the guy down the left field line what he thought. Bottom line IMO though was the outcome was correct.

Getting the ESPN stamp of approval on the Red Sox is like tuning into Fox News to see who won the debate

Campbell and Mike & Mike also work for ESPN. They are the ones that disagreed. If the Cubs would ever win a World Series it would be a huge event and get that kind of coverage. The Sox first started getting that kind of coverage in 2003 in that epic series vs. the Yanks. They've now appeared in 4 out of 6 ALCS so yeah, they are a pretty big part of the American League and very relevant.

There you go with the Cubs again. You're obsessed :lol:

ESPN's east coast bias and love affair with the Red Sox/Pats/Yankees has been evident for a long time.

Aren't they based in Bristol, Ct which is Red Sox Country? Aren't ratings much higher when East Coast teams are featured in a big game? Even with the Sox in the playoffs viewership was down 20% this season without a New York team in the playoffs--the Sox are the next biggest draw so they just know where their bread is buttered. I'm not obsessed with the Cubs who haven't been relevant for awhile, you've made numerous comments about ESPN's coverage of the Sox/Yankees. I'm not sure why you're upset, your Cubs got plenty of coverage this weekend--maybe not happy coverage but attention nonetheless. You know I'm just giving you a hard time, right?

Thanks, and since you were the one to make the call on the Rays early in the year (excellent job by the way) will they take down the Sox and make the Series? I have to be honest, they scare the heck out of me, I think Boston has to split in Tampa to have a chance.

I have to admit, my father tipped me off on the Rays, and I made a little money on his synopsis....that said, I think the Red Sox take this series, there's something about 40 degree baseball that concerns me with Florida teams. Add to that, these kids have no idea what they are in for, regardless of what they accomplished over the last 5 months.