Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Terrible Cover Songs

Featured Replies

There's some great ones (Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt' by NIN) and then there's this atrocious cover of 'You Shook Me All Night Long by Celine Dion and Anastasia...

 

What's some of your least favorite ones?

Almost anything (and I hate to say it, because he's the headliner at this weekend's Rosemary Clooney festival in Maysville) Michael Bolton. The guy sounds like he's passing a kidney stone the size of a canteloupe.

Almost anything (and I hate to say it, because he's the headliner at this weekend's Rosemary Clooney festival in Maysville) Michael Bolton. The guy sounds like he's passing a kidney stone the size of a canteloupe.

 

:lol:

 

So you aren't upset that the show is sold out and you can't go??

 

Unlike movie remakes, I actually like a lot of song remakes. There is a band called Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and they have made a career ripping apart "classic" songs. They have covered Beatles and Zeppelin stuff, since I didn't get upset by that, I can't imagine anything bothering me too much.

:lol:

 

So you aren't upset that the show is sold out and you can't go??

 

Unlike movie remakes, I actually like a lot of song remakes. There is a band called Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and they have made a career ripping apart "classic" songs. They have covered Beatles and Zeppelin stuff, since I didn't get upset by that, I can't imagine anything bothering me too much.

 

I usually take camp chairs and listen for free. The Pointer Sisters were VERY entertaining last year; and our chairs were about 30 feet behind the paying public's section.:thumb:

Can you cover yourself?

 

Layla is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time, but I didn't care at all for Clapton's unplugged version.

I'll have to give this one some thought. There are some bad ones out there.

 

Rascal Flatts' cover of Tom Cochrane's "Life is a Highway" sounds almost identical to the original except sung crummier. That's usually something to avoid when doing a cover song.

 

Actually, pretty much any modern country song that covers a far superior original version. That will probably save me a lot of time.

I'll have to give this one some thought. There are some bad ones out there.

 

Rascal Flatts' cover of Tom Cochrane's "Life is a Highway" sounds almost identical to the original except sung crummier. That's usually something to avoid when doing a cover song.

 

Actually, pretty much any modern country song that covers a far superior original version. That will probably save me a lot of time.

 

Thank you.

 

For me, it's any song that pretty much sounds like the original, but with a different voice behind it. That kind of disrespects the original, IMO. The artist doing the cover should do something different, so that you can listen to the original, and the cover, and appreciate both.

LeAnn Rimes singing "Purple Rain". That is just nasty.:creepy::creepy::creepy:

"Yellow Submarine", from the album "Will Success Spoil Mrs. Miller?"

 

Possibly the worst of all time, although it predates most BGPers. Take a listen courtesy of the link, and see if you don't agree...

 

http://www.last.fm/music/Mrs.+Miller

 

A deserving entry.

 

Disgusting...

 

My least favorites:

 

"Stand by Me" -- John Lennon... I don't mind this version, but I can't even begin to compare it to the original.

Any ABBA songs the A-Teens do

 

My favorites:

 

"Last Kiss" -- Pearl Jam

"Billie Jean -- Chris Cornell... I hated this at first, but after a few listens it really grew on me.

"Red Red Wine" -- UB40

Oh, and I would also like to mention that "I Walk the Line" by Live is a very good one.

 

I know there's so many more bad ones. Why I am only thinking of good I have no idea....

Carrie Underwood did a pretty cool version of Paradise City at her concert last night.

I just remembered William Shanter and the "memorable" covers he did in the late 60's, early 70's. Just WOW! :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.