Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Packers Give in: Brett Favre will be allowed to compete for starting QB spot!

Featured Replies

Well so long Aaron Rodgers..If I were him I would be thoroughly upset with the Packers management..Especially after going on for the last 3 weeks about how there was no competition that Rodgers was their guy now and that they've moved on...Packers organization is a joke and Favre is pulling all the strings. I have lost a lot of respect for both parties now.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Brett Favre will get his wish: a shot to unseat Aaron Rodgers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219

NFL grants Favre reinstatement; sources say QB job is open

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Packers' active roster Monday. And at that point, it looks like the fun will start.

 

Team president Mark Murphy said in a statement Sunday that the team has a specific plan with Favre in camp that it won't reveal until Monday, but sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that coach Mike McCarthy will announce he's holding an open competition for the starting quarterback position.

 

Favre's reinstatement, announced by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Sunday, will become effective at 1 p.m. ET Monday. His first practice will likely come Tuesday.

Bottom line IMO:

The Packers have a chance to win the Super Bowl this year with Brett Farve. They don't know what they have without him. I don't blame them a bit if they take him back. They have a chance to win it all with him and they have a future QB in Brohm that will be ready in a couple of years.

I feel REALLY bad for Rodgers but as of right now he hasn't really earned anything. People never talk about what it would be like if he went to Tampa and took Garcia's shot. Heck Garcia has been jerked around all of his career and is a Pro Bowler.

IMO Rodgers would be a lot better off getting traded and getting out from the B. Farve shadow. If he didn't win a Super Bowl soon in Green Bay then he would have never lived it down.

I still wouldn't be suprised if Farve is moved.

  • Author
Bottom line IMO:

The Packers have a chance to win the Super Bowl this year with Brett Farve. They don't know what they have without him. I don't blame them a bit if they take him back. They have a chance to win it all with him and they have a future QB in Brohm that will be ready in a couple of years.

I feel REALLY bad for Rodgers but as of right now he hasn't really earned anything. People never talk about what it would be like if he went to Tampa and took Garcia's shot. Heck Garcia has been jerked around all of his career and is a Pro Bowler.

IMO Rodgers would be a lot better off getting traded and getting out from the B. Farve shadow. If he didn't win a Super Bowl soon in Green Bay then he would have never lived it down.

I still wouldn't be suprised if Farve is moved.

 

Actually that isn't bottom line..That's one scenario of a bottom line...

 

It could go that:

 

Green Bay brings back Favre, he stinks it up and the management is criticized for not sticking with Rodgers, who may be traded, and could wind up being a pro bowl QB, while Brohm is now their only option and if they lose Rodgers and Favre finally retires then they have no QB's..Brohm is not ready to lead the Packers, and they'll probably end up with a QB situation like the Browns had for a long time.

Actually that isn't bottom line..That's one scenario of a bottom line...

 

It could go that:

 

Green Bay brings back Favre, he stinks it up and the management is criticized for not sticking with Rodgers, who may be traded, and could wind up being a pro bowl QB, while Brohm is now their only option and if they lose Rodgers and Favre finally retires then they have no QB's..Brohm is not ready to lead the Packers, and they'll probably end up with a QB situation like the Browns had for a long time.

 

 

I thought this also. He probably wont stink it up but if he does then the Packers are in big trouble. Brohm isnt a bad option but coming in new is the biggest problem. He needs some time to get use to the league and pro style of play, like most good/great QB's.

Best bet for the Packers to do is keep him and pay the 25 million to him just to sit on the bench and let Rodgers get going. I know they will get a lot of flack (so this will probably wont happen)

If Favre ends up being the starting QB for Week 1, I will develop even more of a hatred of Green Bay, both front office and Favre.

 

If Rodgers goes out the first 2 or 3 weeks and is throwing interceptions and costing his team, then put Favre in.

 

Just flat out disgusting on both parts on how this has played out.

Bottom line IMO:

The Packers have a chance to win the Super Bowl this year with Brett Farve. They don't know what they have without him. I don't blame them a bit if they take him back. They have a chance to win it all with him and they have a future QB in Brohm that will be ready in a couple of years.

I feel REALLY bad for Rodgers but as of right now he hasn't really earned anything. People never talk about what it would be like if he went to Tampa and took Garcia's shot. Heck Garcia has been jerked around all of his career and is a Pro Bowler.

IMO Rodgers would be a lot better off getting traded and getting out from the B. Farve shadow. If he didn't win a Super Bowl soon in Green Bay then he would have never lived it down.

I still wouldn't be suprised if Farve is moved.

 

You beat me to it again stick, another good post and comments. A chance to compete for the job is all that Favre ask for in the first place. Both parties do share some blame but when Favre made it clear that he wanted to come back then imo when you get right down to it this game is about winning.

Yes, I certainly feel for Rodgers, he is caught in the middle of a bad situation. The Packers may not win a super bowl this season with or without Favre but jmo they have a better chance with #4 behind center...."You play to win the game". Who knows, slate clean then maybe Rodgers will beat out arguably the best QB to ever play the game for the Packers starting position. Not likely but it could happen.

I also feel that Brohm is sitting pretty in a great position, he was not going to be a starter this season anyway. I said when drafted that you don't want to be the man that follows the legend.....you want to be the man that follows the man that follows the legend. Even if Rodgers moves on now I think that if Brohm is the next QB at Green Bay then bc of this situation it will not be as rough on him if he does follow Favre.

I just hope that this does not tear the team apart and separate allegiances within the clubhouse. We will have to see about that.

 

GO Packers!!

We are talking about the NFL , correct? Where does "fair" come into playing time decisions?

 

The #1 goal is to win. Period. If they think Favre is the guy, it would be silly to not have in there. If Rodgers is better,he'll play. If he's not better, he won't play NOR should he.

 

Yes, it is a bit of a mess but , in reality, its not. The Pack will start the season with a HOFer at qb unless the youngster is better.

 

Isn't that what competition is all about?

I hope they give him the "opportunity" to compete and stick with Rodgers. I'm so sick of this whole thing and it has really tarnished my image of Brett Favre.

I hope they give him the "opportunity" to compete and stick with Rodgers. I'm so sick of this whole thing and it has really tarnished my image of Brett Favre.

 

I sort of get the tarnished image thought. However, are we saying a guy can't change his mind? In reality, isn't is the Pack that could've said right from the beginning :"welcome back - you get to compete for your job"????

Actually that isn't bottom line..That's one scenario of a bottom line...

 

It could go that:

 

Green Bay brings back Favre, he stinks it up and the management is criticized for not sticking with Rodgers, who may be traded, and could wind up being a pro bowl QB, while Brohm is now their only option and if they lose Rodgers and Favre finally retires then they have no QB's..Brohm is not ready to lead the Packers, and they'll probably end up with a QB situation like the Browns had for a long time.

 

You are right that could happen but lets be real here. Farve is a top 5 QB right now. He's coming off of one of his best years in history and is an iron man.

Rodgers hasn't played an NFL season yet and takes a lot of hits WAY more than Farve. With that being said it makes even more sense for the Packers to keep Farve. I agree that Brohm isn't ready yet but there is a much better chance that Rodgers gets hurt or stinks it up which would force Brohm in now than Farve stinking it up.

Would you honestly rather have Rodgers leading the Packers this year if you are management? He gives them a chance to win the Super Bowl this year. Can you say that with Rodgers at the helm? You don't get a chance to go to the Super Bowl every year.

No matter what happens I like the Packers and will always be a Farve fan. It's crazy IMO to want an unproven leading a Super Bowl caliber team over a 1st ballott hall of famer that is playing as good as he can play. It's not like he is playing awful right now. There's a BIG difference.

I feel bad for Rodgers but the Packers have made a history of bringing in backups behind Farve, trading them off and staying a top franchise because of it while the iron man continues to produce. Hassellback, Bruenell, Detmer etc. Hassellback is a really solid QB but I don't think Packer fans hate managment because they kept Farve:lol:

I also think it is pretty clear that Farve was lied too quite a bit and there isn't a trust there with T. Thompson. I knew something went bad with the Randy Moss deal. I don't look at Farve any different. The news is getting old but it was right smack in the middle of the down time for the NFL which worked out great for them. While NFL guys are getting arrested, beating women, doing drugs etc a guy that was put under pressure to make a decision to retire or not decided he has the passion to go compete. The media has worn it out but I don't blame Farve.

Farve offering up some of his salary to land Moss says a lot too me. T. Thompson lying about the whole thing would tick me off too.

I also think it is pretty clear that Farve was lied too quite a bit and there isn't a trust there with T. Thompson. I knew something went bad with the Randy Moss deal. I don't look at Farve any different. The news is getting old but it was right smack in the middle of the down time for the NFL which worked out great for them. While NFL guys are getting arrested, beating women, doing drugs etc a guy that was put under pressure to make a decision to retire or not decided he has the passion to go compete. The media has worn it out but I don't blame Farve.

:thumb:

Farve offering up some of his salary to land Moss says a lot too me. T. Thompson lying about the whole thing would tick me off too.

 

:thumb:

  • Author

But if I was Packers management I would be ticked at Favre too..He isn't the golden boy you think he is...Management asked him to come back...He said yes, then 2 days before the official announcement he told them he changed his mind and was ready to retire...Management did what they were supposed too, and moved forward..Now he just ups and wants to come back and expects everything to be ok? WRONG! I don't care who you are it doesn't work that way and the Packers organization is just enabling this kind of activity by giving in..

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.