Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How about a 16 team playoff now that we have 6 classes

Featured Replies

IMHO 32 teams is way to many, only district champ and runner-up needed.

IMHO 32 teams is way to many, only district champ and runner-up needed.

 

 

That kind of undoes what the basic idea behind 6 classes was, to get more teams into the playoffs. If that is the idea then why not just turn back the clock to 4 classes and let 4 teams make the playoffs from each district.

 

 

It's no big deal to me either way as long as my team doesn't get kicked out into its own division, I am content.

Personally, I have given up on Kentucky ever going back to four classes, and I have almost given up on Kentucky ever going back to just the top two teams from each district making the playoffs.

 

With that said, I would like the state to go ahead and have an all inclusive post season single elimination tournament. Indiana does it it with twice the number of teams, and it would only add one week to the post season. I know that people are going to complain about the late ending of the season, but if the buy week was done away with there would be no added time to the season. Or, if we went back to the second week of August as a starting date, it would not add any time to the season.

 

Look at the numbers:

1A has a total of 41 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 78% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

2A has a total of 33 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 96% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

3A has a total of 40 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 80% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

4A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

5A has a total of 37 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 86% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

6A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

Why not go ahead and let everyone in the playoffs, because almost everyone is in now. Give every team a shot at a Cinderella story. Give the top 1 or 2 teams a buy week in week 11 as a reward for being the top 1 or 2.

 

The current playoff format was designed to let more teams in the playoffs, so why not let the other 14% in too.

 

In Kentucky:

223 total football playing schools.

192 teams make the playoffs.

31 teams do not make the playoffs.

86% make the playoffs.

14% do not make the playoffs.

I have said for a long time that this (playoffs) should be the district winners and runner up only going. 4 teams are way too many imo.

Like Ram, I cartainly remember when it used to be only the district champion advancing.

Personally, I have given up on Kentucky ever going back to four classes, and I have almost given up on Kentucky ever going back to just the top two teams from each district making the playoffs.

 

With that said, I would like the state to go ahead and have an all inclusive post season single elimination tournament. Indiana does it it with twice the number of teams, and it would only add one week to the post season. I know that people are going to complain about the late ending of the season, but if the buy week was done away with there would be no added time to the season. Or, if we went back to the second week of August as a starting date, it would not add any time to the season.

 

Look at the numbers:

1A has a total of 41 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 78% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

2A has a total of 33 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 96% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

3A has a total of 40 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 80% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

4A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

5A has a total of 37 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 86% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

6A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

Why not go ahead and let everyone in the playoffs, because almost everyone is in now. Give every team a shot at a Cinderella story. Give the top 1 or 2 teams a buy week in week 11 as a reward for being the top 1 or 2.

 

The current playoff format was designed to let more teams in the playoffs, so why not let the other 14% in too.

 

 

I agree, 100% of the teams make the playoffs in basketball, unless they have been naughty.:lol:

I have said for a long time that this (playoffs) should be the district winners and runner up only going. 4 teams are way too many imo.

Like Ram, I cartainly remember when it used to be only the district champion advancing.

 

I remember this as well. A lot of good football teams werent in the playoffs back then. Do you remember the old "Dickinson System"??

What is so bad about kids getting one more week to play football? Since when did high school sports become about being exclusive in its path to crowning a champion and move away from providing, especially in football, every kid a chance to be a part of an organized sport? Who cares if everyone gets in? The cream will rise to the top and the same 12-15 schools will be there in the end anyways. These kids at "non-contender" schools aren't playing and hoping their season ends quickly. Kids play because it is fun, and important, and special to them even when they're not on the winning end of things. If this wasn't true, you'd have a lot of teams and schools folding programs.

 

I am all for the best being recognized for whom they are, but why the angst against those who are not the best getting one more chance to take the field?

  • Author

I'm not saying take the district champ and runner-up from a power school like Highlands or somthing. I'm from a school that in the past 17 years under the 32 team format have made the playoffs 12-17 times, however only 4 times have we been in the top 2 spots. 32 teams is just way to many, you have 10 games to show if you belong in the playoffs or not.

My problem with the current system is not the number of teams in, rather the number of teams not in and why.

 

With no disrespect meant to Butler they never should have been in the playoffs last year if everyone wasn't in, yet because of geography and the number of teams in their area they got in. In a playoff system where there are teams left out a team that doesn't win a game in the regular season shouldn't get in. What did their playoff experience get them any way? A lopsided loss.

 

If a winless tean can make the playoffs then every team should make the playoffs.

Personally, I have given up on Kentucky ever going back to four classes, and I have almost given up on Kentucky ever going back to just the top two teams from each district making the playoffs.

 

With that said, I would like the state to go ahead and have an all inclusive post season single elimination tournament. Indiana does it it with twice the number of teams, and it would only add one week to the post season. I know that people are going to complain about the late ending of the season, but if the buy week was done away with there would be no added time to the season. Or, if we went back to the second week of August as a starting date, it would not add any time to the season.

 

Look at the numbers:

1A has a total of 41 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 78% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

2A has a total of 33 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 96% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

3A has a total of 40 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 80% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

4A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

5A has a total of 37 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 86% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

6A has a total of 36 teams and 32 make the playoffs. That is 88% of the teams make the playoffs now.

 

Why not go ahead and let everyone in the playoffs, because almost everyone is in now. Give every team a shot at a Cinderella story. Give the top 1 or 2 teams a buy week in week 11 as a reward for being the top 1 or 2.

 

The current playoff format was designed to let more teams in the playoffs, so why not let the other 14% in too.

 

In Kentucky:

223 total football playing schools.

192 teams make the playoffs.

31 teams do not make the playoffs.

86% make the playoffs.

14% do not make the playoffs.

 

I've also advocated an all inclusive playoff system for football. The system works fine in Indiana and would work well in Ky as well. I would hope we could go back to only 5 classes as well, but I think the ship has already sailed on that issue.

I'm not saying take the district champ and runner-up from a power school like Highlands or somthing. I'm from a school that in the past 17 years under the 32 team format have made the playoffs 12-17 times, however only 4 times have we been in the top 2 spots. 32 teams is just way to many, you have 10 games to show if you belong in the playoffs or not.

 

 

Sorry, you're making this argument a few years too late. It's not going to go back to that because the whole point of going to 6 classes was to et more teams in the playoffs.

 

I don't care either way, I am just telling you the reasoning behind why we went to 6 classes. If we go back to the 2 teams making the playoffs then it won't make any difference to me because my team hasn't missed the playoffs since, well, I don't know when.

  • Author
My problem with the current system is not the number of teams in, rather the number of teams not in and why.

 

With no disrespect meant to Butler they never should have been in the playoffs last year if everyone wasn't in, yet because of geography and the number of teams in their area they got in. In a playoff system where there are teams left out a team that doesn't win a game in the regular season shouldn't get in. What did their playoff experience get them any way? A lopsided loss.

 

If a winless tean can make the playoffs then every team should make the playoffs.

 

I agree.

While I don’t completely agree with the current Kentucky playoff system, it could be worse. One specific example in Ohio is a team that has gone 25-7 over the last three years to include 9-1 last year and has not made the playoffs a single year. Granted it is because Ohio uses a formula system and strength of schedule is considered, yet a team in the smallest division in the state that goes 9-1 I believe should at least make the playoffs. I can’t imagine if a team in Kentucky went 9-1 or 8-2 and didn’t even make the playoffs. BGP would have to add another terabyte of server space to hold all the complaints.

While I don’t completely agree with the current Kentucky playoff system, it could be worse. One specific example in Ohio is a team that has gone 25-7 over the last three years to include 9-1 last year and has not made the playoffs a single year. Granted it is because Ohio uses a formula system and strength of schedule is considered, yet a team in the smallest division in the state that goes 9-1 I believe should at least make the playoffs. I can’t imagine if a team in Kentucky went 9-1 or 8-2 and didn’t even make the playoffs. BGP would have to add another terabyte of server space to hold all the complaints.

 

 

AGREED!!!! :D

I actually love the all inclusive idea. The possibilty of a cinderella story would be great. If only 14% of teams are not currently making the playoffs, what the heck, let'em all in......

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.