Packers attitude on Favre: If you want to play, show up.

espite reports that the Green Bay Packers have rebuffed apparent interest on the part of quarterback Brett Favre to resume wearing the yellow helmet with the squished “G”, a league source tells us that the team’s attitude regarding Favre is simple.

If you want to play, show up.

In other words, the team isn’t going to smooch Brett’s butt (or any other body parts) in an effort to get him to play for them.

The suspicion in some circles is that Favre and/or his agent, Bus Cook, are trying to finagle an impasse between the Packers and Favre, so that Favre can play for another team.

And Favre, as we hear it, has one team in mind.

Who is the other team? Stay tuned. (It’s a slow week, so we need to milk these a bit.)

LINK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favre to Fox: Packers didn't want me so I asked for release

MILWAUKEE --Brett Favre finally is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released.

The quarterback's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News on On the Record with Greta Van Susteren.

"OK, you guys have a different path, fine," Favre said, recalling a June 20 conversation with Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "What does that mean for me? So that means either you give me my helmet, welcome back, or release me, or attempt to trade me. We all know that's a possibility, but way-out-there possibility.

"And he says, 'Well, playing here is not an option, but we can't envision you playing with another team, you know, either.' And I thought, so basically, I'm not playing for anyone if I choose to come back."

Full Article

I like Brett, but it's time for everyone to move on. No one forced him to retire, so I think the Packers need to do what's best for the Packers.

What's best for them is to quit acting like Rodgers is John Elway and invite Brett back w/ open arms b/c they have a chance to win the SuperBowl this year. If they thought Rodgers was so good why did they draft a "backup" in the second round of the draft?

What's best for them is to quit acting like Rodgers is John Elway and invite Brett back w/ open arms b/c they have a chance to win the SuperBowl this year. If they thought Rodgers was so good why did they draft a "backup" in the second round of the draft?

Because it's always good to have a backup QB in case something happens. Why did the Giants draft Woodson when Eli is their man..So there goes that theory out the window.

I know people think the Packers owe him something but they don't...It's a business and they are moving on. They asked him to come back he said no, they moved on and made Rodgers the starter...Now Bret is crying wanting to come back and expects the Packers to act like none of this ever happened, which is wrong. No sense in that stuff and he just needs to stay retired...In a way I wouldn't mind seeing him come back and see him having an awful year just because of the antics he is pulling this offseason.

Because it's always good to have a backup QB in case something happens. Why did the Giants draft Woodson when Eli is their man..So there goes that theory out the window.

I know people think the Packers owe him something but they don't...It's a business and they are moving on. They asked him to come back he said no, they moved on and made Rodgers the starter...Now Bret is crying wanting to come back and expects the Packers to act like none of this ever happened, which is wrong. No sense in that stuff and he just needs to stay retired...In a way I wouldn't mind seeing him come back and see him having an awful year just because of the antics he is pulling this offseason.

Actually you're just strengthening his point. Why would you waste a 2nd round pick on a guy you want as a backup QB, when you can get one in the 6th round like the Giants did? They aren't confident in Rodgers, and if they had even half a brain they would no that Favre gives them a chance to win the Super Bowl this season.

Actually you're just strengthening his point. Why would you waste a 2nd round pick on a guy you want as a backup QB, when you can get one in the 6th round like the Giants did? They aren't confident in Rodgers, and if they had even half a brain they would no that Favre gives them a chance to win the Super Bowl this season.

Maybe it was one of those things where they didn't see a player they liked with the 2nd round pick that fit their system. Maybe they had other players in mind but didn't want to use that early of a pick on them so they drafted the best player available in Brohm...There is many scenario's to what they were thinking but it doesn't solely mean that they are not confident in Rodgers to lead them.

I think they're very confident in Rodgers.

You claim drafting Brohm shows they aren't confident in him.

I would counter that the stance they've taken with Favre shows the exact opposite.

Now, I ask, which is the stronger argument? ;)

It is their fault b/c they made him decide in March. Also, he never retired officially and they knew it. He just had a press conference saying he was retiring.

Maybe it was one of those things where they didn't see a player they liked with the 2nd round pick that fit their system. Maybe they had other players in mind but didn't want to use that early of a pick on them so they drafted the best player available in Brohm...There is many scenario's to what they were thinking but it doesn't solely mean that they are not confident in Rodgers to lead them.

For example, the retirement of Favre means Rodgers moves up and there is a empty spot on the QB depth chart. QB was a roster position they needed to fill.

Brohm was a guy many people had graded much higher, so why not take him with the 56th? pick? It was a great value and it filled a need. There's nothing mysterious about that pick.

In addition, the Packers have been the best team in the NFL at drafting and developing good backup QB's and then trading them for some value (think Matt Hasselbeck).

I think they're very confident in Rodgers.

You claim drafting Brohm shows they aren't confident in him.

I would counter that the stance they've taken with Favre shows the exact opposite.

Now, I ask, which is the stronger argument? ;)

How many teams draft their backup QB in the 2nd round 3 years after using a 1st round pick on their "starter" that's never made a start? They at the very least wonder what they have in Rodgers. Last year Favre threw for over 4100 yards and 28 TD's and got the team to w/ in one score of the SB. I'll go on record as saying anyone who replaces him won't do that this year in GB.

If they were so confident in Rodgers why are they saying Favre can come back now? Why don't they go ahead and release him if they're in such good shape?

For example, the retirement of Favre means Rodgers moves up and there is a empty spot on the QB depth chart. QB was a roster position they needed to fill.

Brohm was a guy many people had graded much higher, so why not take him with the 56th? pick? It was a great value and it filled a need. There's nothing mysterious about that pick.

In addition, the Packers have been the best team in the NFL at drafting and developing good backup QB's and then trading them for some value (think Matt Hasselbeck).

Why did they take another QB in the same drat then. How many teams draft backup QB's w/ the first 60 picks in the draft?

It's laughable to say that since one good QB was a backup their they are the best at drafting QB's and trading them. Laughable. One QB panning out in the last 15 years makes them the best?