Harlan County and Bell County fans.

Has the middle school CVC been disolved in Harlan? I know Bell dominated it for a few years and this past year they never played in it. Was they not invited or just didn't play in it. I've heard the Patriots claimed to be the CVC champs from past season. I've watched Bell and New Harlan play in these games and IMO these games are usually better than a high school game. The crowd is alway enormous.

New Harlan were the champs this past year, they beat Pennington Gap, VA.

A very good game, the kid from Pennington ran all over the place, New Harlan ran a kick off back for a touchdown in the final seconds.

There are some different opinions on what happened to Bell County, I believe the closest thing to the truth is, no one but New Harlan wanted to play them so they left the confernce either by there choice or the conference (who ever makes those decisions) This past year the CVC was Evarts, Cumberland, New Harlan, Leslie County, Jonesville VA, and Pennington Gap VA, not sure if anyone else was in the conference and as far as I know it will be that way this year. The CVC used to have a few different teams, but most of them got tired of Bell and New Harlan's dominance. Bell apparently has joined another conference and has a full schedule and declined to play New Harlan, which is terrible like you said these games have been as good or better than highschool games. I hope this rivalry can get started again someday.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wanted to see something happen like this for a long time.

Just thinking of a few matchups:

Harlan County vs. Powell Valley (VA)

Bell County vs. Morristown East (TN)

And if everyone could get along:

Middlesboro vs. Gate City (VA)

Harlan vs. Cumberland Gap (TN)

I don't see Harlan Ind. being in this bowl if it happens.

Harlan has been around for 80 some years as Bayshore mentioned earlier. Seems to me they are big boys and could get their own bowl. lol

If they need help maybe some of those scholars could help them out in starting one. lol Just joking Bayshore, haven't heard from you in awhile and I am starting to get worried.

New Harlan were the champs this past year, they beat Pennington Gap, VA.

A very good game, the kid from Pennington ran all over the place, New Harlan ran a kick off back for a touchdown in the final seconds.

There are some different opinions on what happened to Bell County, I believe the closest thing to the truth is, no one but New Harlan wanted to play them so they left the confernce either by there choice or the conference (who ever makes those decisions) This past year the CVC was Evarts, Cumberland, New Harlan, Leslie County, Jonesville VA, and Pennington Gap VA, not sure if anyone else was in the conference and as far as I know it will be that way this year. The CVC used to have a few different teams, but most of them got tired of Bell and New Harlan's dominance. Bell apparently has joined another conference and has a full schedule and declined to play New Harlan, which is terrible like you said these games have been as good or better than highschool games. I hope this rivalry can get started again someday.

Bell never willingly left the CVC. They were notified it was being dissolved, by someone in charge or someone just wanting to get rid of them. Bell had to travel many miles just to find games. I'm glad New Harlan had the heart and determination to better themselves and play Bell. That's a great program they have and it will benifit the new school tremendously. Bell never entered any new conference. They do play at Morehead in a OVC classic when someone will accept the game. I hope someone will call and tell Bell Middle the CVC still exists. :lol:

Bell never willingly left the CVC. They were notified it was being dissolved, by someone in charge or someone just wanting to get rid of them. Bell had to travel many miles just to find games. I'm glad New Harlan had the heart and determination to better themselves and play Bell. That's a great program they have and it will benifit the new school tremendously. Bell never entered any new conference. They do play at Morehead in a OVC classic when someone will accept the game. I hope someone will call and tell Bell Middle the CVC still exists. :lol:

I think they know, there is a website here in Harlan called the Harlan Playhouse and someone posted a series of emails between New Harlan's and Bells coach. It has to do with New Harlan trying to get them to come here and play and the Bell coach seems bitter blames New Harlan for kicking them out of the conference, when we are the only team that is willing to play them. Something fishy some place the last three times New Harlan has played Bell it has been at bell, they must not like traveling 119. Also heard a rumor that the middle school coach and Coach Hilton don't exactly see eye to eye. I'm sure Hilton and Larkey will get together and get the middle school lined out. New Harlan Bell games are some of the best overall football games I have ever seen, both teams always play hard.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Teams from this area that could be Included are Thomas Walker VA ,Lee High VA ,Cumberland Gap TN and Claiborne TN.

Thomas Walker couldn't even give Pineville a good game (Pineville by 40) , Lee High would play M'boro and Bell Co BUT the 2 TN schools Cumberland Gap and Claiborne forget about it NOT going to happen!

Southeast, you are right on the teams mentioned but I was hoping for more competative teams anyway. They don't have to get teams that are just in this area. Three teams in VA that I can think of right off the top of my head that know how to play football are Appalachia, Powell Valley, and Gate City. They could easily find some TN teams that can play, all they have to do is look in Knoxville or teams around the Knoxville area.

Southeast, you are right on the teams mentioned but I was hoping for more competative teams anyway. They don't have to get teams that are just in this area. Three teams in VA that I can think of right off the top of my head that know how to play football are Appalachia, Powell Valley, and Gate City. They could easily find some TN teams that can play, all they have to do is look in Knoxville or teams around the Knoxville area.
Cumberland Gap has had some really good teams over the last few years and a lot of people me Included would love to have a game with them.

I think it has something to do with the old Powell Valley/Middlesboro games years ago just to much bad blood to have a series with em I don't know:confused: but with them only being 6 or 7 miles away you'd think over the years they would have played a few time.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I think they know, there is a website here in Harlan called the Harlan Playhouse and someone posted a series of emails between New Harlan's and Bells coach. It has to do with New Harlan trying to get them to come here and play and the Bell coach seems bitter blames New Harlan for kicking them out of the conference, when we are the only team that is willing to play them. Something fishy some place the last three times New Harlan has played Bell it has been at bell, they must not like traveling 119. Also heard a rumor that the middle school coach and Coach Hilton don't exactly see eye to eye. I'm sure Hilton and Larkey will get together and get the middle school lined out. New Harlan Bell games are some of the best overall football games I have ever seen, both teams always play hard.

This past year Bell Middle played New Harlan at home, for the only game played last year between the two. Year before last Bell played new New Harlan at Cawood and then at Cumberland for the championship if I'm not mistaken. No problem traveling 119. Well I'm sure the great rivalry between these two teams will not die. I suspect they'll play regardless. Maybe the powers that be in Harlan who dictate the CVC will invite these other teams mentioned above and include Bell in them. :thumb:

Teams from this area that could be Included are Thomas Walker VA ,Lee High VA ,Cumberland Gap TN and Claiborne TN.

Thomas Walker couldn't even give Pineville a good game (Pineville by 40) , Lee High would play M'boro and Bell Co BUT the 2 TN schools Cumberland Gap and Claiborne forget about it NOT going to happen!

I am all for leaving Lee High on the schedule for a regular season game and getting two teams like a Powell Valley and Gate City. Harlan Co. and Bell High could play each of those two on a two year contract. Then whomever hosted the bowl game would travel for the regular season game between the two. This gives both Harlan Co. and Bell high 2 of the non district games each year. Four teams like Harlan Co., Bell, Gate City and Powell could turn into one of the better bowl games in the state of Kentucky. I am one that loves good quality football and would pay admission for these two games anyday. I think this could be a great bowl for Harlan and Bell both. I for one hope it can be worked out because this could be something special.

I think Bell vs. Powell Valley and Harlan vs. Gate City would be great games. It would be great for that area and I am sure that it would bring in huge crowds.

Bell and Harlan wouldn't get anything out of playing a team like Thomas Walker.

I need an answer from the Bobcat nation from your friends here in Black Bear nation. Does Bell have an open date for next year for the first game? If so, I can really see this bowl actually coming true.

I am all for leaving Lee High on the schedule for a regular season game and getting two teams like a Powell Valley and Gate City. Harlan Co. and Bell High could play each of those two on a two year contract. Then whomever hosted the bowl game would travel for the regular season game between the two. This gives both Harlan Co. and Bell high 2 of the non district games each year. Four teams like Harlan Co., Bell, Gate City and Powell could turn into one of the better bowl games in the state of Kentucky. I am one that loves good quality football and would pay admission for these two games anyday. I think this could be a great bowl for Harlan and Bell both. I for one hope it can be worked out because this could be something special.

Good idea.

Harlan County is playing Gate City in basketball this year.