Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Harlan County and Bell County fans.

Featured Replies

I was talking to a very good friend of mine and he is very, very, very close to the superintendent of Harlan County Schools and he was telling me of what I thought was a great idea. Me and my friend were just talking about this and that and he had what I thought was a GREAT idea. He said we ought to have a bowl with Bell County. We could name the bowl the "Tri-State Bowl", "Border Bowl" or something like that. Since Harlan County has agreed to play Bell County in regular season then the school who host the bowl would travel to the other school in the regular season. Example, if Harlan County host the bowl then they would travel to Bell County for the regular season game. The bowl could be set up as follows: if it is called the Tri-State Bowl then we could get a team from Virginia and one team from Tennessee. The teams could sign a two year contract to the bowl and would play each of the Kentucky schools ( Harlan County and Bell County). If we could not find a VA school then we could call it the Border Bowl and have two TN schools. What does all think? I think it is a great idea. Since Middlesboro and Harlan have refused to play each county school then I think it is only right for the County schools not to have anything to do with a city/county bowl with the city schools. I hope the higher ups or someone that can do something about this will look into this. I know my friend has mentioned to the superintendent. So hopefully something can be worked out.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very similar to the situation that Bell had with M'boro. Bowl one year and regular season game the next. Meaning they got at least 1 gate a year. With money getting even tighter for the schools sounds like a great idea.

 

Would not suprise me if this does not get some serious talk from both sides.

Probably have already been talking.

Probably have already been talking.

 

Wow! That's sounds great! Lee County, VA would be a great third team. They have a great following. Great team and great band. I'm talking about a first class band! What would be an ideal team to play form TN? I like this idea alot!!

Wow! That's sounds great! Lee County, VA would be a great third team. They have a great following. Great team and great band. I'm talking about a first class band! What would be an ideal team to play form TN? I like this idea alot!!

 

I'm all for it. Sounds great would be a great rivalry, cawood had some good games with bell in the early 90's. And the middleschool teams have played some great games the last 4 or 5 years. While I'm speaking of middle school, pennington gap looks to be a regular on the middle school schedule. And I believe they are a feeder to Lee County. All of that makes for a good rivalry.

 

I'm all for playing the independent schools but seems like they only want to play when they feel like they have good teams and a chance to win. If they are down they don't want to play.

 

The only problem I can think of with playing schools in TN and VA is that it might take Coach Larkey a little longer to get to 300. Out of state wins don't count. But I'm sure he would rather play quality competition and focus on the year at hand rather than worry about 300.

 

The only problem I can think of with playing schools in TN and VA is that it might take Coach Larkey a little longer to get to 300. Out of state wins don't count. But I'm sure he would rather play quality competition and focus on the year at hand rather than worry about 300.

 

Out of state wins DO count, you may be confused where if you've ever coached out of state, then those wins don't count towards KY's all time record. Either way, I can guarantee that 300 wins isn't on his mind, besides that is quite a few years away if at all. A State Championship is want he wants for Harlan County, I'm sure.

 

 

:ylsuper::ylsuper::banana::banana::ylsuper::ylsuper:

  • Author

We would need someone other than Lee Co. Lee Co. is already on Harlan County's schedule.

  • Author

A state championship sounds great but we need to be patient with Coach Larkey and the Black Bears. It might take some time to get things the way he wants them.

Out of state wins DO count, you may be confused where if you've ever coached out of state, then those wins don't count towards KY's all time record. Either way, I can guarantee that 300 wins isn't on his mind, besides that is quite a few years away if at all. A State Championship is want he wants for Harlan County, I'm sure.

 

Had my wires crossed Thanks, typing and thinking at the same time gets confusing!

 

It will definetly be hard for him to get to 300 if we have trouble scheduling teams like they did this year.

 

No mistaking anything he is here to win and win it all.

You know I would like to see some of the good teams from around Knoxville come and play. I get to watch some of there games when I'm at the Lake and they look pretty good.

 

Alcoa is one that I can remember and isn't that were UK got a recruit from? Randall Cobb

We would need someone other than Lee Co. Lee Co. is already on Harlan County's schedule.

 

 

Isn't that just because they were finishing out Cawood's contract with them or are they scheduled next year also?

Isn't that just because they were finishing out Cawood's contract with them or are they scheduled next year also?

 

It would be nice to always have Lee on the shedule. I can remeber some good games at Cawood between the two. The crowd really got into those games. A lot of crowd participation.

 

To me there is just something about crossing state lines, it's kind of like you are playing for the whole state when you play someone from TN or VA.

  • Author

Mama Bear, it is true that they are finishing out the contract with Cawood's schedule but I agree with Uncle Rico that I hope that Lee Co. will continue to play Harlan County. For one, it is a good gate for both schools and two it is just about 20 minutes across the mountain and with gas prices the way they are it would benifit both school districts to try and keep this game going for a very long time.

Has the middle school CVC been disolved in Harlan? I know Bell dominated it for a few years and this past year they never played in it. Was they not invited or just didn't play in it. I've heard the Patriots claimed to be the CVC champs from past season. I've watched Bell and New Harlan play in these games and IMO these games are usually better than a high school game. The crowd is alway enormous.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.