Harlan County and Bell County fans.

I need an answer from the Bobcat nation from your friends here in Black Bear nation. Does Bell have an open date for next year for the first game? If so, I can really see this bowl actually coming true.

Last I talked to one of the coaches they still had 4 openings????? Harlan Co. was scheduled for the regular season finale in 09 and 2010.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks you need not to worry about Bell. They will play anyone in Tenn. or Va. Harlan Co. is the one that needs to step up to the plate and play a power house. Powell Va. is not a Powell house and will not play Bell, they have tried to schedule them for the past 3 years. The Super and everyone else in Harlan Co. better check with the Head Coach before trying to schedule games.

Folks you need not to worry about Bell. They will play anyone in Tenn. or Va. Harlan Co. is the one that needs to step up to the plate and play a power house. Powell Va. is not a Powell house and will not play Bell, they have tried to schedule them for the past 3 years. The Super and everyone else in Harlan Co. better check with the Head Coach before trying to schedule games.

You have a misunderstanding. Rest assured, there is only one captain driving our ship in Harlan County. What you have been reading is a bunch of fans wishing and hoping about games in the future. General Larkey runs our troops!! We are just a bunch of fans throwing out a bunch of "you know what might work" and "what if's". No worries here in Harlan, things are only gonna get better!! ;)

Edited by Mama Bear
spelling

I think you have it all wrong, maybe you have been in the trenches for too long! lol As Miss Bear already stated, Larkey is running our ship and nobody would pick up a game unless it was Larkey. We are just hungry fans talking about something that could be a positive for Harlan Co. football. I talked with Larkey last week and he has never been more happy with a community, school, and school system from the top to the bottom as he is in Harlan. He has full control and FULL SUPPORT OF EVERYONE. You might want to bark up another tree because that will not fly around here. Powell Va was just a suggestion but surely someone out there will play Bell. The way I see it is that you guys had a great bowl until Middlesboro bailed out and since the City isn't going to play Harlan Co. some thought it would be a good idea to join forces among Bell and Harlan. One thing is for sure, It really doesn't matter what you and I think because it will come down to Larkey and Dudley.

Finally, while most in Harlan and southeast KY respects Bell Co and understands they have a great program, speaking for myself I am not worried about Bell but I am focused on Black Bear Football.

Not to jump on bandwagon of jumping you trenches, but you say Harlan Co. needs to step it up. We have a new state of the art school and one of the best football coaches in the state laying a foundation for a good football team so I believe we are stepping it up! We are playing Letcher Co. Central not to sure if they are a powerhouse, but they did make a deep run in the playoffs last year, Breathitt is coming here also, and we would love to get into a series with Bell, I do believe Coach Larkey and Coach Hilton have discussed this already!

Any clue as to why the middle school wouldn't play Harlan Co.this year? And don't give me the you all kicked us out of your conference, they weren't in the conference last year when we came there!

Even though we might be rivals or soon to be rivals all anyone is stating is that we need to team up to work on getting quality competition to come play since most of the smaller independent schools have taken their balls (or lack there of) and went home.

I've wanted to see something happen like this for a long time.

Just thinking of a few matchups:

Harlan County vs. Powell Valley (VA)

Bell County vs. Morristown East (TN)

And if everyone could get along:

Middlesboro vs. Gate City (VA)

Harlan vs. Cumberland Gap (TN)

I think they should play two games with one VA team and one TN team facing Harlan or Bell. :thumb:

Guest Bluto
Had my wires crossed Thanks, typing and thinking at the same time gets confusing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you'll fit right in with BGP!! :thumb:

I thought this was about High school? Middle school means very little when it comes to High school success.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. In an earlier post someone mentioned Bell Co. didn't always have a middleschool team. Some of my friends from there and some other people I have talked with mention that even pee wee teams start out the basics of Coach Hiltons style of play. Plus I think that you are ahead of the game if you have really been coached well in middleschool. I think football knowledge plays a role in playing football, just like skill and the weight room.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. In an earlier post someone mentioned Bell Co. didn't always have a middleschool team. Some of my friends from there and some other people I have talked with mention that even pee wee teams start out the basics of Coach Hiltons style of play. Plus I think that you are ahead of the game if you have really been coached well in middle school. I think football knowledge plays a role in playing football, just like skill and the weight room.

Their was no little league until around 93-94 in Bell Co. They had the first middle school team in 89 according to my source that is a one of many unofficial Bell County Sports Historians. LOL

That is the problem lots of times the daddy's coaching the little league take care of theirs and run off some of the kids that would be good players in the future or worse yet don't coach them. Football is a sport in which you don't have to have a lot of experience to play it. Sure it helps if you do and was well coached. But it is not necessary by an means.

Someone earlier said they don't have bad habits if they never played and that is very true. Kind of lends itself to "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Just had a thought about nobody wanting to play Bell High. Maybe we could get a Dobyns-Bennett and or a Maryville to come and take turns playing Bell. If that didn't work we could always get Chat. Redbank to come on up for enough money. Just a thought?

I would love to see some of the good teams from around Knoxville come here and it really wouldn't be a bad trip for Bell or Harlan Co. to travel there! At least we could watch a good football game and eat someplace decent afterwards.

I would love to see some of the good teams from around Knoxville come here and it really wouldn't be a bad trip for Bell or Harlan Co. to travel there! At least we could watch a good football game and eat someplace decent afterwards.

Bell played Knoxville Central a few years ago and it was a very good game for a young Bell team. I know Bell talked to Alcoa a year ago but could not get anything worked out because those teams want traveling money to come up this way. Money which most county teams can't afford. And I don't think Bell wanted an 8th road game.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Their was no little league until around 93-94 in Bell Co. They had the first middle school team in 89 according to my source that is a one of many unofficial Bell County Sports Historians. LOL

That is the problem lots of times the daddy's coaching the little league take care of theirs and run off some of the kids that would be good players in the future or worse yet don't coach them. Football is a sport in which you don't have to have a lot of experience to play it. Sure it helps if you do and was well coached. But it is not necessary by an means.

Someone earlier said they don't have bad habits if they never played and that is very true. Kind of lends itself to "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

I really think a good feeder program is a must for success on the high school level. It can be done without one but those cases are very rare. Bell High was average to below average and that is being nice before 89. They now have them playing all the way down to the first year in school. They have a very good middle school program with both Freshmen and JV teams. They have been doing this for some time now and are gaining the benefits as of late. I think you have a good complaint about kids learning bad habits but IMHO football isn't the skill sport like basketball. Years of bad habits in the early grades from shooting a basketball are almost impossible to overcome. I see pre-5 graders learning these habits as local AAU teams and parents try to play 30, 40 and even 50 games between the seasons. It makes me wonder why in the world these kids shoot on 10 foot goals when its obvious they can't shoot it the correct way. Also, they almost always play with a ball that is to large but still the Moms and Dads have a hard time seeing the big picture. This causes nightmares for Junior High Coaches and even High school coaches because these habits you can't overcome. However, Football is a totally different beast since it isn't a skill sport to the effect of say basketball. You still need to teach good fundamentals but if this isn't the case the experience can and almost always overshadows the negatives in football. JMHO.