Yankees interested in C.C. Sabathia

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no Yankee fan but they never seem to get very far when they sign/trade for all these pitchers. (Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano,) Just to name a few.

I think C.C. will falter in New York if he is traded there.

I would expect them to be interested but I don't think they'll be willing to give up their front line prospects for what will probably amount to a half season rental. A long-term extension would be very risky--pitchers of C.C.'s ummmm "stature" can be a bigtime risk healthwise. He's also got quite a bit of mileage on the odometer for a 27 year old. He threw 256 innings last season including the playoffs and his ERA, WHIP and HRs Allowed are up noticably this season. I wouldn't want to give up front line prospects or have a 6 or 7 year contract invested in him.

I'm no Yankee fan but they never seem to get very far when they sign/trade for all these pitchers. (Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano,) Just to name a few.

I think C.C. will falter in New York if he is traded there.

None of the pitchers you mention were equal then to where CC is now.

None of the pitchers you mention were equal then to where CC is now.

Wrong....:rolleyes:

Just where is C.C. now? Because it looks like he is on the verge of having some clogged arteries due to an overweight issue, and is 4-8 on the season? How equal do these guys gotta be to match that?

Let's look at this: The last 2 seasons from each player mentioned and compare to the last 2 seasons by Sabathia and see how non-equal I guess they are..

Pavano- 2003: 12-13 4.30ERA, 133SO

Sabathia- 2006: 12-11, 3.22ERA, 172SO

Pavano- 2004: 18-8 3.00ERA, 139SO

Sabathia- 2007: 19-7 3.21ERA 209SO

While Sabathia won the strikeout battle they were pretty similar in wins and ERA.

Well actually I don't feel like typing all of this out now. But I'll tell you this. Randy Johnson, the year before he was traded to NY he was 16-14 with 290 strikeouts.

Jaret Wright had a pretty good year for the Braves before he signed with NY and completey faltered.

Yes these pitchers may not be "equal" as some categories but you better believe the season of or before they were with NY they were all about the same equality.

So to say that is pretty bad because we all know how NY has a knack for signing pitchers that had a previous good year. But C.C. is having a not so great year.

Wrong....:rolleyes:

Just where is C.C. now? Because it looks like he is on the verge of having some clogged arteries due to an overweight issue, and is 4-8 on the season? How equal do these guys gotta be to match that?

Let's look at this: The last 2 seasons from each player mentioned and compare to the last 2 seasons by Sabathia and see how non-equal I guess they are..

Pavano- 2003: 12-13 4.30ERA, 133SO

Sabathia- 2006: 12-11, 3.22ERA, 172SO

Pavano- 2004: 18-8 3.00ERA, 139SO

Sabathia- 2007: 19-7 3.21ERA 209SO

While Sabathia won the strikeout battle they were pretty similar in wins and ERA.

Well actually I don't feel like typing all of this out now. But I'll tell you this. Randy Johnson, the year before he was traded to NY he was 16-14 with 290 strikeouts.

Jaret Wright had a pretty good year for the Braves before he signed with NY and completey faltered.

Yes these pitchers may not be "equal" as some categories but you better believe the season of or before they were with NY they were all about the same equality.

So to say that is pretty bad because we all know how NY has a knack for signing pitchers that had a previous good year. But C.C. is having a not so great year.

Wins and losses are a meaningless stat when evaluating pitchers.

If you call 3.22 and 4.30 "pretty similar" ERAs then we'll just have to disagree.

The weight issue is a valid concern and the number of innings pitched is valid as well.

One man's opinion but I'd take CC today over any of those pitchers above at the time they became Yanks.

If you call 3.22 and 4.30 "pretty similar" ERAs then we'll just have to disagree.

The weight issue is a valid concern and the number of innings pitched is valid as well.

One man's opinion but I'd take CC today over any of those pitchers above at the time they became Yanks.

Then I guess we disagree on this matter.

One man's opinion but I'd take CC today over any of those pitchers above at the time they became Yanks.[/QUOTE]

That would be fine if they were signing him as a free agent but we're talking about trading for a player that will in all likelyhood explore the FA market this offseason. Besides, those 256 innings he threw last season, coupled with his conditioning trump the numbers that he put up last season. I don't know that you'll see the 2007 C.C. this season--if ever.

[

That would be fine if they were signing him as a free agent but we're talking about trading for a player that will in all likelyhood explore the FA market this offseason. Besides, those 256 innings he threw last season, coupled with his conditioning trump the numbers that he put up last season. I don't know that you'll see the 2007 C.C. this season--if ever.

Good points. I was looking at from strictly a talent and production standpoint. The FA issue is huge (like CC).