McCain's Oil Wrong

McCain was right. He does not know much about our economy. Fortunately for him, neither does Obama.

MCCAIN'S OIL WRONG

June 14, 2008 -- Who's writing John McCain's campaign speeches - Michael Moore?

You'd think so, from the over-the-top rhetoric McCain used on Thursday night at Federal Hall, ripping into the nation's oil companies.

"I am very angry, frankly, at the oil companies," said the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. "Not only because of the obscene profits they've made, but their failure to invest in alternative energy to help us eliminate our dependence on foreign oil."

McCain also wants a "thorough and complete investigation of [oil] speculators."

Geez, where to begin?

OK, why should oil companies be investing in "alternative energy?" They're in the oil business, not the windmill business, for Pete's sake.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seriously tempted to write HHSDad's name on the ballot in November. Seriously. I am to the point where I feel the GOP needs 4 years of Barack Obama so the sting of getting smacked around by an idiot shocks them back into running conservative candidates.

I am seriously tempted to write HHSDad's name on the ballot in November. Seriously. I am to the point where I feel the GOP needs 4 years of Barack Obama so the sting of getting smacked around by an idiot shocks them back into running conservative candidates.
Jimmy Carter's incompetence brought us Ronald Reagan. Maybe four years of Obama would bring us another conservative. I am just worried that the nation may not survive an Obama presidency with a heavy Democratic majority in the Senate and House.

Jimmy Carter's incompetence brought us Ronald Reagan. Maybe four years of Obama would bring us another conservative. I am just worried that the nation may not survive an Obama presidency with a heavy Democratic majority in the Senate and House.

I'm sure you meant Carter's incompetence led to Reagan's victory. However Reagan's big move to become president was in '76 when he took on the seated president in his own party (Ford) and lost a close primary season to him. The seeds for the Goldwater to Reagan Conservative movement were sown in '76 and Carter's debacle led them to a full harvest.

As to Barak. You are maybe right. After 4 years it might be that an old school conservative will rise up.

I'm sure you meant Carter's incompetence led to Reagan's victory. However Reagan's big move to become president was in '76 when he took on the seated president in his own party (Ford) and lost a close primary season to him. The seeds for the Goldwater to Reagan Conservative movement were sown in '76 and Carter's debacle led them to a full harvest.

As to Barak. You are maybe right. After 4 years it might be that an old school conservative will rise up.

I don't disagree - but Carter's four years created many of the "Reagan Democrats" to Reagan and resulted in his landslide win. Reagan received many votes from Democrats who disagreed with him on many issues but were just fed up with Carter.

This simple question posed by the author is one that should be asked more often.

OK, why should oil companies be investing in "alternative energy?" They're in the oil business, not the windmill business, for Pete's sake.

I agree that it would be good business for oil companies to diversify by transforming themselves into energy companies but should the federal government be forcing an oil company to morph into something different?

Oil company researchers are predisposed to find oil-based solutions to problems. Alternative fuel breakthroughs are more likely to come from entrepreneurs competing with oil companies. It is easier to think outside the box if you are already outside of the box.

I don't disagree - but Carter's four years created many of the "Reagan Democrats" to Reagan and resulted in his landslide win. Reagan received many votes from Democrats who disagreed with him on many issues but were just fed up with Carter.

:thumb: They became the "landslide margin."

Barack Obama's presidency would be paradise compared to George W. Bush's hideous time spent leading this country. Conservatives have had their chance and look at our situation. Do you really think another conservative is going to do better than Bush?

Didn't Bush have a heavy conservative majority in congress earlier in his term as President?

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

I couldn't agree more, and 4 years of an idiot is exactly what we'd have in Obama.

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

I couldn't agree more, and 4 years of an idiot is exactly what we'd have in Obama.

Well we have had 8 consecutive years of an "idiot" already...

However I think regardless of who gets elected in this election that will end. I do not consider Barack Obama or John McCain "idiots".

However I think regardless of who gets elected in this election that will end. I do not consider Barack Obama or John McCain "idiots".

I don't consider Bush an idiot either and would take him over Obama in a New York minute. I disagree about Obama, IMO, he's an idiot.

Barack Obama's presidency would be paradise compared to George W. Bush's hideous time spent leading this country. Conservatives have had their chance and look at our situation. Do you really think another conservative is going to do better than Bush?

Didn't Bush have a heavy conservative majority in congress earlier in his term as President?

Bush is not Reagan. Not many conservatives will defend the expansion of the bureacracy, the explosion in federal education spending, the embracing the man made global warming theology, or the open borders policies of the Bush administration.

Bush is conservative compared to McCain but neither give conservatives a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I believe that you are falling into the liberal trap of equating Republicans to conservatives. There has never been a conservative majority in the US Senate.

Bush is not Reagan. Not many conservatives will defend the expansion of the bureacracy, the explosion in federal education spending, the embracing the man made global warming theology, or the open borders policies of the Bush administration.

Bush is conservative compared to McCain but neither give conservatives a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Well then the conservative party has some thinking to do. Because I'm pretty sure they are the ones electing these guys as their candidates...

My question is...

What is wrong with the conservative party? They can't elect someone they like?

Please do not threadjack this thread into another Bush bashing exercise. Thanks.

Well then the conservative party has some thinking to do. Because I'm pretty sure they are the ones electing these guys as their candidates...

My question is...

What is wrong with the conservative party? They can't elect someone they like?

Maybe that would make a good thread but it has nothing to do with McCain's energy policy does it?