Did Dick Cheney Lie About China Drilling for Oil Off the Coast of Florida?

Or did he just "mis-speak"? :lol:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

In a speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Cheney said on Wednesday that waters in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, long off limits to oil companies, should be opened to drilling because China is already there pumping oil.

"Oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida," the vice president said. "We're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply."

He cited his source as columnist George Will, who last week wrote: "Drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."

Congressional Democrats pounced on the vice president's remarks and were backed up by independent energy experts, who called the assertion hyperbole at best and a falsehood at worst.

link

Apparently, he repeated what George Will had written. I think George needs to answer for this, usually he is spot on. I don't think Cheney should be blamed for repeating what someone of George Will's stature reports.

Apparently, he repeated what George Will had written. I think George needs to answer for this, usually he is spot on. I don't think Cheney should be blamed for repeating what someone of George Will's stature reports.

I agree with you MOSTLY, Hearsay. One addition - it's interesting to find out that China is NOT drilling off the coast of Cuba. Secondly, I would hope that our administration is NOT getting our information on Cuba from a columnist.

I heard some discussion on the car radio on the way home awhile ago. It was being said that although there is no actual drilling taking place yet, documents have been signed and equipment has been shipped from China to Cuba. Could this be true?

I heard some discussion on the car radio on the way home awhile ago. It was being said that although there is no actual drilling taking place yet, documents have been signed and equipment has been shipped from China to Cuba. Could this be true?

If I read the article correctly, the Chinese drilling is actually occurring on the Cuban mainland, not offshore.

I agree with you MOSTLY, Hearsay. One addition - it's interesting to find out that China is NOT drilling off the coast of Cuba. Secondly, I would hope that our administration is NOT getting our information on Cuba from a columnist.

I can certainly agree on the bolded part TB&G. :thumb:

(by the way, great avatar)

• 2 weeks later...

CNN and the New York Times reported negotiations between Cuba and China for offshore drilling rights back in 2006. Were they lying back then or just unintentionally misinforming their audience again?

The lengths the left goes to demonize Dick Cheney are flabbergasting. I am not convinced that our government is privy to the agreements that Chinese companies might or not have with the Cuban government or with the lessors of the drilling rights off Cuba. It is very possible that the Chinese companies have entered into joint ventures with countries that hold the leases on the oil reserves located off of the Keys.

In any event, I do not believe that anybody can say with certainty that Dick Cheney deliberately lied when he said that the Chinese are drilling in the waters off Florida.

China, Cuba reported in Gulf oil partnership

U.S. firms stand by, prohibited from bidding on contracts; lawmakers propose opening up U.S. coast for drilling.

May 9, 2006: 10:12 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Plans for foreign oil companies, some from India and China, to drill off the cost of Cuba are prompting calls from lawmakers to ease environmental restrictions that prohibit coastal drilling in most of the U.S., according to a report Tuesday.

At a time of rising soaring gasoline prices caused partly by a lack of supply, legislators are fuming that Cuba is opening up its continental shelf for oil and gas exploration while most of the U.S. continental shelf outside the Gulf of Mexico, which extends 200 miles from shore, has been off limits for drilling since the early 1980s, the New York Times reported.

Firms from China and India will be drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba, but U.S. companies are prohibited from bidding on the contracts, according to a recent report.

Firms from China and India will be drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba, but U.S. companies are prohibited from bidding on the contracts, according to a recent report.

Adding insult to injury, the Times said U.S. firms were invited to bid on the Cuban contracts, but were barred by the U.S. government due to the country's longstanding economic embargo of communist Cuba.

CNN and the New York Times reported negotiations between Cuba and China for offshore drilling rights back in 2006. Were they lying back then or just unintentionally misinforming their audience again?

The lengths the left goes to demonize Dick Cheney are flabbergasting. I am not convinced that our government is privy to the agreements that Chinese companies might or not have with the Cuban government or with the lessors of the drilling rights off Cuba. It is very possible that the Chinese companies have entered into joint ventures with countries that hold the leases on the oil reserves located off of the Keys.

In any event, I do not believe that anybody can say with certainty that Dick Cheney deliberately lied when he said that the Chinese are drilling in the waters off Florida.

Who is saying that he deliberately lied? While obviously we are not "privy" to the negotiations mentioned, it is disturbing that our VP is getting his information from a newspaper columnist, as opposed to actual intelligence sources. In the end with this one, however, no harm done.

Who is saying that he deliberately lied?
You are kidding, I hope. The implication of this thread is that he lied (note the laughing smiley in the first line).

While obviously we are not "privy" to the negotiations mentioned, it is disturbing that our VP is getting his information from a newspaper columnist, as opposed to actual intelligence sources. In the end with this one, however, no harm done.
How do you know that Cheney's information came from a newspaper columnist? It is possible that Cheney's comment was a slip of the tongue based on classified intelligence. China has been forging partnerships around the world and in South America in particular to secure its oil supply. Maybe Cheney knows something that we do not and is not at liberty to say how he knows.

The fact that Cuban oil leases were signed with non-Chinese companies does not mean that the Chinese are not participating in some capacity in the drilling. If that is the case, both Cuba and China would probably prefer that the Chinese role not be a matter of public record. Joint ventures are very common in drilling and mining ventures so such speculation is not far fetched.

You are kidding, I hope. The implication of this thread is that he lied (note the laughing smiley in the first line).

How do you know that Cheney's information came from a newspaper columnist? It is possible that Cheney's comment was a slip of the tongue based on classified intelligence. China has been forging partnerships around the world and in South America in particular to secure its oil supply. Maybe Cheney knows something that we do not and is not at liberty to say how he knows.

The fact that Cuban oil leases were signed with non-Chinese companies does not mean that the Chinese are not participating in some capacity in the drilling. If that is the case, both Cuba and China would probably prefer that the Chinese role not be a matter of public record. Joint ventures are very common in drilling and mining ventures so such speculation is not far fetched.

You'll have to ask HB his intent with the post. I did not take it that he was accusing the VP of lying, just being mis-informed.

As to how I know that Cheney's information came from a columnist, isnt' that what the article said?

Or did he just "mis-speak"? :lol:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

In a speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Cheney said on Wednesday that waters in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, long off limits to oil companies, should be opened to drilling because China is already there pumping oil.

"Oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida," the vice president said. "We're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply."

He cited his source as columnist George Will, who last week wrote: "Drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."

Congressional Democrats pounced on the vice president's remarks and were backed up by independent energy experts, who called the assertion hyperbole at best and a falsehood at worst.

link

I believe that the full article mentions that the Chinese are currently drilling on the Cuban mainland, too.

You'll have to ask HB his intent with the post. I did not take it that he was accusing the VP of lying, just being mis-informed.

As to how I know that Cheney's information came from a columnist, isnt' that what the article said?

I believe that the full article mentions that the Chinese are currently drilling on the Cuban mainland, too.

Yes, that is what the article says but as I said, none of us in in the position to know whether Will's column was the sole source of his information and IMO, that is unlikely. My point is that even if the Chinese are not the lessees of the reserves 60 miles off of Floriday, that does not necessarily mean that they will not be involved in exploiting those reserves.

Unlike our own government, China has been very actively securing access to global oil reserves for the future benefit of its citizens. Congress could learn a thing or two by studying China's aggressive energy policy.

Yes, that is what the article says but as I said, none of us in in the position to know whether Will's column was the sole source of his information and IMO, that is unlikely. My point is that even if the Chinese are not the lessees of the reserves 60 miles off of Floriday, that does not necessarily mean that they will not be involved in exploiting those reserves.

Unlike our own government, China has been very actively securing access to global oil reserves for the future benefit of its citizens. Congress could learn a thing or two by studying China's aggressive energy policy.

Ok...I will take Cheney at his word on what he said. But, if you are correct...wouldn't that then mean...that he is lying? (about where he got the info)

So we want to be like China now? A marxist, dictatorial country that kills it's own? I'm really :confused: