Now that it's over, thoughts on the state track meet?

What did you think of the venue?

Positives: I liked the facility, big parking garage across the street (although it was $3.00 that wasn't spent at UK or at Dunbar HS). Well organized, actually ran ahead of schedule for the most part. Having the staging area on the field hockey field (I guess that's what it was, maybe it was soccer?) seemed to work well.

Negatives: Awards "platform" in the corner instead of the center, horizontal jumps on the other side of the stadium. And I think that the scoreboard at UK showed results by lanes almost immediately; not the case at UL. Biggest peeve - nothing indicating performances in the field events.

I agree with all of your statements regarding the facilities. The surface and and jumping venues were superb and the meet was certainly very well run.

On the negative side I will add that the shot and discus were done off site and at different times than the meet. The seating capacity was barely sufficient and there was not much room for the spectators to walk around without being in someone's way. As you stated, to see the horizontal jumps you needed to leave the facility and walk around the outside of the track.

I would summarize that the facility was superior for the athletes but not so for the spectators.

For me it was alot betther than I thought it would be. The parking was great, I walked across the street at paid $3. Where I was setting, the bleachers where not full and there was plenty of room for more people.

1. My beef's are that the medal platform should have been in the middle, on the soccer field for everyone to see. Just like at Dunbar last year.

2. My son was not a thrower, but I would have been upset with the location of those events. Our thrower had to be driven by the parents earlier in the day. They didn't even get to ride with the team.

3. With the hot sun for the AA event, they took way to much time giving the awards out. Some of the runners had other events to do. I noticed that in the 1600 they waited for quite some time beofore they handed out the medals. 3-4 of the kids left to get out of the sun, to get ready for the 800 or 3200, and was not around when they announced the awards.

What did you think of the venue?

Positives: I liked the facility, big parking garage across the street (although it was $3.00 that wasn't spent at UK or at Dunbar HS). Well organized, actually ran ahead of schedule for the most part. Having the staging area on the field hockey field (I guess that's what it was, maybe it was soccer?) seemed to work well.

Negatives: Awards "platform" in the corner instead of the center, horizontal jumps on the other side of the stadium. And I think that the scoreboard at UK showed results by lanes almost immediately; not the case at UL. Biggest peeve - nothing indicating performances in the field events.

Bolded above ^ I wasn't there, but FYI - if you are referring to the turf field by McDonalds, then that is the field hockey field. If referring to the field by the track facilites, then that is the soccer field.

Dumb idea by the UofL staff to treat the field one day before the state meet. It was a major inconvenience for fans, obviously, since they didn't have the medal platform in the center of the field where folks expect it to be. It also was a problem for the athletes, staff and media, making it difficult to get from one event (and to the medal platform) to another.

Having the throws elsewhere was a major pain for everybody. Period. May have been worst for the throwers, who probably had next to no one there to see them perform.

For me, the location was great. Easy-on, easy-off from the expressway. Overall, however, I prefer Dunbar. Had there not been construction going on at UofL to go with the infield issues, I may change my assessment.

Although my son competed in the Iindiana state games I had a cousin to compete there in Kentucky. The boys time really amaze me, I don't think any of your winners would have placed here in Indiana. I debated this with the Hopkinsville coach and he doesn't have an answer but, I often wonder why kids there in Kentucky have much slower times. I'm definitely not ragging on my state, when I ran in Kentucky I thought I was flying but once I came accross the border i saw a big difference. My son jumped 6'5" in the high jump and didn't make it out of region (he has a team mate who jumps 6'11") 20'10" didn't make it in the long jump either. The 100M was won in 10.47 (10.9 didn't medal) and the 400M 47.62, 50.22 didnt place in the top 9. Simply amazes me, hopefully someone will help me out

There are several reasons. One is that Indiana is flatter, allowing the runners to run with less friction, giving them better times. In Kentucky the mountainous terrain creates more resistance, slowing times.

Two, the thinner air in Indiana allows for better lift while jumping and gives better elevation. The thicker air in Kentucky causes more down force, decreasing lift.

Seriously, I don't know, but is there a difference in the timing method from the two states?

These things come and go. Last year, there was a 50-foot triple jumper in the KY state meet. Mason County had a 194'11" discus thrower in 2003; 65' in the shot.

Sometimes conditions are not conducive to great sprint speeds. A headwind, a spongy surface, etc.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if, as a general rule, most of the time a state with 50% more high school students would have somewhat better results than a state with 50% fewer students.

There are several reasons. One is that Indiana is flatter, allowing the runners to run with less friction, giving them better times. In Kentucky the mountainous terrain creates more resistance, slowing times.

Two, the thinner air in Indiana allows for better lift while jumping and gives better elevation. The thicker air in Kentucky causes more down force, decreasing lift.

Seriously, I don't know, but is there a difference in the timing method from the two states?

I am a little confused with you comment on the air. The higher the elevation, the easier it is to jump, just asked Bob Beamon.

Dumb idea by the UofL staff to treat the field one day before the state meet. It was a major inconvenience for fans, obviously, since they didn't have the medal platform in the center of the field where folks expect it to be. It also was a problem for the athletes, staff and media, making it difficult to get from one event (and to the medal platform) to another.

Having the throws elsewhere was a major pain for everybody. Period. May have been worst for the throwers, who probably had next to no one there to see them perform.

For me, the location was great. Easy-on, easy-off from the expressway. Overall, however, I prefer Dunbar. Had there not been construction going on at UofL to go with the infield issues, I may change my assessment.

Jim .. you are right on about the field. Not to mention the fact that they had all of the sponsorship signs nearly on top of the track. That caused some issues in the AAA boys 3200 meter relay.

As far as the throws go .. you are off base. There were more people actually at the throws venue (to just watch the throws) than any other time in my memory. The major issue that the coaches didn't like was that it was held at a different time than the meet for each class. But, with that said, that is also the same reason why there were more people there than normal.

As far as Indiana versus Kentucky--we are talking about a population issue. For the same reason why football, basketball and every other sport is usually better around larger cities ... track is better in Indiana due to talent that they have to draw from.

As far as Dunbar goes ... from a coaches standpoint ... it should never hold a state championship. It is a high school facility that does not give the athletes a true feeling that they are completing for a state championship. The constant theme from Louisville amongst the runners/jumpers/throws .... "the atmosphere was electric" ... that has been missing at Dunbar. It will be interesting to see if the state championship ever makes it back to UK. However--I get the feeling that making the state championship all finals (no more prelims) is geared towards rotating it around to uncentralized locations as far out as Western (which isn't a big deal when you consider the fact that the Western schools have to travel to Louisville or Lexington). Just don't take me back to a high school stadium--whether it be Dunbar or somewhere else.

On KY vs IN, I saw a stat somewhere (don't feel like looking for it) and basically there were about 4 times the number of high schools in Indiana, so I assume it's a population thing at that point. I'm sure Florida looks at In and wonders why they are so slow.....

Bottom line, everyone needs to just do their best, no matter where they are.

Florida has absolutely nothing to do with this, I'm talking neighboring states that get equal weather and have about the same time to train outdoors. Everyday barring a Hurricane is a good day to train in Florida. Why you are at it, look at the Indiana times and look at the Florida highschool winners and see if you still think this way. Several Indiana atlethes would have won or placed in several events while very few Kentucky atlethes who won events would not have placed here in Indiana. It was not my intent to start an argument, I'm from Kentucky and competed there in three sports as a kid, I just wanted to know what others thought.

Jim .. you are right on about the field. Not to mention the fact that they had all of the sponsorship signs nearly on top of the track. That caused some issues in the AAA boys 3200 meter relay.

As far as the throws go .. you are off base. There were more people actually at the throws venue (to just watch the throws) than any other time in my memory. The major issue that the coaches didn't like was that it was held at a different time than the meet for each class. But, with that said, that is also the same reason why there were more people there than normal.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I based my statement on the fact that it was extremely inconvenient for me, and a few coaches had mentioned it was a logistical problem for them as well.

Florida has absolutely nothing to do with this, I'm talking neighboring states that get equal weather and have about the same time to train outdoors. Everyday barring a Hurricane is a good day to train in Florida. Why you are at it, look at the Indiana times and look at the Florida highschool winners and see if you still think this way. Several Indiana atlethes would have won or placed in several events while very few Kentucky atlethes who won events would not have placed here in Indiana. It was not my intent to start an argument, I'm from Kentucky and competed there in three sports as a kid, I just wanted to know what others thought.

I look at it the same way as I look at the Ky-Ind HS hoops series, which Indiana dominates in both boys and girls. Just a deeper talent pool to pick from because of population. Kentucky will have its up years where a top-flite talent may be able to win their event in three dozen states. But more often than not, with a thin talent pool, Ky's gonna lag behind our more heavily populated states.