Makers of LL metal bats being sued

ladiesbballcoach

Are metal bats unsafe for youth baseball?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are metal bats unsafe for youth baseball?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

WAYNE, N.J. — A New Jersey couple, whose son was struck in the chest with a line drive, is planning to sue the maker of a metal baseball bat used in the game.

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.

The family contends metal baseball bats are inherently unsafe for youth games because the ball comes off them much faster than from wooden bats. The lawsuit will also be filed against Little League Baseball and a sporting goods chain that sold the bat.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they'll win by suing the makers of the bats. That's like suing the people who make alcohol because someone was killed by a drunk driver. If you are going to sue someone then it should be the league board for allowing those bats to be used. Some bad advice from their lawyer if he said this was a good idea.

I don't think they'll win by suing the makers of the bats. That's like suing the people who make alcohol because someone was killed by a drunk driver. If you are going to sue someone then it should be the league board for allowing those bats to be used. Some bad advice from their lawyer if he said this was a good idea.

BArs have been find at fault and sued and lost when they served too much to a drunk driver.

Yes, they are. They're suing Hillerich and Bradsby, who are the makers of the Louisville Slugger bats, and the bat that was used to hit the ball that hurt the kids.

It's big news here in Louisville, home of Hillerich & Bradsby and the Louisville Slugger.

^ But with these bats, there is no rule saying little leagues can't use the bats. Therefore when leaguese go through them to purchase the bats, they have no reason not to sell to them.

Accept when a league allows them to be used, it sends a message to the rest of the teams that if you want to be competitive in this league then you are going to have to use metal bats.

Accept when a league allows them to be used, it sends a message to the rest of the teams that if you want to be competitive in this league then you are going to have to use metal bats.

But if there is NO RULE AGAINST IT, then I don't see how they could be sued for it. IMO the wrong people are being sued. It should be the leagues for allowing the use of the bats.

I played tee-ball, minor league, little league and senior league baseball and we never had anything like this happen. We ALL used metal bats.

To me, this sounds like a freak accident that, while unfortunate, is not something to go overboard about.

Yes, maybe wooden bats will hit slower or shorter, but they can also break and splinter which could potentially cause damage as well.

Like a lot of you, I don't think they should be suing the makers of the bat.

.........and when they go back to wooden bats, Louisville Slugger once again will be sued because the bats were maple instead of ash.

Truly, I'm sorry that happened to their son, so I don't want to sound insensitive. And if anything came out of it, a guard was invented as well.

600_Heart-Gard.jpg

Now if the parents are getting a profit from the sale of these, I don't know how much I agree with the suit either. Not that I'm opposed to the invention or making a profit from it, just saying....