Date for hiring of new Russell coach?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asst. Coaches are Sean Horne. Gary Morris. Joe Bryan. Not exactly top quality experienced group for a team that needs all the help it can get. If they win 8 games next year. Kidwell is coach of the year.

Well they sure didn't win 8 games this year , so I don't think they have much to lose ! I don't know why you think these guys are not top quality help ? I know them all and I would welcome their help. If they can out run the Na-sayers they will do just fine. :thumb:

Asst. Coaches are Sean Horne. Gary Morris. Joe Bryan. Not exactly top quality experienced group for a team that needs all the help it can get. If they win 8 games next year. Kidwell is coach of the year.

Well they sure didn't win 8 games this year , so I don't think they have much to lose ! I don't know why you think these guys are not top quality help ? I know them all and I would welcome their help. If they can out run the Na-sayers they will do just fine. :thumb:

Looks like you don't have to look very far.

I am glad Merle is finally getting a shot as the boys coach ! I can't think of anyone available that would be a better choice. I just hope everything goes well for him and the team. They also need to give him time to "rebuild" the program and develope a few young kids. I would hate to see him be a "two or three and out" coach. Parents need to know up front that Merle calls the shots and support him. Given a fair shot, he will have a solid program. Good luck Merle.:devil:

delete

If Kidwell is for sure the coach, who will his staff be? And is this 100% offiicial? We he bring the guys from the girls team or select others or keep Dodd's staff? Does anyone have any info for asst's?

I would say that he would bring his coaches with him. I wouldn't look for him to bring any of Dodd's staff, although I think he should bring Todd Parsley with him. He is a great coach and he knows how to teach post players. He played college ball and has a great basketball mind. I'd say he would bring maybe Bill Renzy, Joe Bryan, Sean Horne with him also. JMO!

I know the coach is hired by the site based council, and I've heard that there is not a consensus there yet on who the new coach should be. You have to remember that parents (sometimes with agendas, sometimes not) are included on this council. This is keeping it from being cut and dried.

Also, if you look at the hiring history of the sports coaches (head coaches), Russell has a HORRIBLE track record of hiring its own. They have constantly overlooked those Russell employees who have either put in their time being assistant coaches and head coaches of minor sports for people from "somewhere else". Not that this is always bad, but it is the case. There is a mentality at Russell and a lot of other places that when looking for a head coach, high quality coaches come from other places, never from within. I guess it's the whole "comfortable" scenario. They all know Merle Kidwell at Russell, his good, bad, and ugly. Joe Blow from Ironton or some college comes in for an interview and they know NOTHING about him. He spins all the bells and whistles for the interviewing committee, shows them the shiny black boxes and all of a sudden, he looks GREAT! They don't know his bad and ugly, so they naively think they are more qualified than the inside people. Look back at the following (and if I forget a few, please forgive me or correct me):

Basketball

1. Hired Steve Dodd (from outside), passed over Merle Kidwell and Jim Conway, both Russell people and assistants. Kidwell ended up with the girls job and Conway left to become head coach in Laurel County.

2. Larry Stamper (from outside the district)

3. Sam Sparks (from outside the district)

Football

1. Hired Ivan McGlone (from outside the district)

2. Before him, I have no idea

Anyway, I may be totally off base, but because of the reasons I stated above, I am now believing that Merle Kidwell will not be the next head coach at Russell. I hope I am wrong.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't think it had anything to do with where anyone was from. If the best candidate is from Russell or from Montana, it doesn't much matter to them. I'd say that Dodd was pretty successful while at Russell and I think McGlone has had some success also. I'd have to check on that but I think he's done pretty well while at Russell.:rolleyes: I don't think that all this add up to a "horrible history" of hiring coaches and if they hire Merle then that will just prove that it doesn't matter to them where a person is from. The best candidate is the best candidate no matter where he or she is from. One more thing, when McGlone finally does step down as the football coach, I'd bet the farm that Russell's next coach is wearing maroon and gold already.

I am glad Merle is finally getting a shot as the boys coach ! I can't think of anyone available that would be a better choice. I just hope everything goes well for him and the team. They also need to give him time to "rebuild" the program and develope a few young kids. I would hate to see him be a "two or three and out" coach. Parents need to know up front that Merle calls the shots and support him. Given a fair shot, he will have a solid program. Good luck Merle.:devil:

Great Post!

I didn't say they weren't quality people just not experienced varsity coaches. Except for Bryan and if you saw him coach the jv girls last year you question that as well. Horne was a decent player but that doesn't mean you can coach.