Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Williamsburg 2008/2009

Featured Replies

It really doesn’t matter what we are trying to get across to the coaches on this thread. Our opinions are passed off as coming from disgruntled parents or fans trying to be coaches. What does everyone want to hear? That there is nothing that needs to be done to improve the team? That everything is going fine? That is not true! Williamsburg is coming off of 4 losing seasons in a row and number 5 is coming up if some of the problems addressed in previous threads are not fixed. We can’t all be wrong.

 

I understand what your saying Phinneaus, but its time I come clean. I AM a parent of one of these young men. I have seen their names praised in one post and then torn to shreds in another. My son plays three sports at Williamsburg. I have seen him go from one practice to another only time to change is soaked t-shirt and shorts....trying to give a 100% to each. When I read comments on here like he really needs to work harder in the off season my question is...exactly when is HIS off season??? He is not the only player that does this. We are from a small school and that is what is demanded from our athletes in order for us to compete with other schools year after year. I know our basketball program is down, but I do see our players working harder to try to improve the team. I just wished people would take into consideration these players and their ages before making their comments.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM a parent of one of these young men. I have seen their names praised in one post and then torn to shreds in another.
Just for the record, disparaging comments about high school athletes are specifically prohibited by BGP Rule #2:

 

No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, or school. Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" is prohibited in the high school forums. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule. If you spot what you believe to be a violation that needs to be addressed, please use the "Report Bad Post" button, or send a message to a moderator.

 

If you notice anyone violating this, or any other rule, please report the post right away. :thumb:

I understand what your saying Phinneaus, but its time I come clean. I AM a parent of one of these young men. I have seen their names praised in one post and then torn to shreds in another. My son plays three sports at Williamsburg. I have seen him go from one practice to another only time to change is soaked t-shirt and shorts....trying to give a 100% to each. When I read comments on here like he really needs to work harder in the off season my question is...exactly when is HIS off season??? He is not the only player that does this. We are from a small school and that is what is demanded from our athletes in order for us to compete with other schools year after year. I know our basketball program is down, but I do see our players working harder to try to improve the team. I just wished people would take into consideration these players and their ages before making their comments.

 

You make some good points....................it's very difficult for a school the size of Williamsburg to excel in several different sports due to sheer numbers. Some high school sports teams are playing, practicing or conditioning virtually year round, so athlete sharing has become very difficult at times.

I understand what your saying Phinneaus, but its time I come clean. I AM a parent of one of these young men. I have seen their names praised in one post and then torn to shreds in another. My son plays three sports at Williamsburg. I have seen him go from one practice to another only time to change is soaked t-shirt and shorts....trying to give a 100% to each. When I read comments on here like he really needs to work harder in the off season my question is...exactly when is HIS off season??? He is not the only player that does this. We are from a small school and that is what is demanded from our athletes in order for us to compete with other schools year after year. I know our basketball program is down, but I do see our players working harder to try to improve the team. I just wished people would take into consideration these players and their ages before making their comments.

You are exactly right in what you are saying. My comments were not directed at the players. I have a great deal of respect for these kids especially for the ones that you described in your post. That is why it is so frustrating sometimes to watch the games.

If the kids are working as hard as they can and playing three sports what more can you expect from them? Sounds like the Jackets may need a little off season work which is not being accomplished since their numbers are so low and the kids are wanting to play numerous sports. Cunningham seems to be a one sport guy, so perhaps his extra work is what allows him a little more freedom from the coach. I will say this. I watched Cunningham play in the 13th region all star game a few weeks ago at Knox Central and he played extremely well. I would say he had about 30 points and appeared to be one of the best players on the floor. Of course, he was playing with four other really good players and that can make a good player look even better when those around him understand how to play the game. My point is there is no perfect situation for the Jackets. Small school with limited numbers and a program that was not playing during Christmas Breaks or during the summers. Jackets are still behind most teams in the area. Coaches can only do so much with what they have and to be honest I do not think the talent level is near as high as some people think.

Well said Bubba.

Does the 8th grade QB (Barton) play basketball? I assume he would be good on the hardwood too.

Williamsburg plays one of the weakest schedules in the state and still can't beat many of them. Isnt that why they fired the last coach, because he watered it down? That doesnt seem fair.

Btw, W-burg's play by play radio man is an A-1 guy.

Coachi - no, that's not why the last coach was let go. W'burg SHOULD be beating more teams than they are. They do have talent. Cunningham and Teague both have potential and played well at the all-star game this summer. Teague is underutilized - % wise he scores most of the time he gets the ball, he just needs to get his teammates to share a little love with the ball and make a more dominant stand in the paint. I'm a 'burg fan and have been for years, but they're not living up to what they should be doing. They have more potential than what they are being coached to.

From what I saw at Lynn Camp games last year the #1 thing the Yellow Jackets need to improve is their defense. I saw very little effort on defense. If they could step up the intensity on defense I think they could compete with some other teams.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #13

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.