Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Williamsburg 2008/2009

Featured Replies

The bottom line is this — what did Gene Hackman do in the movie Hoosiers when the others who tried to give him advice when he didn't need it?

He closed the practices and did what he needed to do to win.

He was the coach and that was his team.

Alas — same with Robinson.

He's the coach, he will improve this team. Do you think he wants to lose?

I don't think so.

He was hired to coach and use his ideas and philospohies.

He's the coach, leave him be.

As for me, once I got my foot in the door, I had no one show me the ropes. I did what I did and went from there.

As for me being at a Williamsburg practice ... never have.

 

 

 

If you want to talk movies then look at the movie the Pistol, The coach would not play Pete Maravich because he was a young skinny 8th grader,

but later did and won - with his own son (The Coaches) quitting the team.

 

I am not saying there are any Pistols or great players, out for Williamsburg,

but a movie is a movie.

 

REAL SITUATION: This will make some people mad, but life goes on.

Williamsburg is not committed to getting better in Basketball, that is obvious,

I have watched this team loose over and over and make no corrections. I have seen the coach turn his back while getting beat and go stand at the water cooler with the game going on, I have seen him sit down and quit coaching long before the end of the game with his head in his hands.

He was put into a position way before he was ready, He does not understand the X's and O's of the game YET. That is not his fault.

Everyone says that it will get better I do not see this, Last year was worse than the year before!

As far as the kids are concerned if a kid isnt happy he shouldnt play, but I

believe that a coach needs to have a relationship with each player and work to keep players on his team, (because these are kids we are talking about)

If a kid is a disruption that is a different story.

 

However the kids mentioned above are all good student athletes with no history of problems.

 

EVERYONE CAN HOPE THAT THIS COMMUNITY CAN GET TOGETHER AND START A BASKETBALL PROGRAM!!!

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that there are apparently an abundance of coaches in Williamsburg. Maybe the administration at Williamsburg should open the position up to some of the parents. It seems as though they have the whole situation figured out.

 

As for the rest of the Bluegrass prep nation that actually wants to talk basketball instead of bashing a coach, I believe that Williamsburg IMPROVED in coach Robinson's second tenure as coach. Their record may not be indicitive of such a statement, but they played several teams very close. They will continue to improve and be very surprising when December rolls around. Williamsburg needs to continue developing their younger talent, and find a few more players that are willing to buy into Coach Robinson's style of play. I think that he found a very good role player in the Terry kid. As long as these players continue to improve, I believe that they will be much better.

I believe that Williamsburg IMPROVED in coach Robinson's second tenure as coach. Their record may not be indicitive of such a statement, but they played several teams very close. They will continue to improve and be very surprising when December rolls around. Williamsburg needs to continue developing their younger talent, and find a few more players that are willing to buy into Coach Robinson's style of play. I think that he found a very good role player in the Terry kid. As long as these players continue to improve, I believe that they will be much better.
These are the kind of constructive comments that were requested when this thread was begun. Let's please keep in mind that this thread is not for coach bashing.

As Williamsburg's guard play continues to improve, so will the Jackets. They will have a hard time in the 50th district, but should be competitive with the majority of 13th region teams.

Last years team had no seniors. The kids being a year older will help a bunch. Pettit, Teague, Cunningham, Tayler, Fleenor, and Terry are all capable players. There are several overs who can and do help. I expect them to be much improved but the 50th is a tough place for a small school to make their bones. They need to beat the tread off the ball all summer if they expect much improvement.

I think that for a few of us our frustration has come across as “coach bashing”. I can only speak for myself when I say that was not my intention and I extend an apology to Coach Robinson. Maybe I can more tactfully word what I feel should be done to help improve the team coming into the 2008/2009 season.

Cunningham is an excellent shooter, especially when he is open enough to get off a set shot. I think that when he is on his game and his shoots are falling that the team should feed him the ball. But when an opponent is guarding him heavily, and this will happen a lot during the upcoming season because of his success last year, he needs to learn to pass the ball inside to Teague, Pettit, or to another teammate who has a better shot. Coach Robinson has the #1 and #8 scorers in the Region on his team. An opposing team cannot heavily guard both of them at the same time. One or the other should always be open. If you throw Pettit and Taylor into the mix then that gives 2 strong outside shooters and two big, strong inside shooters. Coach needs to teach his players to look and see who has the best open shot and pass the ball to that person. Winning is a team effort. I also think that team chemistry is very important. I think that my point about team dynamics is valid if you consider the players that the team lost last year. Frustration led to good role players leaving the team. It caused the bench to be very shallow towards the end of the year. Losing players was passed off because of those who left the team and was accepted because they were only role players. Could you imagine the effect it would have had on the team had Teague walked away? I think Williamsburg has a great group of players and I wish them and Coach Robinson every success next season. Again, I apologize for my harsh comments earlier. I think that it is time for me to move on. Maybe I’ll start my own community team somewhere.

For Williamsburg to improve some obvious things has to occur.

 

Teague- Has to get stronger and be more of a factor defensively

 

Taylor- Has to become willing to go to the basket more to collapse the defense

 

Petite- Has to get stronger and stay out of foul trouble. It will take a lot of work from petite during the off season.

 

Cunningham- will have to become a tougher defender and be willing to become a smarter basketball player.

 

Terry- has got to put the work in to become a factor during the off season

 

 

The whole team- needs to become a lot tougher and willing to defend. Unless the team can play harder and tougher than they currently do, it is very hard for them to beat a team that is more talented, which most teams are. If you can be tough and play defense than you can sometimes beat teams you shouldn't. I would look from increased playing time for Lowery and Fleenor because of the effort they give consistently.Right now Williamsburg is a team that is soft.

For Williamsburg to improve some obvious things has to occur.

 

Teague- Has to get stronger and be more of a factor defensively

 

Taylor- Has to become willing to go to the basket more to collapse the defense

 

Petite- Has to get stronger and stay out of foul trouble. It will take a lot of work from petite during the off season.

 

Cunningham- will have to become a tougher defender and be willing to become a smarter basketball player.

 

Terry- has got to put the work in to become a factor during the off season

 

 

The whole team- needs to become a lot tougher and willing to defend. Unless the team can play harder and tougher than they currently do, it is very hard for them to beat a team that is more talented, which most teams are. If you can be tough and play defense than you can sometimes beat teams you shouldn't. I would look from increased playing time for Lowery and Fleenor because of the effort they give consistently.Right now Williamsburg is a team that is soft.

 

Everybody is a critic.

Everybody is a critic.

 

I am not trying to be critical, I am being realsitic. Anyway is that not what the thread is for.

Williamsburg has some nice talent and will be a nice team in time. They probably won't be district or region contenders but they will be competative. Patrick knows the game and is a good coach. Yes, I think he wasn't that ready when he got the job but considering the situation with Rick being fired abruptly, you can't argue. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take a look at Corbin. Coach Pietrowski got the job at a very young age and was criticized greatly. I even second guessed him. Myself and others didn't look at the big picture and realize you must crawl before you walk. Once Patrick gets through the learning curve, there will be a lot of happy Jacket fans.

Williamsburg has some nice talent and will be a nice team in time. They probably won't be district or region contenders but they will be competative. Patrick knows the game and is a good coach. Yes, I think he wasn't that ready when he got the job but considering the situation with Rick being fired abruptly, you can't argue. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take a look at Corbin. Coach Pietrowski got the job at a very young age and was criticized greatly. I even second guessed him. Myself and others didn't look at the big picture and realize you must crawl before you walk. Once Patrick gets through the learning curve, there will be a lot of happy Jacket fans.

 

Can anyone really please the Jacket fans? They had Rich Prewitt and Coach West. Neither could satisfy the multitudes. Coach Robinson is a Jacket and they best get behind him and take the good with the bad.

Can anyone really please the Jacket fans? They had Rich Prewitt and Coach West. Neither could satisfy the multitudes. Coach Robinson is a Jacket and they best get behind him and take the good with the bad.

 

Great post Bubba, Coach Robinson is the coach and Jacket fans need to get behind him...

Great post Bubba, Coach Robinson is the coach and Jacket fans need to get behind him...

 

:ylsuper::ylsuper:

Let me first start off by saying I'm not a parent or trying to be a coach. I'm only listing the things I saw last year that will need to be taken care of if W'burg hopes to improve in 2008/2009.

 

In order for W'burg to improve in 2008/2009 there will need to be a total transformation in the way of thinking by the players, as well as the coaching staff. After watching many games last year, it became very apparent that there was no excitement displayed by the players, coaches, or the fans. Losing has become an accepted outcome by pretty much the whole W'burg support group. It seems as though if they play a team close, everyone thinks this is a victory or at least a moral victory. Until losing is no longer accepted, I'm afraid things aren't going to change.

 

The selfish play will need to be taken care of in order to improve. If players are selfish, do not play them. If players pout on the court, do not play them, If players can't control their anger or at least turn their anger into something positive on the court, do not play them.

 

Learn the fundamentals. Learn to play defense with your feet as well as your mind. Run an offense besides flex and motion. Learn how to go full speed on offense and defense. Learn how to screen. Learn how to come off screens full speed ready to receive the ball.

 

Take the court ready to WIN!

 

Sorry if I made some people mad, but I think these things needed to be said.

 

Good luck Jackets!

Everybody is a critic.

 

It really doesn’t matter what we are trying to get across to the coaches on this thread. Our opinions are passed off as coming from disgruntled parents or fans trying to be coaches. What does everyone want to hear? That there is nothing that needs to be done to improve the team? That everything is going fine? That is not true! Williamsburg is coming off of 4 losing seasons in a row and number 5 is coming up if some of the problems addressed in previous threads are not fixed. We can’t all be wrong.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.