Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rumbling and Grumblings for Campbell County

Featured Replies

SilverShadow, I'm not sure how much they get paid in Campbell Co. but head coaches in Louisville TOP out around 5K and start at 2200. Want to figure out an hourly rate for the job? Your quote was if someone's getting paid to do a job they should do it, right? How much time does a coach making 5K to coach, but making 50K to teach, dedicate to coaching related to teaching? Should he/she dedicate more time to TEACHING than coaching since it pays more and is their primary job? What about personal or family time? Oh yeah, coaches don't get that do they? We'll take personal time out of the equation and let's look at a teacher/coaches day. 8 hours in the classroom, that leaves 16 for all else. Let's say they practice three hours a day, that leaves 13. AS A TEACHER FIRST, they need to put in at least two hours a day preping and grading. We're down to 11. I'm going to give the TEACHER/coach a break and say they get an hour to commute each day. Down to 10 hours. Uh oh, we need to sleep about six hours a night so we're down to 4. Let me guess what you want your coach to do with those four hours that are left. We know they don't need to eat, bathe, wash clothes, take care of their home/family/etc. My point is coaches don't have to dedicate their lives to their program for it to be successful. Believe it or not, your child's high school athletic career is not the most important thing in the world. Have you ever gotten on a message board and complained about your child's teachers? Isn't your child's education a little more important than his/her athletic ability? What about the TEACHER/coaches' other student's? Do they deserve the best out of their TEACHER, even if he has to neglect his sacred team for an hour or two here or there? Championships aren't won in a week or two, they are won in the offseason and when no one else is working or watching. Here's a tip, instead of spending time on a message board complaining about your coach take the time to go in the back yard and work on their footwork, or conditioning, or reading a pitcher, or flipping your glove instead of craddling it, or going to the cage and working on opposite field, or......there is so much POSITIVE you can do but you all want to focus on the negative. Sounds like the kids that worked alone have figured it out. Man, and to think they could have stayed at home on the computer and dogged their coach. Dang, that would have made them winners!!!!! Get off your coach and support your program.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SilverShadow, I'm not sure how much they get paid in Campbell Co. but head coaches in Louisville TOP out around 5K and start at 2200. Want to figure out an hourly rate for the job? Your quote was if someone's getting paid to do a job they should do it, right? How much time does a coach making 5K to coach, but making 50K to teach, dedicate to coaching related to teaching? Should he/she dedicate more time to TEACHING than coaching since it pays more and is their primary job? What about personal or family time? Oh yeah, coaches don't get that do they? We'll take personal time out of the equation and let's look at a teacher/coaches day. 8 hours in the classroom, that leaves 16 for all else. Let's say they practice three hours a day, that leaves 13. AS A TEACHER FIRST, they need to put in at least two hours a day preping and grading. We're down to 11. I'm going to give the TEACHER/coach a break and say they get an hour to commute each day. Down to 10 hours. Uh oh, we need to sleep about six hours a night so we're down to 4. Let me guess what you want your coach to do with those four hours that are left. We know they don't need to eat, bathe, wash clothes, take care of their home/family/etc. My point is coaches don't have to dedicate their lives to their program for it to be successful. Believe it or not, your child's high school athletic career is not the most important thing in the world. Have you ever gotten on a message board and complained about your child's teachers? Isn't your child's education a little more important than his/her athletic ability? What about the TEACHER/coaches' other student's? Do they deserve the best out of their TEACHER, even if he has to neglect his sacred team for an hour or two here or there? Championships aren't won in a week or two, they are won in the offseason and when no one else is working or watching. Here's a tip, instead of spending time on a message board complaining about your coach take the time to go in the back yard and work on their footwork, or conditioning, or reading a pitcher, or flipping your glove instead of craddling it, or going to the cage and working on opposite field, or......there is so much POSITIVE you can do but you all want to focus on the negative. Sounds like the kids that worked alone have figured it out. Man, and to think they could have stayed at home on the computer and dogged their coach. Dang, that would have made them winners!!!!! Get off your coach and support your program.

 

 

Typical tenured justification. Try a little reality as to how hard many people who work, then turn around and volunteer for more things than those who know the amount paid. Ever measure up the amount a volunteer makes over the same, if not more time? :sleep:

 

As to teachers being complained about. Yep.

I disagree with what you are writing and I will tell you why.

First…You state your intent is not malicious however is it fair to write “players are missing practice for personal and convenient reasons” as this type of statement unfairly lumps all players on the team in that category. As you and I both know players read the postings on this site….should they have to read things of this nature that are, well questioning their character and integrity? If you have this true and factual information why not list the player’s names and incidents your writing references. Oh, that is right that would be malicious. Your rhetoric is not fooling any one. It is quite clear you have an axe to grind with the coaching staff….again if your questions/concerns needed to be addressed in the urgent manner which your postings suggest why don’t you go to that source and have them addressed? I don’t understand your logic in getting the answers you seek.

 

 

As a taxpayer I have an ax to grind with any public employee who is getting paid to do something and hardly shows up. Are you really justifying it? Wow, do as I say not as I do........

 

As for posting when and where, I really do not care who it offends. If this offends the world of the Camel coaching staff, so what?! Coach finally shows up after the season started, misses virtually all practices and most tryouts and now sits in decisions on the game???? Give me a break. I will sit well with public opinion on this. You can make your case in defense of not showing up but I bet all taxpayers, players and parents will not find this as willing as you.

 

I think it is great this is getting out there. Best thing that could happen is the offending person may wake up and actually start to earn his pay. Worst thing to happen is the coach leaves, so what - he has hardly been there.

As a taxpayer you have an ax to grind with any public employee who is getting paid and hardly shows up? I'll address this first. How long does your beloved baseball season last? I'm guessing five months, Jan.-May or early June with some success, if you count preseason conditioning, and since this is such a serious program I am positive you have preseason conditioning, maybe year round weight training even. To me that makes missing five or six days in the "season" not sound like "hardly showing up." While I do question the timing, I am guessing this program, like most in the state, has a rather good idea of who will be making their teams. Tryouts are very overrated, and usually only two or three spots are determined at tryouts and those kids ride the bench most of the time. If your school is having to have real tryouts every year then you aren't getting good players and your program is struggling. I don't think that's the case here, or is it? As far as early season games, they are highy overrated. Whoever said in May and June, "Man, if we had only peaked back in March we might have done something this year." I believe the idea is to bring your team along during the year and have them peaking come tournament time, or would you rather be burning out at the end of the year? Now let me address your snide comment of "Typical tenured justification." Sounds like you are stereotyping me so let's try this stereotype out and see if it fits any one else: A parent has a child on a school sports team. The kid, while being a good student and kid, isn't as gifted athletically as some of his rivals/teammates. Good kid shows up every day, works hard, does the right thing, but no matter what he does he isn't good enough to be a starter or a factor on his school team. Meanwhile, a couple of better "players", who may not work as hard as the good kid, get special treatment IN THE EYES OF THE GOOD KIDS PARENT. Meanwhile, only the coach sees all that has gone into who is playing and who isn't, and being a good coach, he/she wants to win games, WHICH IS THE BOTTOM LINE. Good kids parent, at no fault to the kid, starts whinning and complaining b.c their good kid isn't getting to play but the "bad" kids are. THIS ISN'T FAIR!!! whaaaaaa!!! Let's complain about the coach and see if we can get someone in here who will reward my good kid, not the best players. No other parent will care if we are losing, just so long as the "good kids" are getting to play. The principal won't care about losing, the kids won't care about losing, the community won't care about losing, no one will care about losing because MY KID IS GETTING TO PLAY!!! Am I getting close? SilverShadow, you wouldn't be one of these types of parents would you? I didn't think so b.c that type of behavior is more destructive to a team and comraderie than any absence by a coach. Our state motto says it best, "United we stand, divided we fall." Are you uniteing your team or dividing it? Does it really matter to you so long as your child get's to play. Oh yeah, and when can we know your name so we can tell Campbell Co. that you are interested in coaching their team next year? I'm sure they'll be thrilled. I know no parents will ever complain about your coaching style. hahahahahahahaha Now that's funny, parent's never complaining about their kids coach. hahahahahahaha Whew, that's funny!!!! Good luck to Campbell County's kids and team. Too bad some people are trying to tear you all down instead of building you up. Believe in your coach. I've never met him or heard about him till now but I'm sure he isn't out to hurt any child.

Again the tones of your e-mails suggest you are taken this very personal and serious…..the puzzling part, which I still, can not grasp, why you continue to blow all this “smoke” out here on the message board instead actual doing something? Do as I say not as I do, more like “all talk and no action”. If you were such a civic minded individual as your posting make you out to be, why are you trying to get this “so-called” issue resolved on a message board? To my knowledge this is definitely not the appropriate venue for that.

 

Correct me if I am wrong, but who said anything about offending the coaching staff…..I responded back regarding your posting regarding players. Who cares about that….I would think any level-headed adult. Questioning a players character is something, at least I feel, that crosses the line. As for the coaching staff, I am quite sure they can handle all criticisms that come their way. I would think they're more concerned about their next opponent and hoping the weather will permit them to actually get a couple of games in.

 

This will be the last I post on this topic as honestly I am tiring of the theme….but before I go, I ask you, if you’re a true CAMEL Baseball fan leave the comments and posting about the players out and try to be more positive for the betterment of the program and its players. If you have questions or concerns then please are an adult and take the necessary steps to either enlighten yourself on the situations which you question or resolve the concerns you have to the best or your ability.

 

Lot of ball yet to be played.….go CAMELS best of luck this season!

Again the tones of your e-mails suggest you are taken this very personal and serious…..the puzzling part, which I still, can not grasp, why you continue to blow all this “smoke” out here on the message board instead actual doing something? Do as I say not as I do, more like “all talk and no action”. If you were such a civic minded individual as your posting make you out to be, why are you trying to get this “so-called” issue resolved on a message board? To my knowledge this is definitely not the appropriate venue for that.

 

Correct me if I am wrong, but who said anything about offending the coaching staff…..I responded back regarding your posting regarding players. Who cares about that….I would think any level-headed adult. Questioning a players character is something, at least I feel, that crosses the line. As for the coaching staff, I am quite sure they can handle all criticisms that come their way. I would think they're more concerned about their next opponent and hoping the weather will permit them to actually get a couple of games in.

 

This will be the last I post on this topic as honestly I am tiring of the theme….but before I go, I ask you, if you’re a true CAMEL Baseball fan leave the comments and posting about the players out and try to be more positive for the betterment of the program and its players. If you have questions or concerns then please are an adult and take the necessary steps to either enlighten yourself on the situations which you question or resolve the concerns you have to the best or your ability.

 

Lot of ball yet to be played.….go CAMELS best of luck this season!

 

C Squared you are the one with the agenda. That is very clear. You are trying to make it out to players. Try understanding the posts. It is stating very clearly the coaching or lack of such going on by at least one paid coach. I will ask you straight up. Is it OK in your mind for a coach who accepted the position to never attend any preseason workout, weight training, condiditioning, tryouts, practices and games and then just show up. Does not matter what the story is. Is it acceptable in your mind. That is a fairly easy question and a major point in this entire thread. Not asking if it is OK with the head coach because it seems to be OK, I am asking YOU is this an OK thing to do?

 

And Buford you seem to think this is just a handful of incidents. It is a handful and that is the number of times showing up, NOT MISSING. Get the facts straight.

As an individual who played high school BB and have taught a number of years, here is what I have to say. In my 1st year of teaching I realized I wanted nothing to do with coaching because of overbearing, whiny parents.

After supporting 2 children who played high school sports here is my advice for parents.

Sit in the stands support and cheer for the team and otherwise keep your mouth shut.

C Squared you are the one with the agenda. That is very clear. You are trying to make it out to players. Try understanding the posts. It is stating very clearly the coaching or lack of such going on by at least one paid coach. I will ask you straight up. Is it OK in your mind for a coach who accepted the position to never attend any preseason workout, weight training, condiditioning, tryouts, practices and games and then just show up. Does not matter what the story is. Is it acceptable in your mind. That is a fairly easy question and a major point in this entire thread. Not asking if it is OK with the head coach because it seems to be OK, I am asking YOU is this an OK thing to do?

 

And Buford you seem to think this is just a handful of incidents. It is a handful and that is the number of times showing up, NOT MISSING. Get the facts straight.

 

As far as the coach missing sessions, yes he did attend some BB games. If he missed some winter workouts, maybe it was because his wife had a couple of minor operations and he was at the hospital. Otherwise the man was where he was supposed to be.

Sit in the stands support and cheer for the team and otherwise keep your mouth shut.

 

:thumb:

As an individual who played high school BB and have taught a number of years, here is what I have to say. In my 1st year of teaching I realized I wanted nothing to do with coaching because of overbearing, whiny parents.

After supporting 2 children who played high school sports here is my advice for parents.

Sit in the stands support and cheer for the team and otherwise keep your mouth shut.

 

You are absolutely right. Parents should just sit and shut up when they don't like what is going on around them. We should all accept that they put mayonaise on our burger when we explicitly asked for it to be plain. We should all accept that gas is $3 per gallon, and say nothing about it. Kids don't doo their homework, dog messes on the carpet, "don't worry, be happy" blah, blah, blah.

 

I have been coaching for several years as well, and one of the responsibilities for coaching, teaching, managing at your job, is being held accountable for your actions (or inaction as is the case in this thread). There is no coach in the High School rnaks that can every say they got into it because of the $$$. There is no money to be made, but there is a tremendous amount of greif that can be expected, right?

 

Aha, that is where the challenge comes in, are you able to handle the grief? Grief is going to come, no matter what you do, but for the coach of the Camels at te Varsity to become less than motivated to be the very best, well I'm sorry, that is not acceptable. CCHS is a 6A school, there should be an expectation for excellence. The school finally rid themselves of a Basketball Coach who became so unmotivated, all anyone could do is pray for the day he retired.

 

So the coach of the Camels must ask himself, what has he done to ensure the success of the program. If you want to be successful at the High School level year in and year out, you must have a plan for success. I must agree with an earlier post, how could a coach ever consider leaving every year the week prior to the 1st game of the season, and shut his team down because he wants to attend the Sweet 16 Basketball tournament? Do you think the the CCHS football coach will tell the boys that he won't be there the week before the first game (every year). No Way! No one would accept that, why should the baseball team.

 

Has the Camel Coach participated with the JV players and coaches, Freshman players and coaches. Has he involved himself in the youth programs around the county. Yep, that goes way beyond the $3K he may be making to coach, but it instills a winning attitude and tradition. Just ask the football coach, it has worked for him.

Skunk. I believe what we have here is a supporter (parent?) of a player who is not seeing action. The complaining of not being there pre-season is not the real arguement, but the current lack of playing time. If this is correct, then allow the coach to make decisions as to who is playing and the people in the stands support the team. Read over the various threads of coaches leaving, it is about parents complaining and whining.

What is actually happening is some old buddies from his old school is coming to his defense, but that is OK. Skunk, good points!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.