Region 9 Winner

Were those tournaments loaded with teams from Lexington and/or Louisville?

Did Boone ever win one of those tournaments?

And, concerning the state tournament, do you know if coach Fookes ever made it to the final 8? Or, Final 4?

Thanks.

BS - your motive is obvious...it's extremely tough to compete with the Lexington and Louisville programs for many reasons. Go on the girl's scoreboard and pull up past years. You will see that BC schedules brutal every year and dodges no one. They lost 6 of their top 8 players from last year including two potential D1 post players (6'2" & 6'3"). Her roster includes 10 soph's & Fresh and only 2 player's with major varsity minutes. She could have opted out, but still competed in the LexCath Christmas tournament. They went 3-1 only losing to Sacred Heart by 1pt on a last second shot. In Nov, she decided to have a one day event as a fundraiser for a local family. She made calls to Dunbar, Manual, Fern Creek, Madison Central, and they all immediately accepted. That's respect!

So you are aware, LexCath begged her for weeks to take their vacant HC job. She finally told them that she is loyal to the BC program and a state championship at another program at this point in her career would be hollow. She recommended their current coach and he got the job. That's respect! By looking at your previous posts you appear to be a Ryle fan. Since you are new you may not be aware, but Coach Fookes brought Coach Olivero with her to Boone...out of loyalty! At Christmas, the player's presented a check (a large portion of their fundraising money) to a former player with breast cancer...that's loyalty! These examples are why parents love being part of her program and can overlook that sideline antics...they know!

With this roster, she has probably done the best coaching job of her career, but she will be overlooked as COY. Behrens has played phenomenal this season, but I bet she gets overlooked as POY. All because of the expectation's every year.

You may not like Coach Fookes' style or her success, but what she has done for Girl's Bball has earned respect.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to have to say Conner will win the region if they can get past Highlands. I know that Highlands has beat them two times already but it is very heard to beat a team three times in a row. If Conner can get past Highlands, Conner will win the region. If Highlands beats Conner in the first round, it's Highlands region to lose!

I am going to have to say Conner will win the region if they can get past Highlands. I know that Highlands has beat them two times already but it is very heard to beat a team three times in a row. If Conner can get past Highlands, Conner will win the region. If Highlands beats Conner in the first round, it's Highlands region to lose!

AGREED!

BS - your motive is obvious...it's extremely tough to compete with the Lexington and Louisville programs for many reasons. Go on the girl's scoreboard and pull up past years. You will see that BC schedules brutal every year and dodges no one. They lost 6 of their top 8 players from last year including two potential D1 post players (6'2" & 6'3"). Her roster includes 10 soph's & Fresh and only 2 player's with major varsity minutes. She could have opted out, but still competed in the LexCath Christmas tournament. They went 3-1 only losing to Sacred Heart by 1pt on a last second shot. In Nov, she decided to have a one day event as a fundraiser for a local family. She made calls to Dunbar, Manual, Fern Creek, Madison Central, and they all immediately accepted. That's respect!

So you are aware, LexCath begged her for weeks to take their vacant HC job. She finally told them that she is loyal to the BC program and a state championship at another program at this point in her career would be hollow. She recommended their current coach and he got the job. That's respect! By looking at your previous posts you appear to be a Ryle fan. Since you are new you may not be aware, but Coach Fookes brought Coach Olivero with her to Boone...out of loyalty! At Christmas, the player's presented a check (a large portion of their fundraising money) to a former player with breast cancer...that's loyalty! These examples are why parents love being part of her program and can overlook that sideline antics...they know!

With this roster, she has probably done the best coaching job of her career, but she will be overlooked as COY. Behrens has played phenomenal this season, but I bet she gets overlooked as POY. All because of the expectation's every year.

You may not like Coach Fookes' style or her success, but what she has done for Girl's Bball has earned respect.

Amen crunch time. I have known Nell a long time and anyone who has been associtated with her would agree whole heartedly. Its the people who only see her on the sidelines or in passing that make those comments about her as a coach and an individual. My daughter played for Nell for 4 years and would not change those years for anything. It prepared her for college basketball, which she is doing just fine, and made her a better person.

Boone's schedule every year is no doubt one of the toughest in the State she dodges no one and tries to get her girls ready for the regional every year no matter who she has on the roster. Winning the region this year would be something after losing all the players she did to graduation and transfer, but she still has 2 of the best in the region so watch out 9th her she comes.

Boone is very impressive but they rely heavily on Behrens. Also Bradley seems to crumble under pressure sometimes when Boone is losing. NDA is very good. But I think Conner is very capable of making it to the finals and winning and I think they will do so. Hodges is a very strong inside force and Long runs the point very well. If they can get past Highland then I see them facing Boone is the finals.

Beasley runs the point at Conner. As far as Bradley crumbling under pressure, you must not watch very many games. If I am a Ky coach and down to the last posession I think I would take bradley hands down to either score or make the good pass. I think what you are refering to when you say crumble is she tries to be the leader and when things don't work out the leader is the one who takes the hit as it should be, but I think she has pulled alot more games out of the fire than you give her credit for. Just watching her this year she has matured immensely and guess what you get to watch her next year also. I don't envy any point guard who has to handle her one on one because you will be in for a long night.

1998 Final Four is a far as they have been from what I could find on KHSAA website. The website is hard to navigate and find history on the Sweet Sixteens.

You are correct that the 98' team made it to the final four. We lost saturday morning to Montgomery County on two free throws with less than a second on the clock.

Amen crunch time. I have known Nell a long time and anyone who has been associtated with her would agree whole heartedly. Its the people who only see her on the sidelines or in passing that make those comments about her as a coach and an individual. My daughter played for Nell for 4 years and would not change those years for anything. It prepared her for college basketball, which she is doing just fine, and made her a better person.

Boone's schedule every year is no doubt one of the toughest in the State she dodges no one and tries to get her girls ready for the regional every year no matter who she has on the roster. Winning the region this year would be something after losing all the players she did to graduation and transfer, but she still has 2 of the best in the region so watch out 9th her she comes.

When you say "2 of the best in the region" I assume you are talking about:

1. The transfer from Holy Cross

2. The transfer from Conner

After learning some of the history of the area, I have three questions:

1. If many of the "star" players in the region transfer to one school.... then how difficult would it be to take a group of these "star" players and beat the same schools that they transferred from? It wouldn't take a genius

2. What do the people in the region think about all of these transfers?

For example: It had to be difficult for the Conner crowd to watch the Boone County point guard (Conner transfer) get named the District MVP.

3. What are the parents thinking? Why would they disrupt their family with a move just so their daughter can play basketball at Boone County? How many (if ANY) of these players have gone on to play major Division One basketball?

3 Keys to a Highlands Victory:

1) A. Adler/Towles combine for >25 pts. & 15 rebounds

2)

3) Messmer scores more than 10 pts.

3 Keys to a Conner Victory:

1) Johns/Kremer combine for >20 pts.

2)

3) Haynes has at least 6 pts. & 6 rebounds

*Note to both of these keys, Hodges, Beasley & Long for Conner will get their averages which = 40 Pts. per game; Allen, M. Adler & Horner will get their averages which = 30 Pts. per game. The keys above will be the difference.

3 Keys to a Highlands Victory:

1) A. Adler/Towles combine for >25 pts. & 15 rebounds

2)

3) Messmer scores more than 10 pts.

3 Keys to a Conner Victory:

1) Johns/Kremer combine for >20 pts.

2)

3) Haynes has at least 6 pts. & 6 rebounds

*Note to both of these keys, Hodges, Beasley & Long for Conner will get their averages which = 40 Pts. per game; Allen, M. Adler & Horner will get their averages which = 30 Pts. per game. The keys above will be the difference.

I agree on all points except # 3 for Highlands success. I would inset Natalie Horner there. Messmer is more of a grind it out player whose worth is more intangible than points.