South Laurel 53 Corbin 50 (50th District)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now which district winner will have the bad luck of drawling Corbin first round. Im sure all the coachs are hoping they get a easier first round game than having to play Corbin.

At this point it shouldn't matter. You have to win 3 games anyway, Every team in this tourny is as capable as the next. Congats to SL.

Great defensive ball game, both teams will return the coreof their teams next year and with the other two teams in the 50th so young too, the 50th will be the dominate district in the 13th for some time to come.

Congrats to both teams on a great game.

I picked South Laurel to win this one. They'll probably meet again in the regional finals.

Corbin will have to play better than they did tonight to advance past the first round in the region.

I would guess that Coach P will address some of the following before next week:

1. Corbin needs better shot selection from some of their players, they have not played well at all against South's match-up zone.

2. They fouled too much defensively(South scored almost 50% of their points from the FT line) and did not contain the dribble penetration.

3. Cut back on the unforced turnovers.

Corbin will have to play better than they did tonight to advance past the first round in the region.

1. Corbin needs better shot selection from some of their players, they have not played well at all against South's match-up zone.

2. They fouled too much defensively(South scored almost 50% of their points from the FT line) and did not contain the dribble penetration.

3. Cut back on the unforced turnovers.[/QUOTE]

That was the key, Corbin had 4 turnovers in the first half but 9 in the second, it looked like Isaac Wilson got frustrated late and lost his composure for a couple minutes. He is the straw that stirs the Corbin drink. I was really impressed (not surpised) by the play of Josh Crawford, he tried to take them on his shoulders late. Aaron Manns did a great job on St. John and basicly shut him down. It was a great effort but like you I think the shot selection could have been better especially late.

Now which district winner will have the bad luck of drawling Corbin first round. Im sure all the coachs are hoping they get a easier first round game than having to play Corbin.

I wouldn't want to draw them. As The Professor said, they could possibly meet again.

3. Cut back on the unforced turnovers.[/QUOTE]

That was the key, Corbin had 4 turnovers in the first half but 9 in the second, it looked like Isaac Wilson got frustrated late and lost his composure for a couple minutes. He is the straw that stirs the Corbin drink. I was really impressed (not surpised) by the play of Josh Crawford, he tried to take them on his shoulders late. Aaron Manns did a great job on St. John and basicly shut him down. It was a great effort but like you I think the shot selection could have been better especially late.

Wilson will bounce back, but he was not himself at all tonight. He's just a sophomore and maybe he was too hyped up, although I will be shocked if he does not have a big game the next time out.

Wilson will bounce back, but he was not himself at all tonight. He's just a sophomore and maybe he was too hyped up, although I will be shocked if he does not have a big game the next time out.

I think you are right.

Billy Jones had 19 for South...Josh Crawford had 15 and Madison Johnson had 13 for the Hounds...big shots were made by Jones, Smith and Dean for the Cards in the fourth quarter...Cards shot 35 FT's...Hounds shot 21....Crawford had a hard time earning a foul taking it to the rack with one offical tonight, of course it is always a Grey area as to a foul or a clean block...St. John's maybe the best shot blocker since Bill Russell...based on the 50th district tournament. He blocked 8 shots against Whitley and probably had 10 tonight. It will be interesting to see if the regional officals see his shot blocking talents in the same light. It was a good game that someone had to lose. Hounds will either A) grow from it and learn or B) fold up the tents and be an easy out in the 13th regional next week. I thought the Hound defense was solid tonight....some of the ticky tack handchecks were not merited. I think both teams could do well in the regional or both could lose in the first round. Only time will Tell.