South Laurel 53 Corbin 50 (50th District)

How did the scoring go for both teams?

Billy Jones led South Laurel with 18(I think)and hit a big 3 with about 2:00 to go that gave South a 1 point lead and also was big from the FT line hitting something like 10-11. St. John had 7 blocks for South.

Crawford led Corbin with 15 points.

South Laurel shot 4-11 from the three point line, 23-35 from the FT line and had 9 turnovers.

Corbin shot 6-14 from the three point line, 12-21 on FT's and had 13 TO's.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Jones had 19 for South...Josh Crawford had 15 and Madison Johnson had 13 for the Hounds...big shots were made by Jones, Smith and Dean for the Cards in the fourth quarter...Cards shot 35 FT's...Hounds shot 21....Crawford had a hard time earning a foul taking it to the rack with one offical tonight, of course it is always a Grey area as to a foul or a clean block...St. John's maybe the best shot blocker since Bill Russell...based on the 50th district tournament. He blocked 8 shots against Whitley and probably had 10 tonight. It will be interesting to see if the regional officals see his shot blocking talents in the same light. It was a good game that someone had to lose. Hounds will either A) grow from it and learn or B) fold up the tents and be an easy out in the 13th regional next week. I thought the Hound defense was solid tonight....some of the ticky tack handchecks were not merited. I think both teams could do well in the regional or both could lose in the first round. Only time will Tell.

You may be right but the thing is that they were called both ways, I thought that neither teams had any advantage from the officials. In fact it was one the better called 50th district games in maybe the past ten years. The officails were not the show to night unlike some years in the past the kids were the show and the kids settled it (for now).

As far as the blocks the precident was set early in the tourny. After all it was a very physical Corbin/Williamsburg game and St. John Blocked the same way tonight as he did in the Whitley game.

My point is that if you are going to reward an offensive player 25 feet from the basket with a hand check on the hip then you might want to consider looking at the same call when a player is within five feet of the basket trying to shoot the basketball. Nothing more, Nothing less. South won, Hounds lost. If they meet in the region, the outcome maybe reversed. Only time will Tell.

The level of play in the Wburg Corbin game was no where close to the game I saw tonight. The physical play erupted after the score was out of hand. Go watch a game called in the 12th region and tell me it is not more consistent on all fronts.

Billy Jones had 19 not 18 points. You're right bubba.

I really like Jones. Even though his playing time has been cut back to allow Watkins and Gilbert to get some minutes. I think he is a class kid and came up big tonight. How Bortnem got player of the game is beyond me.....even Bubba can count to 19.

My point is that if you are going to reward an offensive player 25 feet from the basket with a hand check on the hip then you might want to consider looking at the same call when a player is within five feet of the basket trying to shoot the basketball. Nothing more, Nothing less. South won, Hounds lost. If they meet in the region, the outcome maybe reversed. Only time will Tell.

The level of play in the Wburg Corbin game was no where close to the game I saw tonight. The physical play erupted after the score was out of hand. Go watch a game called in the 12th region and tell me it is not more consistent on all fronts.

Bubba, I agree with you again about the 12th Region reffing.

Corbin's offense seemed out of synch, which I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to Corbin's player rotations being different due to all the foul trouble they were in. Barley, Manns, Wilson, Cashen and Smith were all in foul trouble at some point in the game and had to sit when they would normally play. The Hounds seem to like to bring certain kids off the bench at specific times to play with other specific players and that pattern was not there tonight. South Laurel's style of defense had a lot to do with it as well. Whichever it was, Corbin needs to avoid the early foul trouble or attack the match-up zone better to win the region.

I really like Jones. Even though his playing time has been cut back to allow Watkins and Gilbert to get some minutes. I think he is a class kid and came up big tonight. How Bortnem got player of the game is beyond me.....even Bubba can count to 19.

Billy Jones was the star of this game without question. He made clutch plays early in the game when Corbin was threatening to push out to a big lead and he made clutch plays down the stretch as well.