February 14, 200818 yr Great post....thanks for sharing. I got a feeling the post# will not climb as fast as a good ol Billy G gets drunk thread. :thumb:
February 15, 200818 yr I think if you watched the special WKYT had on Gillispie, this would make a little more sense. It talked a lot about his upbringing. He wasn't raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and hes had to work hard in life to get where he is. Everyone has personal problems. Gillispie's problems have just been so magnified since hes been here. And Im sure not everything Ive heard is true. Ive actually heard of a couple of other really nice things hes done that I can't talk about. The moral of the story is look for the good in people until the bad becomes a big issue (I wish more sportswriters would do that!)
February 15, 200818 yr That's good to hear although the thought of BCG listening to trade-io during the season is hard to imagine.
February 15, 200818 yr Author That's good to hear although the thought of BCG listening to trade-io during the season is hard to imagine. Ah, everybody listens to the radio when they're driving.
February 15, 200818 yr I will always be a fan of this guy because of this good deed. Since today is Valentine's Day, why not a "lovely" story about Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie. No, it has nothing to do with the humiliating defeat Gillispie's Wildcats suffered at Vanderbilt on Tuesday night. Instead, this has to do with a radio show, "The General Store," on WPBK (102.9 FM) that originates in Stanford. The show runs each Monday through Saturday from 9-11 a.m. and involves listeners calling with items they have for sale. So what does this have to do with Gillispie? Simple. He listened and was touched by a heartwarming story from one woman. She called wanting to sell her car immediately because she needed money so she could attend her father's out-of-state funeral. During the show, someone called WPBK's Renee Knies and asked if he could do something to help the woman. The caller was told to call back after the show ended.
February 15, 200818 yr Author Fine. But Trade-io? I still listen to the "Swap Shop" when I'm back home.:ylsuper:
February 15, 200818 yr I still listen to the "Swap Shop" when I'm back home.:ylsuper: To me, this is part of the allure of the story. Billy G was listening to local people try to buy hay or sell laying hens. It makes him human and like everybody else, which is different than the way he is normally portrayed. Lots of people grudgingly give when a hand is thrust in their face. Here, the lady wasn't asking for a hand out. He heard the sincerety in her voice and wanted to help.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.