Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should the Big East split into 2 conferences, Non Football and Football Schools?

Featured Replies

The question is: Would the non-football conference have any ties with the existing Big East Conference? I can't see the Big East letting Notre Dame go, just because there is a slight possibility that might join for football eventually.

 

Only if it was not financially feasible to stay independent. As long as they can keep a TV network in their pocket I see no incentive to join anybody. And if that day ever comes, I could see them crawling back to the Big10 for another chance as a first option.

The football schools could add Marshall, Western Ky., Memphis, and one more.

 

That would be a heck of a football/basketball conference eventually.

 

I don't think any of these programs would help the prestige of Big East football. Memphis would be attractive even if only for their basketball.

I don't think any of these programs would help the prestige of Big East football. Memphis would be attractive even if only for their basketball.

 

It wouldn't hurt, and adding 4 schools give you a Conference Title game.

It wouldn't hurt, and adding 4 schools give you a Conference Title game.

Three of those four schools are not joining for football only. Maybe WKU, but they would be nothing but a doormat for far too long. 12 Big East football schools is a pipe dream in the current situation...

  • Author
I don't think any of these programs would help the prestige of Big East football. Memphis would be attractive even if only for their basketball.

 

Would Memphis be jumping up and down to join is the question... As crazy as it sounds I'm not completely sure they would.

 

I too question whether WKU or Marshall would do anything for the Big East. I don't really know who they could add besides Memphis that would benefit them that much...

^I have to agree...I don't see Memphis joining the BEast for basketball...

  • Author

It maybe would do someone like Marshall or maybe UAB some good because it ups their prestige, \but to tell the truth both would just be dead weight at football and aren't too great at basketball now even in the CUSA...

It's one of two choices IMO. Force out the non football schools and go with a 12 team conference in both sports, or split 8 and 8 in hoops and work out the scheduling on the hoops side.

 

I also think it's in poor taste for UC, UL and USF fans to down play the recruiting boost provided by BCS affiliation in both sports. UAB, Memphis, Marshall and UCF would round out a very nice 12 team conference, but it would be at the expense of Big East hoops staples like Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall and St John's.

 

Would Nova be willing to move up from 1AA in football to fill one of those slots?

 

I'm torn because I'd like to see more than 8 football teams, but also don't like the thought of long time Big East staples getting the boot...

  • Author
It's one of two choices IMO. Force out the non football schools and go with a 12 team conference in both sports, or split 8 and 8 in hoops and work out the scheduling on the hoops side.

 

I also think it's in poor taste for UC, UL and USF fans to down play the recruiting boost provided by BCS affiliation in both sports. UAB, Memphis, Marshall and UCF would round out a very nice 12 team conference, but it would be at the expense of Big East hoops staples like Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall and St John's.

 

Would Nova be willing to move up from 1AA in football to fill one of those slots?

 

I'm torn because I'd like to see more than 8 football teams, but also don't like the thought of long time Big East staples getting the boot...

 

 

Point taken.... I''ll admit I overlooked that rather large aspect...

 

But again, I don't know that Memphis would be jumping at the opportunity... They already have the recruiting ability and really have no reason to validate themselves with a bigger conference because no one discredits them because of all of their non conference games... Then again, if UAB, Marshall, and UCF all were to leave, it would be another reason for Memphis to highly consider it I guess.

 

Has Villanova always been IAA in football??

Villanova has football, don't they?

Never mind...I see the answer.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.