Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Area; All-Area Team since 1990.

Featured Replies

If I counted correctly from my list, 18 kids have signed Division 1A/AA since 1990. Pretty impressive considering our small population and the fact football has not always been the most popular sport in our area during that time period.

 

I would be interested to know how many kids have signed to play football at any level (NAIA-D1) since 1990 compared to the number of kids that have signed for basketball or baseball over that time period.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I counted correctly from my list, 18 kids have signed Division 1A/AA since 1990. Pretty impressive considering our small population and the fact football has not always been the most popular sport in our area during that time period.

18 D1 scholarships, that is impressive for our area.

I would be interested to know how many kids have signed to play football at any level (NAIA-D1) since 1990 compared to the number of kids that have signed for basketball or baseball over that time period.

I would be interest to see all the players from our area that have played college football, on any level. I would say that number would be impressive.

 

As for football scholarships versus basketball and baseball. I remember having a conversation about that before. The number of college scholarships for non-football sports is going to be very low, compared the football scholarships.

 

I think some people would like to think of this area as a basketball rich area, but those people can not argue with the facts that show, we are definitely a football rich area. I would say the football scholarships are three times as more frequent then basketball or baseball scholarships from the area.

If I counted correctly from my list, 18 kids have signed Division 1A/AA since 1990. Pretty impressive considering our small population and the fact football has not always been the most popular sport in our area during that time period.

 

I would be interested to know how many kids have signed to play football at any level (NAIA-D1) since 1990 compared to the number of kids that have signed for basketball or baseball over that time period.

 

Just to play football at the next level period then Lawrence County has a TON of names. Might want to ask stick1, he could tell you.

I thought it would be a good idea to see who everyone would place on their all-area team if they could use any player since 1990. Just using schools from the Ashland-Area (that is the schools the Daily Independent includes in their annual all-area team). But with out breaking it down into a big school and small school division. And no player can play two ways and some athletes might have to play their non traditional positions. You can also choose three athletes. So IMO here would be my team...

 

Defense

FS - Kasey Clark (Russell) Great athlete, very versatile.

SS - Michael West (Lawrence County) Speed, Speed, Speed.

CB - Issac Ison (Russell) Excellent nose for the ball, hard hitter.

CB - Thomas Tolliver (Raceland) Arguably Raceland's best athlete ever.

LB - Stephen Crisp (Fairview) One of the hardest hitters I've ever seen.

LB - J.T. Forrest (Raceland) Leader on 06' Rams #1 ranked defense in Class A.

LB - Josh Porter (Greenup County) Good ol' fashion football player. Hard nose.

DE - Michael Gabbard (Russell) Strong, fast, and athletic from the DE spot.

DT - Mike Salmons (Raceland) One of Raceland's all-time greats on O and D.

DT - Andrew Law (Greenup County) One of the toughest players to block in the area during his time in high school.

DE - Bradley Jones (Fairview) Can get to the passer, one of "The Views" all-time greats.

 

Offense

QB - Scott Grizzle (Raceland) Areas all-time leading passer, key ingredient in RHS' district title team in 06'.

RB - Chris Jennings (Fairview) Most gifted RB to play in this area ever. Played for University of Arizona.

RB - Josh Gross (Russelll) Cut-back king, Russell's all-time best RB.

WR - Gerad Parker (Lawrence County) One time KY's all-time recieving leader. Played at UK.

WR - Eric Day (Russell) All the tools for a great WR. At one time was Russell'scareer leader in TD's, total yards, and rec. TD's.

TE - Hostester (Lawrence County) not sure of first name. University of TN signee.

T - Aaron Miller (East Carter) Had all the tools to be a great one at UK...

T - Brandon Pennington (Ashland) Hard worker, great leader, and an even better tackle.

G - Sheffey (Boyd County) Excellent career at BC and WVU.

G - Josh Wills (Russell) Great speed for a guard, can get out and pull on anybody.

C - Brad Queen (Greenup County) nearly impossible to get penitration against this guy.

 

Special Teams

K - Aaron Pettrey (Raceland) State record holder, Ohio State signee.

P - Marc Messer (East Carter) state leader in punt yards as a senior.

PR - Arliss Beach (Ashland) could be on this team at several positions. Great career at UK and some time in the NFL.

KR - Jason Miller (Raceland) Maybe unknown to some but every Raceland Ram fan remebers the name of this exciting player.

 

Athlete

Dontae Wright (Lawrence County) Could dominate at nearly every spot on the field. Miami of Ohio signee.

Drew Ramey (Russell) Great QB for devils, also great in the defensive back field.

Jake Hughes (Boyd County) versatile player, BC's offense went through him during his career as a lion.

 

* Now that would be a team that any coach would love to have!!!

 

Excellent job. I am a little surprised that the mighty Tomcats don't have more on this list.

  • Author
Excellent job. I am a little surprised that the mighty Tomcats don't have more on this list.

 

I definetly think Matt Johnson, Ian Holbrook, and Drew McDavid are all three deserving to be on the list. Its just tough to put everyone in there. If I could make one change to my team it would be putting Matt Johnson at LB instead of Josh Porter. But both were great players.

Matt played DE in high school, he was turned into a LB at Centre.

At RB please give me someone that has better stats than these:

 

Yards - 7725

Points Scored - 584

Total TD's - 95

Rushing TD's - 93

Rush TD's in a season - 50

YDS in a season - 3166

YDS in a game - 414 (I believe he had another 400+ game?)

Yds per game - 212.5

Yds per rush (single season I believe?) - 12.99

 

If you can tell me who had better stats than you can put them at #1 but until you can come up with someone that was at least close to these I can't see it.

 

No these are not Arliss Beach #'s. But he did have a 100+ yard game against Beach and held him to around 50 yards in that game I believe???? Maybe someone can help me a little on that games stats?

 

These are numbers from the former Lawrence County and Marshall University player - Michael West

I think Ram has assembled an incredibly good list! Which is evident by how VERY little disagreement has been posted. KUDOS to you RAM. VERY nice display of knowledge!

I think Ram has assembled an incredibly good list! Which is evident by how VERY little disagreement has been posted. KUDOS to you RAM. VERY nice display of knowledge!

 

:thumb: Thanks. It's kinda hard to argue with that coaching staff. We have had, and still have some, great coaches in the area.

At RB please give me someone that has better stats than these:

 

Yards - 7725

Points Scored - 584

Total TD's - 95

Rushing TD's - 93

Rush TD's in a season - 50

YDS in a season - 3166

YDS in a game - 414 (I believe he had another 400+ game?)

Yds per game - 212.5

Yds per rush (single season I believe?) - 12.99

 

If you can tell me who had better stats than you can put them at #1 but until you can come up with someone that was at least close to these I can't see it.

 

No these are not Arliss Beach #'s. But he did have a 100+ yard game against Beach and held him to around 50 yards in that game I believe???? Maybe someone can help me a little on that games stats?

 

These are numbers from the former Lawrence County and Marshall University player - Michael West

 

Josh Gross - Russell

Yards - 5799 (taken out of MANY games early)

Receiving Yards - 711

All Purpose Yards - 6941

Points Scored - 632

Total TD's - 105

Rushing TD's - 88

Return TD's - 4

Rush TD's in a season - 38

YDS in a season - 2302

YDS in a game - 289 (Could have easily had multi-400 yd games)

Yds per game - 164

Yds per rush (single season I believe?) - 10.71

 

Gross vs. Ashland (can't remember which years Beach was there)

2004 - 91 (1 TD)

2003 - 136 (1 TD)

2002 - 110 (3 TD)

2001 - ???

Those numbers are excellent! However the numbers don't lie, West wins in every rushing catagory and only loses in combined TD's and points scored? That's 7 out of 9 catagories I listed. I have no solid stats on his recieving yards. I apologize for that.

 

I didn't have the opportunity to watch Gross play but I understand that he was INCREDIBLE! It's nice to have that kind of talent in this area.

 

I think these stats show that Gross was probably a more versatile back judging by his recieving yards? Lawrence County RARELY threw the ball after Gared Parker left.

Baseball far outnumbers football or basketball scholarships.

18 D1 scholarships, that is impressive for our area.

 

I would be interest to see all the players from our area that have played college football, on any level. I would say that number would be impressive.

 

As for football scholarships versus basketball and baseball. I remember having a conversation about that before. The number of college scholarships for non-football sports is going to be very low, compared the football scholarships.

 

I think some people would like to think of this area as a basketball rich area, but those people can not argue with the facts that show, we are definitely a football rich area. I would say the football scholarships are three times as more frequent then basketball or baseball scholarships from the area.

The number of baseball scholarships may outnumber the others but what you have not accounted for is the type of scholarship. Football and basketball are for the most part full rides. A baseball scholarship is typically a partial scholarship (maybe tuition or room and board). Schools are large as Kentucky only have around 10 scholarships to be divided in some manner between 30 or so players. So while the number may be higher the "quality" of scholarship is lower.

 

None the less the kids are playing and getting part of their education for free.

None the less the kids are playing and getting part of their education for free.

 

:thumb:Your right, as long as students/athletes are getting an education, that is what is important.

 

I was only going on a thread that we had last year, where people where talking about the number of football scholarships versus other sports. There were some interesting numbers, I wish someone would post those again, it was interesting.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.