Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Area; All-Area Team since 1990.

Featured Replies

I think Boyd Co. had a kid or two play for EKU in the 90's.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you would start the offensive line was one of the best centers to ever play in this area, Todd Isaac, graduated with West and Wright of Lawrence County.

  • Author

You mentioned some excellent athletes Old Rambler, I agree with you that they are all very deserving. I also think you have to put into account wins and losses when you consider who would be the best athlete in raceland history. Individual stats are great but what the player contributes to the team aspect is also a huge factor. The truth is, it is virtually impossible to decide who would get the honor of being named the best athlete in Ram history. Everyone has their own opinion on this topic. I could bring up numerous names that have not previously been mentioned. For example, I could include Travis Roark who was all-area in baseball and football. He was the leading reciever for the Rams football team that one a district championship, and started center field for the Rams baseball team that won a district championship. Also, Josh Adkins name could be thrown into the mix, state champ in track and district champ in football. Then how could you leave out some of the guys on the 06' football team. Grizzle (all-state in football and all-area in baseball) Forrest (all-state in football) are both excellent athletes who lead Raceland to their best record in school history (tie 87' team) and district championship. Its just an impossible decision to make. Im just proud that we have enough great athletes to even debate on this topic. That is a tribute to Raceland athletics. When it comes down to it, we are all for the same team and all the athletes we named deserve to be mentioned among the school's best.

You mentioned some excellent athletes Old Rambler, I agree with you that they are all very deserving. I also think you have to put into account wins and losses when you consider who would be the best athlete in raceland history. Individual stats are great but what the player contributes to the team aspect is also a huge factor. The truth is, it is virtually impossible to decide who would get the honor of being named the best athlete in Ram history. Everyone has their own opinion on this topic. I could bring up numerous names that have not previously been mentioned. For example, I could include Travis Roark who was all-area in baseball and football. He was the leading reciever for the Rams football team that one a district championship, and started center field for the Rams baseball team that won a district championship. Also, Josh Adkins name could be thrown into the mix, state champ in track and district champ in football. Then how could you leave out some of the guys on the 06' football team. Grizzle (all-state in football and all-area in baseball) Forrest (all-state in football) are both excellent athletes who lead Raceland to their best record in school history (tie 87' team) and district championship. Its just an impossible decision to make. Im just proud that we have enough great athletes to even debate on this topic. That is a tribute to Raceland athletics. When it comes down to it, we are all for the same team and all the athletes we named deserve to be mentioned among the school's best.

 

:thumb: This I can 110% agree with you on...... Good Post.

In football it is almost impossible to say who was the best player ever. Football, unlike most sports, takes a variety of different type of players, and good teams adapt to what their strengths and weakness are. I played on several district championship teams, with some great football players, but if we ran the a spread offense, we probable would have not been very good. Likewise, the wishbone would not have worked well for the 2006 team, unless they moved Forest and Rogers back to the backfield.

 

It is also difficult to compare player from the same position. WR are different, some are position players, other are speed oriented. Some RB are power backs, some are speed for the outside type players.

 

And we all, for the most part, have left out some outstanding linemen that have played at Raceland. But, we can't compare the best offensive lineman against the best WR or RB. How would you compare the three, they are doing totally different things, but all are very important to the game.

 

Your right Ramcat, it great that we have had so many great players to argue about.

I'll agree Charlie Johnson was a great fullback, but I would have to say that his brother Mike Johnson was the best, in my opinion. I played against both and Mike was a beast.

 

I agree. I played against Mike and it was like trying to tackle a tank. He was also a very hard hitting linebacker.

Here's mine again with the college they attended. I did not include the honorable mention.

 

QB: Holbrook- none

FB: C. Johnson - none

RB: Beach - UK

RB: Jennings - Arizona

RB: Gross -Georgetown

WR: Parker -UK

WR: Day -Georgetown ?

TE: Marsh - Morehead St.

OL: McPeek -Marshall

OL: Wills - Georgetown

OL: Miller -UK

OL: Griffith - Wofford

OL: Queen - Morehead St.

 

 

Defense:

DL: Lee - None

DL: Hostetller -Tennessee

DL: Sheffey -WVU

DL: J. Thomas -None

DL: Thompson -KCU

LB: Forrest -KCU

LB: Crisp -None

LB: Davis - Wittenburg

LB: Frasure -Morehead St.

DB: Swimm - None

DB: McDavid -Georgetown

DB: Michaels -Army? Western Ky.

DB: Wright -Miami of Ohio

 

 

Specialties:

K- Pettrey - The Ohio State

PR- Tolliver -None (baseball at Transy)

KR- Newman - Morehead St.

P- Fugeman -None

 

Athletes:

ATH: Hutt -Marshall

ATH: Clark -Murray St.

ATH: Washington -Princeton

ATH: Thomas -undecided???

ATH: West -Marshall

ATH: Hughes -KCU

ATH: Ramey -None

ATH: Gable -None

ATH: Gurule -Morehead St.?

ATH: Jones -undecided???

ATH: M.Johnson -Centre

 

Ramey went to Georgetown and had his career cut short by a knee injury I believe. Possibly the 2nd most exciting runner at Russell behind Gross.

  • Author
:thumb: This I can 110% agree with you on...... Good Post.

 

Thanks Rambler. Although we might not agree on everything, the bottom line is that we all support the same team and the same athletes. Thats what makes Raceland such a special place.:ylsuper:

Running Backs: Vick Marsh (Ashland)

 

A little known fact is that Vick Marsh helped start the West Carter Football Program back in the 70's so:

 

Running Backs: Vick Marsh (West Carter)(Ashland) ;)

A little known fact is that Vick Marsh helped start the West Carter Football Program back in the 70's so:

 

Running Backs: Vick Marsh (West Carter)(Ashland) ;)

 

:thumb: I knew that and remembered him startng that program. He (Marsh) literally had to start it from scratch. They (WC/Olive Hill), I don't believe had ever had any youth football before so he had high school athletes that had never played organized football before in their lives. Tough chore to say the least.

I got to know Vic a few years ago at of all places a chiropractor's office/gym. I was there for some physical therapy and got to know him there and talked to him quite a bit at different times. Vic is a class person in every way. :thumb:

Thanks Rambler. Although we might not agree on everything, the bottom line is that we all support the same team and the same athletes. Thats what makes Raceland such a special place.:ylsuper:

 

:thumb: Once a Ram.....Always a Ram.

A little known fact is that Vick Marsh helped start the West Carter Football Program back in the 70's so:

 

Running Backs: Vick Marsh (West Carter)(Ashland) ;)

 

:thumb:Didn't know that.

I believe the ram supporters have hijacked this thread in order to talk about all the great athletes in Ram History.:D Just kidding, but maybe someone should start a thread devoted to the greatest athletes in your school's history.

 

Remember this thread was about our All-Area players from 1990 to present.

I believe the ram supporters have hijacked this thread in order to talk about all the great athletes in Ram History.:D Just kidding, but maybe someone should start a thread devoted to the greatest athletes in your school's history.

 

Remember this thread was about our All-Area players from 1990 to present.

 

:thumb:Sorry. Once we get talking, well you know the rest.

:thumb:Sorry. Once we get talking, well you know the rest.

 

Well when you have a storied past with some great players to talk about it's understandable.:thumb: There have been some great players suit up for the Rams over the years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.