Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Substitution Question

Featured Replies

If you don't like to lose get better......nothing wrong here in this situation!

 

Good for Team B to use the game as a way to teach the kids to do what is expected!

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like to lose get better......nothing wrong here in this situation!

 

Good for Team B to use the game as a way to teach the kids to do what is expected!

 

You've had 3 quarters to teach the 1st string. Put in the players that just want to get a little playing time.

Not knowing the total situation, it's impossible to be certain on how you'd handle it. I mean, what if this is a small school that is playing mostly frosh and soph's? Do you really want to put in all 7th and 8th graders against juniors and seniors? Too many unanswered questions...

You've had 3 quarters to teach the 1st string. Put in the players that just want to get a little playing time.

 

I guess I missed the part in the coaches handbook that says you HAVE to play 2nd Stringers. It is up to each individual coach to coach as they seem fit. If that means play 5 kids that whole game, it is up to them. If they want to play 12 kids, it is up to them. No one is guarenteed anything other than the 5 that start the game.

 

Again, if you don't like to lose get better. The same parents that gripe in the stands about coaches not playing their kids, are the same parents that never push their kids during the offseason to get better, but drive them to the first day of tryouts...

 

Back to the original thread: (IMO) nothing wrong here if that is how the coach wants to do it. Five different coaches would do it five different ways!

What if I'm the team that is up big? What does everyone think if I leave in my starters to work on a new zone trap. Hey we're up what a better time to work in our new 1-3-1 trap. Can't simulate game conditions, so lets do it now. This is the same logic some of you are using to keep the losing teams starters in. I don't agree with it. You have a bench, play them.

The subs on the team that is losing should get to play substantial minutes against the other team's subs. If they don't get to play in this type of game, when do they get to play?

What if I'm the team that is up big? What does everyone think if I leave in my starters to work on a new zone trap. Hey we're up what a better time to work in our new 1-3-1 trap. Can't simulate game conditions, so lets do it now. This is the same logic some of you are using to keep the losing teams starters in. I don't agree with it. You have a bench, play them.

 

Another thing to consider, the second teamers may have just played a lot of a JV game.

I guess I missed the part in the coaches handbook that says you HAVE to play 2nd Stringers. It is up to each individual coach to coach as they seem fit. If that means play 5 kids that whole game, it is up to them. If they want to play 12 kids, it is up to them. No one is guarenteed anything other than the 5 that start the game.

 

Again, if you don't like to lose get better. The same parents that gripe in the stands about coaches not playing their kids, are the same parents that never push their kids during the offseason to get better, but drive them to the first day of tryouts...

 

Back to the original thread: (IMO) nothing wrong here if that is how the coach wants to do it. Five different coaches would do it five different ways!

 

So if you have an opportunity to play the last kid on your bench. The kid thats busts there tail at every practice, that maybe just don't quite have the skill to be a primetime contributor. You let that kid sit. When getting that kid a few minutes has no outcome of the game, yet keeps that kid motivated to come back to practice, and push your starters to make them better. you're right about no rules about playing time, and in close games that kid on the end of the bench shouldn't expext to play. But in a blowout, I think you really get those kids a few minutes.

Another thing to consider, the second teamers may have just played a lot of a JV game.

 

Like I said we don't know the dynamics of the situation. But it sounds like they have been sitting for a while. You'd think they'd be ok to play some minutes in the end of a game.

The subs on the team that is losing should get to play substantial minutes against the other team's subs. If they don't get to play in this type of game, when do they get to play?

 

Bingo! you get a big:thumb:

I have no problem with Team B throwing on a little press late in the game when they are down by 20 or more just as long as they don't mind me running my starters back into the game so I can remind the other coach that we could probably have beaten them by 40 and will do so in the future.

Too many "if's" and unknowns......I would play kids time, but I can't say the bench would just automatically get all the time......I have more of a problem with coaches putting in a kids for 11 seconds at the end of the game then I do about this scenario........

You've had 3 quarters to teach the 1st string. Put in the players that just want to get a little playing time.

 

Maybe those kids just played 20 minutes out of 24 in a JV game. You are going to give the JV 28 minutes (20 minutes in JV and 8 in the V) for the night while the varsity starters have only played 20 some of the first 24 V minutes??

Too many "if's" and unknowns......I would play kids time, but I can't say the bench would just automatically get all the time......I have more of a problem with coaches putting in a kids for 11 seconds at the end of the game then I do about this scenario........

 

I can agree with that.

If they pressed with the starters in i have no problem. If they press only after i put subs in i would put my starters back in to let them work on scoring and breaking the press.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.