Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lincoln County 34 Mercer County 14 (5A)

Featured Replies

when GRC, played LC, last year there game plan, and coaching was outstanding, because that, they were able to pull out a win over Lincoln Co, that's only way your going to beat a great coach like Larry French, this man as my vote, once again as coach of the year.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the amount of juniors he has on the team, that is no doubt.

Did Mercer County have any turnovers?

 

I think Mercer had two?? Both were interceptions. The first interception was on Mercer's first posession, on their own 30. That was three plays after Lincoln's first score, then Lincoln took over and scored again to make it 14-0 halfway through the first.

 

I agree with you about Jaggers having this team back in the mix of things next year. Their QB is a very good athlete-like an earlier post said, but maybe the QB spot isn't best for him?:confused: That isn't a slap in the face either-ex: Keenan Burton is UK's best athlete, in my opinion, an the QB spot isn't the best spot for him-if it was, he'd be playing there instead of WR.

 

Mercer will be back next year, no doubt. I think they return 17/22 starters-they'll continue to improve-and then some. Jaggers will lead them back with a vengeance, I believe. Mercer will be a team to be reckoned with for sure come next fall.

Where was Lincoln County last year ? What kind of 5a record did they have last year ? Are they a traditional good program , really don't know much about 5a Lincoln County ...

when GRC, played LC, last year there game plan, and coaching was outstanding, because that, they were able to pull out a win over Lincoln Co, that's only way your going to beat a great coach like Larry French, this man as my vote, once again as coach of the year.

I agree 100%. Coach French has steadily built a very nice, respected football program since he got there 3 years ago. You have to be pretty daggon good to out coach him and I haven't seen it happen yet!! He gets my vote for coach of the year!:thumb:

From the opening kick-off untill the final play, Lincoln dominated the game in every phase. A question for those who saw the game....what kind of offensive set was Mercer County "trying" to run? I knw they were in the bone some, but what was that other set? Having not seen them until Friday nite, had they run that before? Whatever it was, it sure didn't work.

I don't really know either, but at times it looked like we had 4 running backs or 3 backs and then the QB would roll with it... it confused me so I can't explain it to ya!:lol: Kinda looked like Mercer tried to do some new things instead of sticking with what they had done all year. Sometimes its better to do what you know and just improve on that. I dunno though... I'm merely speculating.;)

This is by far one of the toughest districts in the state. For Mercer to be the 4 seed speaks volumes to the competition in the district. Good luck to Lincoln next week and Mercer in the rebuilding process for next year!

I agree 100%. Coach French has steadily built a very nice, respected football program since he got there 3 years ago. You have to be pretty daggon good to out coach him and I haven't seen it happen yet!! He gets my vote for coach of the year!:thumb:

 

Coach French is a very fine coach-but he didn't build Lincoln's football program. He came in and has revamped it. From what I've heard- a lot of people in Mercer County jumped off of the Mercer/Jaggers bandwaggon after their first loss this year-that's nuts. It's a "what have you done for me lately type of society"- in some places. Larry Phillips and Marty Jaggers built that Lincoln program-and French has came in and done a great job of redeeming it. That was the 2nd playoff meeting between Jaggers and French-they both have a 1-1 playoff record v.s the other.

Coach French is a very fine coach-but he didn't build Lincoln's football program. He came in and has revamped it. From what I've heard- a lot of people in Mercer County jumped off of the Mercer/Jaggers bandwaggon after their first loss this year-that's nuts. It's a "what have you done for me lately type of society"- in some places. Larry Phillips and Marty Jaggers built that Lincoln program-and French has came in and done a great job of redeeming it. That was the 2nd playoff meeting between Jaggers and French-they both have a 1-1 playoff record v.s the other.

Yeh, I'd say you're right, 'revamping' is a better word for it so no disrespect to the Lincoln community.:thumb:

 

And you're right, there have been a few here in Titan town jump off Jaggers' bandwagon, but I assure you they haven't given up on the boys! All I'll say is that the Mercer football community has had more to deal with than just football this season. Too many distractions, IMO. That's all I'll say about that.;)

Yeh, I'd say you're right, 'revamping' is a better word for it so no disrespect to the Lincoln community.:thumb:

 

And you're right, there have been a few here in Titan town jump off Jaggers' bandwagon, but I assure you they haven't given up on the boys! All I'll say is that the Mercer football community has had more to deal with than just football this season. Too many distractions, IMO. That's all I'll say about that.;)

 

That wasn't just a disrespectful comment to the Lincoln community, but also to it's previous coaches who led them to GREAT success, in particular, Larry Phillips and Marty Jaggers. Usually, though, comments like that aren't unheard of when dealing with some who have never lived anywhere else in their life, but one community.

 

 

You're comment about too many distractions is completely uncalled for, first of all...and, that's all Im going to say about that, at least on a message board, that is.

 

Heres what you and some others fail to realize. Marty Jaggers, at Mercer County, has a 30-8 record....pre-merger/merger combined. Back to my comment about some not having been anywhere else in their life, but one community, which SOMETIMES (depending on each individual) leads to a lack of knowledge of other football programs, and the tough times that EVERY team, despite their success, tend to fall on.

 

Bowling Green, back in '01 or '02, went 5-6. Danville, in 1999, went 7-6. Covington Catholic, while still in the playoffs this year, is 6-5. Bullitt East, finished this year 4-7 and even Boyle County. If you will do your research, you and others will realize that everyone of those schools I just mentioned have a very, very tradition rich football program....but, guess what, even they have fallen on hard times before. Guess what else?! They've bounced back...just like Mercer will.

Where was Lincoln County last year ? What kind of 5a record did they have last year ? Are they a traditional good program ' date=' really don't know much about 5a Lincoln County ...[/quote']

 

0-0?

 

Was there a 5A last year?

 

They were 7-1 in their region last year according to Riherd's and 10-2 overall, with wins over Rockcastle and Montgomery, and winning twice against Madison Central. Beat Clark County in reg season, then lost to them by 1 in the second round of the playoffs.

I don't really know either, but at times it looked like we had 4 running backs or 3 backs and then the QB would roll with it... it confused me so I can't explain it to ya!:lol: Kinda looked like Mercer tried to do some new things instead of sticking with what they had done all year. Sometimes its better to do what you know and just improve on that. I dunno though... I'm merely speculating.;)

 

Here is some football trivia for you. You can't have 4 running backs (excluding the QB). You know why?? Because that would cause you to have 5 people behind the line of scrimmage .....that's ILLEGAL. Now, you can have 4 running backs, people behind the line, counting the quarterback...but, not the afore mentioned. Given the fact that you didn't know that, probably does explain why you didn't know what was going on....that's football basic knowledge 101 (not being disrespectful, just adding to what you were saying on your own account).

 

Lastly, 3 backs and the QB in the backfield isn't uncommon. The Wing-T, the Power-I, the Maryland Straight I, the Wishbone, Flexbone, etc. all can have 3 backs in the backfield. Mercer, the other nite, when they got in the "gun" was nothing more than a version of the wishbone....the SAME plays, except for maybe the addition of 1 or two.

0-0?

 

Was there a 5A last year?

 

They were 7-1 in their region last year according to Riherd's and 10-2 overall, with wins over Rockcastle and Montgomery, and winning twice against Madison Central. Beat Clark County in reg season, then lost to them by 1 in the second round of the playoffs.

 

Correct. Lincoln has a very strong tradition. They fell on hard times for a few years before French got there to lead them back to prominence. Lincoln, while in 3A in the 90's played in:

4 District Championships (1 for Phillips, 3 for Jaggers)

6 Regional Finals appearances (1 under Phillips, 4 under Jaggers, 1 under Estes)

2 Semi-Final appearances (1 for Phillips, 1 for Jaggers)

2 3A State Runners-Up ( 1 for Phillpis, 1 for Jaggers)

 

Lincoln County has a very strong tradition. Best of luck to them this week and the rest of the post season! :thumb:

This thread is getting pretty chippy. The discourse needs to remain civil or Mercer's season won't be the only thing that's over.

I sincerely wish the best for the Mercer Titans and coaching staff! I too agree we will bounce back and have a lot to look forward to in the '08 season.

Best wishes to you too Buffalo Gap... I see your passion for the Titans program and that is admirable.

 

I'll say it again, these posts are merely my opinions. I certainly do not know all there is to know about football. ;)

Here is some football trivia for you. You can't have 4 running backs (excluding the QB). You know why?? Because that would cause you to have 5 people behind the line of scrimmage .....that's ILLEGAL. Now, you can have 4 running backs, people behind the line, counting the quarterback...but, not the afore mentioned. Given the fact that you didn't know that, probably does explain why you didn't know what was going on....that's football basic knowledge 101 (not being disrespectful, just adding to what you were saying on your own account).

 

Lastly, 3 backs and the QB in the backfield isn't uncommon. The Wing-T, the Power-I, the Maryland Straight I, the Wishbone, Flexbone, etc. all can have 3 backs in the backfield. Mercer, the other nite, when they got in the "gun" was nothing more than a version of the wishbone....the SAME plays, except for maybe the addition of 1 or two.

 

Here's some trivia for you. Allow a 5A team to play in 2A and they're probably gonna be pretty succesful. Last years championship was a gift from the KHSAA. Welcome to the real world.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.