Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Billy Gillespie be Fired?

Featured Replies

Send me your copy of that book after it takes you about 5 seconds to read.

 

I agree with Jim and that is unusual. :thumb:

 

Forget a book, I could direct you to a number of "fire tubby" websites that insinuated that Tubby lost more games at UK than he should have, so obviously I'm not the only "unreasonable UK fan" out there.

  • Replies 164
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please list the BELOW MID-Major team that was 9-21 and picked to finish 10th in one of the lowest conferences in the NCAA that Tubby lost to?

 

WKU DOES NOT fit into that category. Penn State DOES NOT fit into that category. UAB does not fit into that category.

 

Wow, were getting specific aren't we. All I'm saying is that Tubby lost to a lot of teams that he shouldn't have. Yes, WKU was one of them. There are tons more out there, but I don't really have the time, or for that matter the interest in looking up all the teams right now. I'm more concerned with what UK will do this season.

Your point? I don't know if you realize it or not, but the SEC was very tough in the mid 90s when we were going to the final four every year, arguably better than it is now. Remember Arkansas? There were plenty of SEC teams that were in the Final Four during the 90s, sometimes 2 out of the 4. I don't exactly know what your point is, but if your trying to tell me that Tubby never lost to teams like Gardner Webb, than who's the one being unreasonable here.

 

The SEC has always had a team or two per year step up and have a good year or two. Sometimes it was Alabama. Sometimes LSU. Sometimes Georgia. Sometimes Florida. But none of them were consistently good — to the point of posing a consistent challenge to UK's dominance of the conference — until recent years. Tubby happened to be the unfortunate guy in charge during the SEC's league-wide improvement. Of course, his recruiting weakness played a part in this, but the bottom line is Adolph Rupp would not enjoy the dominance he did in today's SEC landscape.

Vanderbilt has mopped the Rupp Arena floor with Tubby's teams in the past few years.

 

I had to listen to 8 Vandy students sing their fight song above the exit tunnel as my family and I exited the arena.

 

And from an historical standpoint, those were games UK was supposed to win. From a talent standpoint, not so much.

Wow, were getting specific aren't we. All I'm saying is that Tubby lost to a lot of teams that he shouldn't have. Yes, WKU was one of them. There are tons more out there, but I don't really have the time, or for that matter the interest in looking up all the teams right now. I'm more concerned with what UK will do this season.

 

Then your point is invalid because you are not willing to back it up with facts. Thanks for playing …

Send me your copy of that book after it takes you about 5 seconds to read.

 

I agree with Jim and that is unusual. :thumb:

 

I thought I saw Chicken Little running around the office this morning. :lol:

Then your point is invalid because you are not willing to back it up with facts. Thanks for playing …

 

Ok, didn't I just say they should have beatin WKU...what are the rules again?

Then your point is invalid because you are not willing to back it up with facts. Thanks for playing …

 

Does he get the home version of the game?:lol:

And from an historical standpoint, those were games UK was supposed to win. From a talent standpoint, not so much.

 

Yeah, Vandy is a powerhouse.

Does he get the home version of the game?:lol:

 

What kind of game is this anyway?

The SEC has always had a team or two per year step up and have a good year or two. Sometimes it was Alabama. Sometimes LSU. Sometimes Georgia. Sometimes Florida. But none of them were consistently good — to the point of posing a consistent challenge to UK's dominance of the conference — until recent years. Tubby happened to be the unfortunate guy in charge during the SEC's league-wide improvement. Of course, his recruiting weakness played a part in this, but the bottom line is Adolph Rupp would not enjoy the dominance he did in today's SEC landscape.

 

Other than Florida, I can't think of a team that's been consistent. One could make the case for Tennessee, but time will tell with them. I just don't see the SEC as the huge powerhouse that you do.

Ok, didn't I just say they should have beatin WKU...what are the rules again?

 

While not comparable with GW, I'll grant it. That's one. But the talent disparity between UK and WKU that year was not that great, if there was one at all.

Yeah, Vandy is a powerhouse.

 

Your words. Not mine. Are you trying to tell me the SEC hasn't improved in basketball from top to bottom in the past decade? If so, I doubt you could find 10 people on this board who would agree with that.

While not comparable with GW, I'll grant it. That's one. But the talent disparity between UK and WKU that year was not that great, if there was one at all.

 

Dayton - 99-00 season, Penn St. - 00-01 season. Look at UK's roster during the 01-02 season when they lost to WKU and tell me that UK had little talent that year.

I like Billy G's style, except for not calling a timeout.

 

If you don't practice hard you're not going to play a lot. If UK's record suffers because of it then so be it. The players didn't play with any heart and it showed. Legion should be starting and that's it. It was one game and who cares. Get the loss out of the way now and focus on the rest of the season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.