Rate the Coaches of the 13th Region

I think when you look at the "coaching" aspect you have to put John D. and Phipps up there with the best. They consistantly put teams on the floor that are competitive with a much smaller talent pool to pull from. That is what I look for when someone asks me to identify a good or great coach. Also, you have to give credit where it's due because the South Laurel program has certainly been on top for some time in the 13th. after that I'd tend to go with Strange, Petroski, and Nolan. There are so many worthy coaches in the 13th especially at Clay and Bell but the fact remains that several of the teams "become" a better team due to transfers or kids moving around while the ones mentioned above seem to be competitive year in and year out. With the talent they have brought up over the years.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Edwards or the Assistant Akal actually coach the team? I have watched the Skins several times and it appears Akal actually does most of the game and bench coaching. From all indications the Skins will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

Good coaches regardless of the sport delegate responsibilities to everyone under him/her. Sports are a team concept and everyone must buy into the philosphy and execute their role from assistants down to the manager.

Look at overall team defense over the last 10 years to find the upper coaches in the 13th region IMO.

I'm obviously very interested to see how Lewis Morris does at Bell Co. He seems like he will play an up and down style and get after people. The talent level is down, but there is still young talent there.

Coach Morris, will get up and down the floor for sure! He loves defense and full court pressure. One thing is for sure is that Bell Co. will be in shape, if it is the same Coach Morris that I remember!! Good luck at Bell Co.!!

Who said it was based on wins and losses?

That's why they keep score.

If you're basing it being just an overall outstanding individual, you'd have to know all 19 of them pretty well, and I thought this was a basketball forum.

Can you pick five or 10 or are we just gonna talk about me?

• 2 weeks later...
That's why they keep score.

If you're basing it being just an overall outstanding individual, you'd have to know all 19 of them pretty well, and I thought this was a basketball forum.

Can you pick five or 10 or are we just gonna talk about me?

Looks like he's just going to talk about you HDE.

Getting Barbourville to the regional finals (with 200 students) and winning consistently over a 20-year period is just as impressive to me as South Laurel winning three straight regional championships

If he were doing it with players from within his talent pool it would be a bit more impressive but in most cases when Phipps and BHS have made a run, it has been with a lineup made up of kids that did not come up though his feeder program. That doesn't necessarily imply that he is not a good coach, but the conclusion that he is a great coach because he does so much with so little is flawed. If those of you with more basketball knowledge than I would like to give examples of how he has displayed superior bench strategies or won due to his game plans, then I will be more than willing to listen. However, I can't agree with his high ranking based only on what he has done with a supposedly limited talent pool.