Harlan Co High School will Play Cawood's Schedule next year.

2007 Cawood Schedule (*District Games)

Aug. 24 - Harlan (A)

Aug. 31 - Evarts (A)

Sept. 8 - Fleming County (H)*

Sept. 14 - Lee County, VA (H)

Sept. 21 - Breathitt County (A)*

Sept. 28 - OPEN

Oct. 5 - Powell County (H)*

Oct. 12 - Middlesboro (A)

Oct. 19 - Estill County (A)*

Oct. 26 - Cumberland (H)

Nov. 2 - Somerset (H)

There are several blanks to be filled in. If they picked up a couple games from the Evarts/Cumberland schedule, next year might look something like this. I've filled in eleven dates with nothing open, just to show the possibilities (former opponent is italicised). I have no information stating any of this will actually happen.

1. Adair County Bowl (Evarts) OR Knott County Central (Cumberland)

2. Lynn Camp (Cumberland)

3. Fleming County (A)*

4. Lee County, VA (A)

5. Breathitt County (H)*

6. Gallatin County (Evarts)

7. Powell County (A)*

8. Middlesboro (H)

9. Estill County (H)*

10. Williamsburg (Evarts)

11. Somerset (A)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were to be in our district of:

GRC

Madison Central

Shelby Co

Scott Co

In 6A.

It will be interesting to see if that holds true. There is some talk that with the new alignment the numbers at Harlan County will drop them in Class 5A. By the way, if Harlan County does play 6A, I look for Shelby County to get pushed into another district.

Read what I said again, I never said they were a top 2A team (implying year in year out), I said that SEASON they were probably one of the Top 5 2A teams in the state, they did only beat Morgan County, but they played eventual state champion Russell pretty tough. That particular season Russell and Belfry were #1a and #1b... there was a huge disparity between those schools and the western 2A schools, it could be argued that the Top 6 schools in the state in 2A thats eason all came from the eastern semi-state (Russell, Belfry, Newport, Mercer, Sheldon Clark, Pburg). The Scotties were led by Andrew McCloud, but the line that blocked for him and allwoed him to put up such lofty numbers was nearly entirely in place for the next season.

I won't disagree that there were some shady circumstances involved with that emrger, but that is neither here nor there, the point I was trying to say is that people shouldn't automatically assume that Harlan County is going to suddenly set the world on fire and win a state title such as that Mercer County team, there are alot of different tangents with this consolidation that are working against the Black Bears, instead of in their favor.

I see this consolidation being more reminiscant of Letcher Central, than Mercer County.

I was simply stating my opinion and understand where you are coming from. Mercer had the talent and even moreso now do they. I hope they continue to grow and become a year in - out top program.

I also hope the consolidation at Harlan improves facilities and produces a lot of young men to the next level.

Congrats to Mercer for winning a state title and hope Harlan can come together and build a winning program.

They were to be in our district of:

GRC

Madison Central

Shelby Co

Scott Co

In 6A.

They were taken out of that soon after the first draft. When the alignment was approved by the KHSAA, Harlan County was not in it. The enrollment number won't be large enough for 6A.

I think it's going to be hard to find team's to play,just like Bell Co. is having right now... but it's a coaches dream to have a back field that is coming in next year,like T.J Green from Cawood,Simmons from Cumberland,and Gilliam from Cumberland... And at QB it can be either Blanton or Polson...

When will the new school be able to start funding the athletic facilities? Last I heard, the only facility that will be there next year is the gym (and it will be without seats). Does anyone else think that a new school playing home games at three different location is going to be kind of disadvantage? Also, where are they planning on practicing? And the biggest question of them all... is there any word on the new coach?

When will the new school be able to start funding the athletic facilities? Last I heard, the only facility that will be there next year is the gym (and it will be without seats). Does anyone else think that a new school playing home games at three different location is going to be kind of disadvantage? Also, where are they planning on practicing? And the biggest question of them all... is there any word on the new coach?

Mybe they can use yours....:thumb: Chair that is....