Freshman: Ashland 14 Russell 6

Blue Blazer

Nice game for the Tomcats who finish the season 6-1. The field was pretty wet and led to some fumbles for both teams. Don't know why Russell is 0-8, they didnt look that bad. But sometimes I guess a sloppy field can be an equalizer. Time to hit the weights!

Nice game for the Tomcats who finish the season 6-1. The field was pretty wet and led to some fumbles for both teams. Don't know why Russell is 0-8, they didnt look that bad. But sometimes I guess a sloppy field can be an equalizer. Time to hit the weights!

Russell has some good players on the Freshman team. They have had some injuries and are not very deep in this class.

It would be nice if all schools could have a game of this magnitude for their Freshman teams. Seems to be alot of build up and pride in this game from the locals, and it gives the younger kinds who probably dont get alot of PT at the varsity level a big stage to showcase their ablilities. I hope one day to be able to come down and watch this game. Congrats Ashland on the win. How long has this game been played?

It would be nice if all schools could have a game of this magnitude for their Freshman teams. Seems to be alot of build up and pride in this game from the locals, and it gives the younger kinds who probably dont get alot of PT at the varsity level a big stage to showcase their ablilities. I hope one day to be able to come down and watch this game. Congrats Ashland on the win. How long has this game been played?

In the current format: Ashland vs. Russell it has been played since about 1980, but before that the Kiwanis Bowl pitted the two junior highs of Ashland,Coles vs. Putnam and has been played for decades.

In the current format: Ashland vs. Russell it has been played since about 1980, but before that the Kiwanis Bowl pitted the two junior highs of Ashland,Coles vs. Putnam and has been played for decades.

Dickie said the number of years the Kiwanis Bowl has been played in Ashland on the radio tonight but for the life of me I can't seem to remember???? 47 or 57 years is sticking out in my brain?

Great job Tomcats! Hats off to Russell for a game well played. Ashland won the turnover battle 2-1 and that could well of been the difference in the game. Big play of the game was the fumble recovery and return to the Russell 5 yard line by Ashland's Dylan DeLaney early in the fourth quater followed by a 5 yard touchdown pass from Chris Johnson to Trent Hardy.

I think Coach Harris said it best on the radio tonight when he quoted the newer logo on the side of the police cars here in Ashland....A Proud Past and a Bright Future.... And the same goes for this football program!

:thumb: I agree, Ashland Tomcat Football will not be down for long.