Cumberland VS Harlan...One Last Time

Scatbackskin2

Who wins  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

They didn't play from 73 to 75 either. I don't see how the flood would have anything to do with it.

Cawood and Harlan didn't play for over 20 years (when Cawood had its best teams), so breaks in the schedule aren't that unusual I suppose, especially if they are in different districts as Cumberland and Harlan were during the 60s and 70s.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't play from 73 to 75 either. I don't see how the flood would have anything to do with it.

Cawood and Harlan didn't play for over 20 years (when Cawood had its best teams), so breaks in the schedule aren't that unusual I suppose, especially if they are in different districts as Cumberland and Harlan were during the 60s and 70s.

I didn't catch the 70s gap. Showing my ignorance. Thanks HDE

Its no doubt that Cumberland is the heavy favorite but, just for fun, lets think about what a Harlan win would do to the district standings and playoff positioning. Also, lets throw in a Pineville win over Jenkins....what would that do? HDE, get out your rule book!! All this is hypothetical of course.

Pappy,

Everytime I get mad at you I sit back and look at the things you say and I laugh. You should have been a Comedian. On the other hand, if you are serious you may need some psychiatric help. News from Pappy folks -----

ITS ALL JUST A CONSPIRACY. HARLAN COUNTY HIGH IS AN EVIL ATTEMPT TO DEMOLISH THE SPORTS PROGRAMS AT THE CITY SCHOOL. It really is becoming hard to carry on a convo with you and all your theories.

I am really having a hard time understanding your theory about the county teams vs. Harlan. Evarts wanted to beat Harlan and now they are finished. Cawood didn't want to beat Harlan so they are ok. What about Cumberland?

Should they want to win the district game or not? If you lose to Harlan then your season is over because the county built the game up. If you beat Harlan then your season is over because that was all you were playing for. I need to call Jon and tell him not to play the game because it is a TRAP. YOU HAVE ME CONFUSED WITH THIS THEORY. I still think you give Harlan more credit than they deserve. 80% of the people in Harlan could care less if they go 10-0 or 0-10 and thats a fact.

Its no doubt that Cumberland is the heavy favorite but, just for fun, lets think about what a Harlan win would do to the district standings and playoff positioning. Also, lets throw in a Pineville win over Jenkins....what would that do? HDE, get out your rule book!! All this is hypothetical of course.

It makes my head hurt. Let's just wait until late Friday night and see where everything stands after the games.

Come on HDE...give it a whirl.

Hazard 5-0 (after expected wins v. C'land and Evarts)

C'land 3-2 (after a loss to Harlan per the scenario and then to Hazard-my pick but a win v. Evarts - my pick)

Harlan 3-2 (after a win v. C'land per the question and a win against Jenkins-my pick)

Evarts 2-3 (after losses v. C'land and Hazard - my picks)

Jenkins 2-3 (after losses to P'ville and Harlan - my picks)

P'ville 1-4 (after win over Jenkins - my pick)

I think, if this crazy scene plays out, Jenkins is 4 with head to head over Evarts; Evarts would be out; Harlan would be 2 with head to head over Cumberland and Cumberland is 3.

Keep in mind, I don't know anything about the tie-breakers and ANY of these games in this district could go the other way...On second thought, HDE is right...it makes my head hurt, too.

Pappy,

Everytime I get mad at you I sit back and look at the things you say and I laugh. You should have been a Comedian. On the other hand, if you are serious you may need some psychiatric help. News from Pappy folks -----

ITS ALL JUST A CONSPIRACY. HARLAN COUNTY HIGH IS AN EVIL ATTEMPT TO DEMOLISH THE SPORTS PROGRAMS AT THE CITY SCHOOL. It really is becoming hard to carry on a convo with you and all your theories.

I am really having a hard time understanding your theory about the county teams vs. Harlan. Evarts wanted to beat Harlan and now they are finished. Cawood didn't want to beat Harlan so they are ok. What about Cumberland?

Should they want to win the district game or not? If you lose to Harlan then your season is over because the county built the game up. If you beat Harlan then your season is over because that was all you were playing for. I need to call Jon and tell him not to play the game because it is a TRAP. YOU HAVE ME CONFUSED WITH THIS THEORY. I still think you give Harlan more credit than they deserve. 80% of the people in Harlan could care less if they go 10-0 or 0-10 and thats a fact.

I didn't present a theory, I wouldn't waste my time. I give up on you. I was posting my opinion. You asked me to get back to county football so I did. If you don't think that the Harlan game wasn't important to the county schools this year, you need psyciatric help. No its not the most important in reality. It shouldn't be. But what I am saying is different teams respond in different ways. If I bother you as much as you act, you are the one with probs. My perspective is from Harlan, so deal with it. Just ignore me please. Cumberland is the strongest county team. Harlan is a 99-1 longshot. Period. In my opinion the Harlan rivalry is more secondary to them than Evarts or Cawood. Hey! thats why I pay my $15 a year, so I can post my opinion. Sorry it bothers you (not!)

The fact of the matter that these two schools, like them or not, will be coming to an end of a rivalry. Although it might not be as strong as Evarts or Cawood it is still a rivalry.

I remember the game when JB Donahue was the QB and Cumberland beat them 7-0 at Harlan on a touchdown late in the game. If I recall correctly that Harlan team was rated #1 in the state....

Football in the county will NEVER be the same....EVER....

I do actually, but good ole lungbuster knows what buttons to push. I agree, and unlike Evarts and this is just my opinion the Skins won't hang their season on beating Harlan. When you get satisfied with yourself, you are done. As I said, if Cumberland beats Harlan, I think they will finish 2nd behind Hazard.

EVARTS is not hanging their heads!! Yes it was great to beat Harlan and bring home the coal bucket, and yes we (EVARTS WILDCATS) have had a couple of bad games and a very tough one this Friday. But we would like to win every game we play, so don't think we stop playing just because we beat Harlan.

EVARTS is not hanging their heads!! Yes it was great to beat Harlan and bring home the coal bucket, and yes we (EVARTS WILDCATS) have had a couple of bad games and a very tough one this Friday. But we would like to win every game we play, so don't think we stop playing just because we beat Harlan.

I didn't say you stopped playing. I'm saying Evarts, Harlan, or any team, esp. a team not used to winning, can get their head turned by a long sought after win. Its human nature. No disrespect, just my opinion. Thats why its hard to get a losing program turned around. Letdowns are tough to fight. Ask a coach. I'm just posting my opinions. You have to get a thick skin on this board. Again, no disrespect intended. I'm a Dragon, but I'm not out to make anyone feel bad. There are those folks on here. But, by nature opinions sometimes sting a little. To the extent that it doesn't affect Harlan, best wishes to the Wildcats rest of the year, and for that matter the Redskins, or even Lungbuster's Trojans. Its good to have Evarts fans on. Not many online.

Come on HDE...give it a whirl.

Hazard 5-0 (after expected wins v. C'land and Evarts)

C'land 3-2 (after a loss to Harlan per the scenario and then to Hazard-my pick but a win v. Evarts - my pick)

Harlan 3-2 (after a win v. C'land per the question and a win against Jenkins-my pick)

Evarts 2-3 (after losses v. C'land and Hazard - my picks)

Jenkins 2-3 (after losses to P'ville and Harlan - my picks)

P'ville 1-4 (after win over Jenkins - my pick)

I think, if this crazy scene plays out, Jenkins is 4 with head to head over Evarts; Evarts would be out; Harlan would be 2 with head to head over Cumberland and Cumberland is 3.

Keep in mind, I don't know anything about the tie-breakers and ANY of these games in this district could go the other way...On second thought, HDE is right...it makes my head hurt, too.

Lets throw in a win by Evarts over Hazard. See if that helps everyone's headaches.

Someone mentioned the serious record and back when the preview came out in HDE, it stated 29-30-1 Cumberland-Harlan-Tie. The shirts do not show this to be true, however, the shirts are missing the games in the 70s, which may have been played and then missing 1987. I can understand the gap in the 70s since it is more than 1 year, but what about 1987?