Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules Question?

Featured Replies

Can the OL cut block DL or blitzing LB's while the QB is in the shotgun position. I have seen it called and not called in games. Does anyone know what the official rules say?

No, you cannot not cut Linebackers at all.

No, you cannot not cut Linebackers at all.

 

But officials are very inconsistent about calling it?

You can only block below the waist if the ball is in the neutral zone. And if the QB is in shotgun formation, as soon as the ball is snapped, the ball is no longer in the neutral zone.

 

You can block LB below the waist, if the OL is in the neutral zone, the ball is in the neutral zone, and the LB enters the neutral zone.

The key is you can cut in the free blocking zone (neutral zone) as long as the ball is in the zone.

 

Bad thing is NO OFFICIAL has the GUTS to make this call on a consistant basis due to the number on teams running a shotgun offense. Because the moment the ball leave the center the ball is out. I see so many teams get away with it.

 

This is one rule the KHSAA should work with their officials on.

I think if the lb starts out of the neutral zone then enters it he can not be cut no matter where the ball is. But if he lines up on the line LOS (showing blitz or stemming) and is standing up he can be cut.

I think if the lb starts out of the neutral zone then enters it he can not be cut no matter where the ball is. But if he lines up on the line LOS and is standing up he can be cut.

 

The way officials have explained it to me is: a block below the waist is legal when the ball is in the neutral zone, and an offensive player who starts in the neutral zone blocks a defensive player who started out in or entered the neutral zone; or an offensive player who is in or enters the neutral zone may block a defensive player who started out in or entered the neutral zone.

 

Another words while the ball is in the neutral zone:

OL cuts a DL.................................................Legal

OL cuts a LB who enters the neutral zone..........Legal

RB cuts a DL after RB enters neutral zone..........Legal

RB cuts LB after both enters neutral zone...........Legal

You all need to get into the Rule Book....some of these answers are way off. Simply put to be cut the Defensive Player must be on the LOS, the ball has to be in the Free Blocking Zone and it has to be an interior Lineman (width of the zone) that cuts. There is no way that a RB could legally cut anyone.

 

From a Shot-gun formation, that would mean the OL would have to time their block with the snap to cut immediately...if there is any delay...the ball is out of the zone. I have not seen to many OL that are that savy to do this.

 

Just my two-cents.

Both players must be on the line of scrimmage at the snap. A linebacker blitzing from his normal position cannot be cut as he rushes the qb or running back.

So who is right? Coach Buckett (who I think knows something about Shotgun offense and blocking) or Old Ref?

I have read the rule book, repeatedly. I know what it says, but my post was based on what multiple officials have told me as to how the rule is interpreted. The rule book is great, but you have to go on the officials making the calls, the letter of the rule is great, but the officials go on the what they are told in clinics, and they enforce the rules. I have argued many times with the rule book in my hand, and the official always says, "that is not the the way the rule is interpreted". I no longer teach cut blocks and I infaticly encourage that no cut blocks are delivered.

 

I have had linemen flagged for cut blocks while the ball is in the neutral zone, against DL who were in the neutral zone, I was told by the official this was illegal.

 

I have had my DL cut blocked by RB when the ball was not in the neutral zone, and neither the DL nor the RB were in the neutral zone, I was told by the official this is legal because the DL started in the neutral zone.

 

I have had LB cut blocked by OL, and I was told this was legal because the LB entered the neutral zone.

 

I have had LB cut blocked by RB, and told this was legal because both entered the neutral zone.

 

I have had my OL cut block LB, and was told this was illegal.

 

I have had my RB cut block a DL and told this was illegal.

 

So to answer a simple question, with a complex answer, it depends what officials are calling the game, and how well they know the rules and how they interpret that rule.

I have read the rule book, repeatedly. I know what it says, but my post was based on what multiple officials have told me as to how the rule is interpreted. The rule book is great, but you have to go on the officials making the calls, the letter of the rule is great, but the officials go on the what they are told in clinics, and they enforce the rules. I have argued many times with the rule book in my hand, and the official always says, "that is not the the way the rule is interpreted". I no longer teach cut blocks and I infaticly encourage that no cut blocks are delivered.

 

I have had linemen flagged for cut blocks while the ball is in the neutral zone, against DL who were in the neutral zone, I was told by the official this was illegal.

 

I have had my DL cut blocked by RB when the ball was not in the neutral zone, and neither the DL nor the RB were in the neutral zone, I was told by the official this is legal because the DL started in the neutral zone.

 

I have had LB cut blocked by OL, and I was told this was legal because the LB entered the neutral zone.

 

I have had LB cut blocked by RB, and told this was legal because both entered the neutral zone.

 

I have had my OL cut block LB, and was told this was illegal.

 

I have had my RB cut block a DL and told this was illegal.

 

So to answer a simple question, with a complex answer, it depends what officials are calling the game, and how well they know the rules and how they interpret that rule.

 

Maybe this will help. This is what we teach our officials:

 

BLOCKING BELOW THE WAIST

 

Blocking below the waist is making initial contact below the waist from the front or side against an opponent other than a runner.

 

Blocking below the waist applies only when the opponent has one or both feet on the ground.

 

Blocking below the waist is ILLEGAL except:

 

When the block below the waist is in the free blocking zone AND

All players involved in the blocking are on their lines of scrimmage and in the zone AND The contact is in the zone.

 

Otherwise, blocking below the waist, by the offense or the defense is illegal unless it is against a runner or a player pretending to be a runner. Also once the ball leaves the zone, blocking below the waist is illegal. :thumb:

The key is you can cut in the free blocking zone (neutral zone) as long as the ball is in the zone.

 

Bad thing is NO OFFICIAL has the GUTS to make this call on a consistant basis due to the number on teams running a shotgun offense. Because the moment the ball leave the center the ball is out. I see so many teams get away with it.

 

This is one rule the KHSAA should work with their officials on.

 

Understand the rule completely Coach! I heard your local association is looking for some good people.

The key is you can cut in the free blocking zone (neutral zone) as long as the ball is in the zone.

 

Bad thing is NO OFFICIAL has the GUTS to make this call on a consistant basis due to the number on teams running a shotgun offense. Because the moment the ball leave the center the ball is out. I see so many teams get away with it.

 

This is one rule the KHSAA should work with their officials on.

 

If the QB is in a shotgun formation and his offensive linemen cut block as soon as the ball is snapped, that is legal. However, if the linemen delay the block and cut when the ball is out of the zone, then you have a problem. (See my previous post regarding the rule on blocking below the waist)

 

With regard to your GUTS statement, I strongly disagree. :mad: Eventhough most of the officials that I know do have big guts, (especially the umpires that work for local TV stations :thumb:) they do have the "cajones" to call the foul if, and when, they see it. :fight:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.