AP Rankings

3ptshooter

I just saw the AP rankings and this just re-enforces my thoughts on how rediculous they really are. In 1A, Bishop Brossart recieved 2 votes.

Now don't any of you BB fans get mad but who in their right mind would vote to give them pts in the state polls. Their own coach has to realize that they are not a very good football team, yet!

I would rank their fans up in the top 10 w/any school in the state.:banana:

I think this should be chalked up as an honest mistake by a voter, whoever tabulated the votes or a typo. No voter would vote Brossart in the top 10 (I hope). In a few years I’m sure they will build a strong program because of: 1) The tremendous fan support they receive. 2) The excellent job Brossart does of promoting their athletic programs. 3) The expected growth in the Alexandria area. I wish them the best of luck!

This is what I learned from an AP voter ...

When writers vote in the poll, they go to a website. On the site, each class is set up with 10 slots, 1 through 10. Each slot is a "drop-down menu" where all of the teams are listed in alphabetical order, and the voter must click the icon on the team he wishes to vote for each spot.

Because the teams are listed in alphabetical order, it's possible that the vote Brossart received was one intended for say, Bellevue, which is close to it (maybe even right above it) on the alphabetical list.

Just one possible explanation ...

It was also explained how Southwestern was receiving votes in 3A for a while. When the AP set up the new classes, they inadvertently left Southwestern on the 3A list ... they were in the old 3A.

I have read the AP poll since this season has started. It is very clear to me that most of the voters are not football fans or they are just fans in their own home town. I just wish they would take their voting more serious. If you compare the AP poll to the BGP poll it appears that both are looking at totally different teams when indeed they are the same teams. IMO BGP does an excellent job in determining the top ten in each class. I think they take time and make a good quality choice by looking at many different factors not just the win loss stats. Oh well the AP guys give us something to laugh about each week. Enjoy it and have fun.

These are the same folks that voted Sam Robey first team all-state at offensive tackle after his sophomore season. Name recognition works in these polls just like in politics.

Don't know who Sam Robey is, but that is a good point. ie Guidugli. I feel sorry for the pressure and expectations that all of the younger brothers of Gino have gone through.

This is what I learned from an AP voter ...

When writers vote in the poll, they go to a website. On the site, each class is set up with 10 slots, 1 through 10. Each slot is a "drop-down menu" where all of the teams are listed in alphabetical order, and the voter must click the icon on the team he wishes to vote for each spot.

Because the teams are listed in alphabetical order, it's possible that the vote Brossart received was one intended for say, Bellevue, which is close to it (maybe even right above it) on the alphabetical list.

Just one possible explanation ...

It was also explained how Southwestern was receiving votes in 3A for a while. When the AP set up the new classes, they inadvertently left Southwestern on the 3A list ... they were in the old 3A.

Exactly the points that we have been making all along. We all know that the AP guys read BGP. At least the two that I talked to do. It is very frustrating when you have a media that could care less about their votes. This is one of the reasons why I have said all along that the Grimm kid from Johnson Central could run for 500 yards a game for the rest of the season, score 60 TD's, and win a state championship. He would have better chance of getting on the next space shuttle than he would have a chance of being considered for Mr. Football. It's a joke.