Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell/Spring Valley, WV Scrimmage

Featured Replies

Was supposed to be played this morning. Any word on how the Red Devils looked? How did the three biggest question marks look, the LB's, DB's, and HB's?

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

several people got in reps at the LB postion..Joe Roark, Evan Boyd, Will Rice, Tyler Jones and Kamron Smith. Overall Will played very well today. He got up in the holes and made plays. Our DB's didn't do bad either. Spring ran a bunch of wing-t so they got to step up and make some plays. Dave Bailey had a nice interception return to inside the 5yd line.The RB's ran hard again. A few cuts here and there couldve been the difference maker.

3A Beware the Devils looked real solid ....

 

Offense, Jones gives Devils many possibities on offense and others like #13,#38 will be getting better all year. Jones is 5 yards per carry even on his shortest runs .. He'll drag people for 5.

 

Defense full of kids who can again run ... So if you can't pound it between the tackles , you won't beat the Devils this year ... Jones brings enough toughness for the entire Defense ....

 

Already predicting Devils travel to Belfry ... tougher regular season will help these Devils come playoff time ...

 

Cabell scrimmage will tell more , but no doubt Devils are real solid and will improve each week ....

 

Still shake out to do on both lines ... but coaches have alot to work with ..

I thought the defense looked a little ahead of the offense at this point. S.V. ran alot of the wing-t (1st and 2nd teams at least) so didn't get to see Db's and safeties in pass coverage very much.

 

1st team offense looked better on the second drive of the day. Passing game still needs more rep's in the next 2 weeks.

 

I'm sure coaches will review the film and fix a few things before Cabell -midland come in on tuesday

3A Beware the Devils looked real solid ....

 

Offense, Jones gives Devils many possibities on offense and others like #13,#38 will be getting better all year. Jones is 5 yards per carry even on his shortest runs .. He'll drag people for 5.

 

Defense full of kids who can again run ... So if you can't pound it between the tackles , you won't beat the Devils this year ... Jones brings enough toughness for the entire Defense ....

 

Already predicting Devils travel to Belfry ... tougher regular season will help these Devils come playoff time ...

Cabell scrimmage will tell more , but no doubt Devils are real solid and will improve each week ....

 

Still shake out to do on both lines ... but coaches have alot to work with ..

 

I'm with you on the tougher regular season. This will help immensley.

Defense was way ahead of the offense for Russell. Neither teams starters scored. Russell did look more consistant the second offensive series. Still kind of sloppy execution wise.

 

The best thing about the scrimmage for Russell was that it showed they will hit. The defense should be very good. Spring Valley was a very big team and the starters never really moved the ball

 

I really like Jones at LB on defense. A couple of really nice hits.

  • Author

Just out of curiosity, for any Devil fan who went over and watched the Belfry?Boyd game last night, and the Russell/SV game today, which team looks more molded at this VERY EARLY point in the season?

I didn't get to see the Belfry/Boyd scrimmage. If I had to guess I would say both scrimmages were similar. 10 and 10, alot of people in and out and being tried in different positions. There was not much flow just a chance to work and hit.

 

Russell did hit and should be pretty good again. I would imagine Belfry looked more cohesive at this point due to the large number of returning starters on the offensive and defensive lines.

  • Author
I didn't get to see the Belfry/Boyd scrimmage. If I had to guess I would say both scrimmages were similar. 10 and 10, alot of people in and out and being tried in different positions. There was not much flow just a chance to work and hit.

 

Russell did hit and should be pretty good again. I would imagine Belfry looked more cohesive at this point to the large number of returning starters on the offensive and defensive lines.

It's ironic, yet fitting, that in my estimation both Belfry and Russell seem to be identical in the strengths and question marks category.

 

Strengths: Both have solid personnel returning in their front 7 on defense and should be solid. Both have returning starters at QB who will be able to effectively move the chains in the air (unusual for both haha).

 

Question Marks: Both have lots of holes to fill in their secondaries. Both have to figure out the right combo of running backs in their backfield.

 

The only blaring question for Russell, that Belfry seems fine, is at LB.

 

This should be interesting to see how these teams develop and if we can do it again in the semi's for the 4th Straight year.

It's ironic, yet fitting, that in my estimation both Belfry and Russell seem to be identical in the strengths and question marks category.

 

Strengths: Both have solid personnel returning in their front 7 on defense and should be solid. Both have returning starters at QB who will be able to effectively move the chains in the air (unusual for both haha).

 

Question Marks: Both have lots of holes to fill in their secondaries. Both have to figure out the right combo of running backs in their backfield.

 

The only blaring question for Russell, that Belfry seems fine, is at LB.

 

This should be interesting to see how these teams develop and if we can do it again in the semi's for the 4th Straight year.

Actually LB, to me was the spot that looked the best today. Jones may move to LB and looked VERY good there. Rice and Boyd also looked good. IMO the LB spot will be one of Russell's strengths.

 

Russell's biggest question right now to me seems to be who will step up in the backfield. There are alot of candidates but seeing who rises to the top should be interesting.

Sounds like it is going to be more of the same with the Red Devils this season. :thumb:

I have to disagree with many Russell supporters. I didn't think Russell was even close to their HYPE! Jones will be one of the best in the area on either side of the ball. Without seeing any other 3A team this year (thus far), I would hesitate to rank them in the top four unless by default. I would reckon that Mason Co. may end the Devils run in both District and Region streaks. I am basing these cynical statements on the fact that I was VERY DISAPPOINTED with both line plays by the Devils and their lack to tackle consistently throughout the scrimmage (yes, 1st team too). They may have a couple of players who hit hard, but they are not hitting as hard as some on here are stressing, they hit as hard as many, many, many other HS teams in the area.

I know it is early, and I don't totally understand how HS scrimmages work and what the coaches are trying to accomplish. But, I hope that the Russell coaches were "experimenting" with different lineups and evaluating younger players, b/c they did not perform up to the standards and hype all the russell fans are posting!

...I know it is early, and I don't totally understand how HS scrimmages work and what the coaches are trying to accomplish. But, I hope that the Russell coaches were "experimenting" with different lineups and evaluating younger players, b/c they did not perform up to the standards and hype all the russell fans are posting!

 

That is the way Ivan works every year...always shuffling players in and trying different combinations to see what works best. I expect Tuesday to show a little more consistency and give the fans a better idea of what to expect, but even then you still won't know what you might see the first week or two of the regular season. Adjustments will be made, players will be moved around and by the time the end of the year rolls around, none of what happens now will have mattered because the district and regional titles won't be going anywhere except back to Red Devil Lane...:thumb:

Tuesday?

Russell scrimages Cabell Midland on Tuesday.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.