Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th District Next Year

Featured Replies

:laugh: I wonder why that is? Any thoughts? Ludlow has always had good athletes down there especially in baseball. Growing up I remember them having a very strong Knothole baseball program and alot of really knowledgable coaches. Don't know if its still that way or not..

 

Many thoughts but.......

Ludlow does have some very good athletes.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I see with Ryle being number 1 In the 9th region for the 2008 season is that most of their returning lineup has little to no varsity expiernece. A few players saw time but most the players don't have the playing time as the team that won the 9th region last year. They are a good team I just doubt that they have the expiernece to win big time games in big time situations. I predict Covington Catholic to win the 9th region, they are a very talented team that are solid in almost every area of play.

 

That is a solid prediction because CovCath will have an excellent team and is definitely one of the teams that can win the ninth. What I do question is the thought of little or no varsity experience, it is way overrated as it relates to baseball. You either have the talent to play at that level or you don't. Some schools in this region do not have the benefit of being deep so they must play sophmores and even freshman on the varsity team early to field their best team. Ryle however is very deep and you basically have to wait your turn to get a chance to play on the varsity. This past year is a good example as a handful of players that could have started on a majority of the schools in this region had to sit and wait their turn for this upcoming season. There was also a half a dozen or so sophmores that could have had varsity time on a lot of schools, but only played full time on the JV Regional Championship team that went 26-3. Once again this year you will more than likely have only seniors and juniors on the varsity squad. Talent is what wins big games.

  • Author
That is a solid prediction because CovCath will have an excellent team and is definitely one of the teams that can win the ninth. What I do question is the thought of little or no varsity experience, it is way overrated as it relates to baseball. You either have the talent to play at that level or you don't. Some schools in this region do not have the benefit of being deep so they must play sophmores and even freshman on the varsity team early to field their best team. Ryle however is very deep and you basically have to wait your turn to get a chance to play on the varsity. This past year is a good example as a handful of players that could have started on a majority of the schools in this region had to sit and wait their turn for this upcoming season. There was also a half a dozen or so sophmores that could have had varsity time on a lot of schools, but only played full time on the JV Regional Championship team that went 26-3. Once again this year you will more than likely have only seniors and juniors on the varsity squad. Talent is what wins big games.

 

The biggest difference between Varsity and JV baseball is the gane is a step quicker. Hitters get down the line quicker so infielders have to have stronger arms. Stolen bases are a second or two quicker so your battery has to be a step quicker on both ends. Pitching on average is mid 80's vrs high 70's so hitters have to have a little quicker bat. However, most of the kids that I know at Ryle, and most high schools for that matter, have seen and have adjusted to that speed difference in summer and fall ball. Should be a fun year......GO RAIDERS

The biggest difference between Varsity and JV baseball is the gane is a step quicker. Hitters get down the line quicker so infielders have to have stronger arms. Stolen bases are a second or two quicker so your battery has to be a step quicker on both ends. Pitching on average is mid 80's vrs high 70's so hitters have to have a little quicker bat. However, most of the kids that I know at Ryle, and most high schools for that matter, have seen and have adjusted to that speed difference in summer and fall ball. Should be a fun year......GO RAIDERS

 

 

Plain and simple Pitching is the big difference. HS, College, Minor leagues and the Majors, pitching is the difference...... the more you move up, the better the pitching becomes.....

  • Author
Plain and simple Pitching is the big difference. HS, College, Minor leagues and the Majors, pitching is the difference...... the more you move up, the better the pitching becomes.....

 

As I mentioned above, pitching is a factor, but at that level it's just one of many factors. Having coached in the Cincinnati AABC league for over 20 years, evaluating tallent like judging an infielders range, the "clock in the head" therory for decission making, outfiders angles to the ball, baserunning,

blocking fastballs vrs a spinning curveball, hitting zones and hitting counts, pitching location and breaking balls ect, there is so much a 14 year old needs to understand to be a successful 16 year old player

The biggest difference between Varsity and JV baseball is the gane is a step quicker. Hitters get down the line quicker so infielders have to have stronger arms. Stolen bases are a second or two quicker so your battery has to be a step quicker on both ends. Pitching on average is mid 80's vrs high 70's so hitters have to have a little quicker bat. However, most of the kids that I know at Ryle, and most high schools for that matter, have seen and have adjusted to that speed difference in summer and fall ball. Should be a fun year......GO RAIDERS

I agree the pitching is better, but an average in the mid 80's in not accurate. I doubt that it's even 80. A pitcher that throws 85mph in high school will completely dominate the game in most instances. I am aware of only four pitchers in the 9th region that will hit 85mph this year on a regular bases. Matt Nichols, Thomas Towles, Cody Elliott and Zach Adams.

As I mentioned above, pitching is a factor, but at that level it's just one of many factors. Having coached in the Cincinnati AABC league for over 20 years, evaluating tallent like judging an infielders range, the "clock in the head" therory for decission making, outfiders angles to the ball, baserunning,

blocking fastballs vrs a spinning curveball, hitting zones and hitting counts, pitching location and breaking balls ect, there is so much a 14 year old needs to understand to be a successful 16 year old player

 

I guess I understand, and am impressed with your insights; but, it is not nearly that complicated...especially in NK high school baseball. I think we're talking about favorites for the 9th Region champ in 08? The things you list are great if evaluating a player for a respective 'next level', whatever that might be at the time; but the top teams in this region will battle on the mound to decide the state representative.

You can hand select 9 kids with high grades in the areas you mentioned, but if the pitchers arent' sharp or don't stay healthy, it won't matter.

I agree the pitching is better, but an average in the mid 80's in not accurate. I doubt that it's even 80. A pitcher that throws 85mph in high school will completely dominate the game in most instances. I am aware of only four pitchers in the 9th region that will hit 85mph this year on a regular bases. Matt Nichols, Thomas Towles, Cody Elliott and Zach Adams.

 

I know for a fact, because of 2008 summer league tryouts for the Colonels and Kings, that there is quite a few more on that list. Ryle has 3 or 4 that were clocked at the 82-85 range during summer tryouts and I am sure that Cov Cath has some that throw in that range.

I agree with the posts regarding the importance of pitching, however, if a kid just throws the ball hard and doesn't have good location, he is going to get knocked around.

I agree with the posts regarding the importance of pitching, however, if a kid just throws the ball hard and doesn't have good location, he is going to get knocked around.

 

I totally agree. It has been proven time and time again...location over speed. Good example- Tom Glavine.

I know for a fact, because of 2008 summer league tryouts for the Colonels and Kings, that there is quite a few more on that list. Ryle has 3 or 4 that were clocked at the 82-85 range during summer tryouts and I am sure that Cov Cath has some that throw in that range.

 

My comment was made on Diamond Dandy's quote that "Pitching on average is in the mid 80's in high school." I took that comment to mean that if you went to every high school game and clocked every pitcher the average speed would be, give or take a mile 85mph. This means that if you go watch Bellevue play Newport or Lloyd play Heritage the average speed for the pitcher is going to be in the mid 80's. My comment was that there were very few who consistently hit the 85mph mark. Being clocked at a tryout between 82-85 doesn't equate to having a consistent range of 85mph. When you comment that the average velocity of a pitcher in high school is in the mid

80's most would assume you're including every high school not just just a select few. If you went to Ryles coach, Covington Catholic's coach or Dixie's coach and asked them what the average velocity is for every pitcher on their team who will pitch in a varsity game this year, I guarantee you it will not be in the mid 80's.

My comment was made on Diamond Dandy's quote that "Pitching on average is in the mid 80's in high school." I took that comment to mean that if you went to every high school game and clocked every pitcher the average speed would be, give or take a mile 85mph. This means that if you go watch Bellevue play Newport or Lloyd play Heritage the average speed for the pitcher is going to be in the mid 80's. My comment was that there were very few who consistently hit the 85mph mark. Being clocked at a tryout between 82-85 doesn't equate to having a consistent range of 85mph. When you comment that the average velocity of a pitcher in high school is in the mid

80's most would assume you're including every high school not just just a select few. If you went to Ryles coach, Covington Catholic's coach or Dixie's coach and asked them what the average velocity is for every pitcher on their team who will pitch in a varsity game this year, I guarantee you it will not be in the mid 80's.

 

I definitely did not mean every pitcher on Ryle or CovCath throws consistently in the mid 80's, but a few of them do. I watched a majority of these pitchers during the summer and fall and was also at some the tryouts and more than the 4 that were listed above throw consistently in that mid

80's range. It will yet to be determined if some of these pitchers will become top pitchers by also hitting spots.

Perhaps it's time to quit beating a date horse. What I was trying to say is that the comment, " Ryle has 3 or 4 that were clocked at the 82-85 range during summer tryouts and I am sure that Cov Cath has some that throw in that range," offers no support for Diamond Dandy's comment that the average speed in high school baseball is in the mid 80's.

Perhaps it's time to quit beating a date horse. What I was trying to say is that the comment, " Ryle has 3 or 4 that were clocked at the 82-85 range during summer tryouts and I am sure that Cov Cath has some that throw in that range," offers no support for Diamond Dandy's comment that the average speed in high school baseball is in the mid 80's.

 

Indeed bjim... obviously we were both trying to make a different point. I do think that most of the varsity level pitchers do throw in the 74-78 range. The real effective pitchers break the 80 mark consistently and also mix it up. The top contending teams all have these types of pitchers on their staffs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.